Hillman Imp DEG 532C

HillmanImp

Loved this story Mr Imp!! I had something simimar where a standing order mysteriously stopped and neither I nor the recipient realised for over a year. At that point although the vehicle in question never got evicted I was considering whether it needed to be sold to pay for the arrears. But ended up just payibg an extra tenner a month for a period.

When I was there yesterday I noticed that there was a planning application notice up to knock down the garages and build some houses.

post-3133-0-04496900-1520065346_thumb.jpg

The previous landlord had tried doing this several times but was always rejected permission because of the parking situation as it is traffic chaos round there.

To seemingly combat this, they demolished the knackered garages that were in the middle and turned them into parking spaces. Google earth shows how knackered the flat roofed ones were prior to them being pulled down.

post-3133-0-99226200-1520065844_thumb.png

Loads has been broken into and used for fly tipping too. It was a bit of a mess.

So they disappeared and were replaced by new shiny tarmac parking spaces but they have remained empty as they are all blocked off and its still absolute parking chaos on the road. I can only assume that they wanted to charge for parking there and the residents weren't interested. They just parked where they could in front of the garages in the compound instead as they knew which ones were in regular use.

I bumped into an old boy who has a garage opposite mine yesterday. I mentioned that my DD had not been collected since August and he said everyone else was the same. He'd bumped into someone measuring stuff in the garages one day and asked if he was from the landlord and that the rent had not been collected for ages. The chap replied and said keep paying what you currently pay into this bank account and scribbled some bank details onto a scrap of paper. The old boy sensibly told him to do one and told him to send a new contract through and has heard nowt since.

When DoubleYeller was selling his Fuego, I recognised that he was in the block of garages up the road. I PM'd him and it transpired the he was paying more a week than I was paying a month for mine. He's since moved out but saud even he can't seem to get in contact with the landlord to confirm he's gone.

Now the Imp is out though, I'm not too bothered. Will get over there and sort out the rest of the stuff in due course. Theres a mountain of Audi 100 spares to move on. The chap that bought my old one never came back for them. Might ebay them and use the proceeds to put towards one of the cars although I've been trying to give it away for years with no success so will have to see how that goes.

I recognise the many projects and none finished situation. 

Looking forward to the progress it now it is back home.

Mrs Imp spends a huge amount of time at the gym (she's there now). I have very little free time of my own. I lost my rag about this situation a while ago and its been agreed that I can have several hours of 'car time' each week so am hoping I do make progress on it. Fingers crossed.

My first proper car was an Imp  - the first car I crashed and the first car I had a shag in (events not related).   Great memories (not the crash, though or the other bit TBH) and I always regret not doing one properly (the Imp, not the other bit) as I reckon a sorted one would have been a lot better car than some of the things I had afterwards.

I think my first car shag would've been an Imp as was my first proper crash. What was the birds name? How far does this similarity go?

Hillman Imp, second in the most undesirable car list to the Renault Dauphine.

Use to wind me up when I was racing minis and an Imp went flying past.

Most of the others were thrown away years ago.No wonder they are worth squillions.

Well done, glad its still in several pieces and you have all of them.

There used to be a fair few Imps racing at Angmering oval back in the day.

Chap I bought my first one off, Andy Fraser, used to race in the big boys autograss league. He had a few but when I was about 17 he had a mid engined one with a 3.5 litre Rover V8 in it (not really an Imp anymore I guess) which just demolished the opposition.

I think my first car shag would've been an Imp as was my first proper crash. What was the birds name? How far does this similarity go?

Haha, it was Debbie (I think)....  

I remember that V8 auto-grasser.  Never saw it in action but in the pages of Motor Sport or Triple C, can't remember now.   I still hadn't passed my test when I crashed mine but spent the whole summer prior to taking it illicitly charging up and down forest fire tracks.   Sadly, my prowess on loose surfaces was no preparation for smooth tarmac and smooth tyres and with L plates still affixed I managed to wipe out two road signs and a lamp post.    Drove the car for the rest of that year though with some tin bashing and Meccano headlamp brackets!     

Mine had pristine red Chamois front seats still in it when I weighed it in, too....

Nice to see this getting some love. I think this was one of the 'original' Autoshite cars, ie you had it when I joined up nine years ago. I didn't realise you still had the GT6 too. I think the last I saw of that was the embarrassing dash cam footage!

I think I probably started sorting the Imp out properly around the same time as I joined Autoshite. Doesn't time fly? I really hope I can get cracking on it in the coming months.  

GT6 get fits of attention from me once every couple of years. Like I say, there's pretty much nothing wrong with it as I've done most of the work, there is just an absolutely huge pile of crap on top of it in the garage. Plan was to do this before the Imp but seeing the Imp on the drive, i think it will have to wait it's turn.