What was the first car you ever wanted?

warren t claim

I was clearly an Autoshitter before I knew it.

The first car I really really wanted was an early Rover 800...

rover_800-serie_502.jpg

I remember having a corgi police car one not long after they came out - it'll still be in my mum's loft come to think of it albeit modified to non-police spec with a dodgy humbrol repaint!

Believe it or not I actually wrote to Jim'll Fix It asking if I could drive one (I was about 6 at the time!) - strangely he never replied and that dream remains unfulfilled to this day.

A white Mk1 MR2 also featured highly on the wanted list around that time but I never went as far as pestering Mr Saville about it!

Just for Shep...

FirstVolvo-vi.jpg

Been there, done that! :lol: And loved it, would certainly do it again. 1978 Volvo 244GL, automatic, fuel injection, heated seats in yellow leather. I called it my Presidential Limo. The back number plate is outside on my wall even now...

That's the exact colour I'd want mine to be. Failing that, gold or metallic green would do just as well; in fact, I almost bought a 1979 GL in dark metallic green on eBay in 2003. However, I was outbid, so I bought The Volvo :)

[troll mode] Your choices are all too mainstream and not shite enough. [/troll mode]

Extra! Extra! Luxo in "TR7 not shite" claim shocker... read all about it!

I wasn't around at the time, but I imagine the TR7 was a reasonably desirable machine back in the day, unlike booby's Solara or my 25 (although there probably were a few French civil servants who'd perv over one). Of course it's shite now, like virtually every car of the era.

I owned most things I wanted. Now I'm indifferent to most cars. I don't think there is anything I badly want to own-I'd rather look at other people's cars these days.

I wanted all kinds of things - the first car I badly wanted was an Alfasud, and I had about 8 of them. Mark 1 Cooper S - had two, 928S - had one, also E30 M3 and an 8 Series. I wanted a Mark 1 Austin or Morris 1100 and had one six years ago. It was great.

Most pleasing car that I've bought after really wanting one? A 1982 Y plate 525i E28. It was everything I thought it would be - and it was 10 years old with 200'000 miles.

Often though, it's the cars you are totally indifferent about that surprise you the most.

I owned most things I wanted. Now I'm indifferent to most cars. I don't think there is anything I badly want to own-I'd rather look at other people's cars these days.

+1

Most pleasing car that I've bought after really wanting one? A 1982 Y plate 525i E28. It was everything I thought it would be - and it was 10 years old with 200'000 miles.

I had an A reg 528i SE that I quite liked. Always found the 525 a bit sluggish personally.

Often though, it's the cars you are totally indifferent about that surprise you the most.

Ain't that the truth. My Jeep is a good example. I didn't want it all that much but it was the right price, It's not as good at anything as the Range Rover, but the Jeep has this friendly feeling about it that I quite like, and a blinding stereo that is probably the only reason I've kept it.

My best mate and I had a thing about

Ford_granada_ghia_x.jpg

I've had loads of those. That one is on the wrong wheels, if it's an injection - which the front spoiler suggests...

We were only interested in the Ghia X. I have no idea what wheel the glossy Ford brochure had back in about 83 or 84.

Im with you there, but had to be the estate Version, in Light metallic Blue.......

+1

I had an A reg 528i SE that I quite liked. Always found the 525 a bit sluggish personally.

Ain't that the truth. My Jeep is a good example. I didn't want it all that much but it was the right price, It's not as good at anything as the Range Rover, but the Jeep has this friendly feeling about it that I quite like, and a blinding stereo that is probably the only reason I've kept it.

I had a couple of 528i's. One had the dogleg sport gearbox and an LSD -that was rapid enough.

I used to hate Vauxhalls - now I'm converted. By an Insignia. It's surprised me with how competent it is - I shall be sad to hand it back as it's wormed its way into my stony heart.

I shall take a photo of it.

triumph-tr6-147748a.jpg

First car I ever wanted. My godfather had one, always said I coul dhave it "when he was too old to use it" which I took to mean when I turned 17! (Cheek!) Then he died when I was 11 and (after asking my permission, bless her) my godmother sold it to pay the bills. :cry:

Never owned one yet, and I'm not sure if I ever did own one it could ever live up to my expectations. Unless it's the actual car. NUF700M (zoom!). I daren't ven check it.

200502017.jpg

Godafther's every day car was a Mini City. First car ever drove, sat on his knee (he did the pedals cos I couldn't reach) rattling around the staffordshire country lanes! :oops::shock: I had a yellow scaelextric 1275 GT though, and always wanted one. Never owned a mini though. I'd still love one, but they're just so scene-taxed to fuck I'd probably get a decent TR6 for less. Nearly.

250px-Volvo_340_GL_1990_red.jpg

Remember whiling away a very happy hour at Lancaster Volvo in cambridge sat in one of these and refusing to get out. My dad was test driving a 440 which had recently come out iirc, but i wanted the red 340 in the showroom (wih chrome window trim) so bad it hurt. I muist have been about 9. He ended up buying a cavalier (brand new) and it dropped it's oil on the driveway the day after it was delivered. Brilliant. He never liked it (after loving his mk1 and 2 cavs) and chopped it in for his first (of many) saabs 2 years later.

saab_900_turbo_black_1980.jpg

My dad bought a 9000 in 1992 and I fell in love with that, but really I wanted a 900. Had a few, only one really did it for me. Itch scratched.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMhirMw0pQINBrKzqqtgxZLhheMttCb1dIkptoXireeATj6mNrOXkavKsIwQ

Ms_tone has ALWAYS wanted a Tigra. The yoof of today, eh? Still, it's acheivable. If I see one for pennies I'll definitely snap it up for ultra brownie points.

Rover SD1 Vitesse, I've had quite a few since although my dream one was a Targa Red with the deep chin spoiler, I've had red ones and ones with the deep chin spoiler but never in the same car, oh and mine were all completely shit though I suspect even the mintiest SD1 is too. Really felt like I had achieved a personal goal when I got my first Vitesse at 19 although it was a rusty pile of crap in retrospect, ah well love is blind and all that. I still want one.

4812994095_8d07e65a28.jpg

[

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMhirMw0pQINBrKzqqtgxZLhheMttCb1dIkptoXireeATj6mNrOXkavKsIwQ

Ms_tone has ALWAYS wanted a Tigra. The yoof of today, eh? Still, it's acheivable. If I see one for pennies I'll definitely snap it up for ultra brownie points.

media?id=1779140183&width=266&height=200

Wonderfully shite green too!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201136413497467/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/500/model/tigra/make/vauxhall/page/1/quicksearch/true/postcode/pe148rp/radius/1501?logcode=p

She might like Tigras but she's still picky as fuck. She's a woman, like. If I bought one in a shit colour she'd just stare at me. No brownie points and I'd be stuck with a pale green Tigra! That's also about £200 more than I'd like to spend!

But good work, regardless.

Probably need a 1.4 too, she only passed her test this year. :oops:

She might like Tigras but she's still picky as fuck. She's a woman, like. If I bought one in a shit colour she'd just stare at me. No brownie points and I'd be stuck with a pale green Tigra! That's also about £200 more than I'd like to spend!

But good work, regardless.

Probably need a 1.4 too, she only passed her test this year. :oops:

It's only that I spotted it on there at lunchtime. Get her the 1.8, the only way they learn :evil:

My first want

102.jpg

Inspired at aged 3 and a bit as I got this (toy) car when my brother was born. Never got to buying a Ovlov though, maybe next year.

img3024copiebx1.jpg

It's almost become a cliché nowadays but back in 1998 before Drift and Tofu I really wanted a Corolla GT Coupe. At the time I'd never heard of "AE86", I just thought it was a smart looking Coupe and was told they handled well and had a decent little twincam motor.

I was about 17 back then, found a really nice one in black over silver but no licence and no hope of insuring it. Ofcourse, if I had known, that £1800 would have been a sweet little investment....

An addendum... to the "mainstream" S-Class W126 I craved and bought (Yeah, cheers, Luxo, My Scorpio was a 24V Ultima!)

There was this. I came "THIS" fucking close to owning one. Then I heard the one I was drooling over got bought by a rodder. Running gear into a yellow be-flamed flip Front Zodiac Estate!!! Restecp to the P5B. BMF 345H you died in a fitting way, and never saw a banger track.

roverP5B.jpg

I have always craved an AC Aceca Bristol or a Greyhound though. Is that niche enough Luxo?

I was clearly an Autoshitter before I knew it.

The first car I really really wanted was an early Rover 800...

rover_800-serie_502.jpg

I remember having a corgi police car one not long after they came out - it'll still be in my mum's loft come to think of it albeit modified to non-police spec with a dodgy humbrol repaint!

Believe it or not I actually wrote to Jim'll Fix It asking if I could drive one (I was about 6 at the time!) - strangely he never replied and that dream remains unfulfilled to this day.!

I was going to say, where are you based? If you are near the West Midlands, you are alway welcome to try mine:

6178281054_43336190d1_z.jpg