Recent spots - (no pictures)

MrRegieRitmo

Hmmm, I see a few unusual spots but never have a camera with me, well I have one on my phone but that means having to download all the gubbins for it.Anyway, this morning on the A1/M62 near Ferrybridge I saw a Landrover towing a generator. OK not unusual, but this one had a different front end and was badged as Santana :?: New one on me.

I saw a crash this morning involving 8 Tagoras.

Surely there aren't that many left in the whole world? Infact - did they sell that many? :lol:
Nope, the 8 in question were on a car transporter being hauled by a Ford Transcontinental, stolen 25 years ago and hidden in a warehouse on a former Army base. Have a look on the BBC Website Regie, there's a piece about this story on the North West news section :)

I heard Mollie Sugden tried to make her getaway in an Alfa 6, but got PITed by a police Barkas minibus.

this one had a different front end and was badged as Santana :?:

That would have been a Santana Anibal. They look like a Defender but they're even more utilitarian - a bit like a series vehicle underneath (i.e. leaf springs) with a nice rear door that's wide enough to take a pallet. Paradoxically, their interiors are a bit plusher than a Defender and they have a rather nice 2.8 turbodiesel, with (iirc) a proper injector pump. It doesn't seem like they've managed to sell many, even though they're fairly cheap. Utilishite!

Edited to add: Possibly against the spirit of the thread, but here's a picture of one from when they first started importing them in 2003:

Posted Image

Importing them from where? So a company somewhere is bastardising LRs & expecting us to take them back again!

They are made in Spain, by Santana, who used to assemble Landies in an agreement with LR. When LR bought out the Defender in 1984, this lot kept on building the series 3, (maybe LR wouldn't let them build the Defender?), and now they presumably have the woldwide rights to build what is in effect a heavily modified Series 3.They are not that cheap for what they are i.e. fuggin basic compared to anything else 4wd bar a Tata, and the fact that the sales/service back up is pretty minimal, dosen't exacly mean they are popular (the only dealer I've seen was a place on the A23 nr Hurstpierpoint that did plant hire).

'Wild Gourmets' or summink.In between finding food in the hedgerows and cooking it (incidentally making it palatable by using all manner of herbs spices they'd never have found in the British undergrowth - chili and chocolate for example) they drove through streams and puddles in one of they Santanas - confused that pants off me.(Two Fat Ladies used a motorbike and side car :shock: )

This morning I saw a gold bodykitted MkIII Capri, looked a bit tasteless. I think it was X reg. I got the camera phone out ready but couldn't get near it, then I had to stop for petrol & all hope was lost.It's a bold challenge trying to photograph stuff on the road, not only have you got to hope for a kind traffic jam or a target that isn't going too fast, you've also got to keep your road awareness in check & your wits about you incase the rozzers spot you not driving with due care & attention! Is it all worth it we ask ourselves! (for a moving Talbot Tagora, the answers yes!)Also saw coming home in the dark, a late series 3 Allegro, in white, also X reg I believe.

It's a bold challenge trying to photograph stuff on the road, not only have you got to hope for a kind traffic jam or a target that isn't going too fast, you've also got to keep your road awareness in check & your wits about you incase the rozzers spot you not driving with due care & attention! Is it all worth it we ask ourselves!

It's not only bloody hard, it's also downright illegal. Besides, you think it's difficult while driving, just try it while riding a bike. Managed to whack my knackers on the headset after clobbering a kerb in the course of trying to photograph an '85 Bluebird estate on the move, the pain would have been worth it had the damn camera saved the photo to memory Posted Image

In my line of employment... spotted a silver A-reg Fiesta yesterday, came in as scrap; last week a light blue metallic C-reg Nissan Sunny (or is it called a Cherry?), same again. The Fiesta looked past it but the Nissan was a good 'un. Alas it is no more.I 'spot' lots of similar cars on a regular basis & know their eventual demise... if I could save them I would, but then I would have my own scrapyard full of cars ! Doesn't make it any less saddening seeing them getting ripped to bits.A good thing is that a tidy D-reg poverty Capri has been put to one side & also a reasonable Sierra 2.8 Turbo Technics too. For who or what reason I dunno.

• 3 weeks later...

In the spirit of Rich's original post, would a light green, abandoned-looking A-reg Alfa 33 be considered a sufficiently notable spot without photographic evidence? Especially seeing as it appeared to retain its original wheeltrims? Clocked on the northbound verge of the A37 a couple of miles south of Yeovil yesterday morning if anybody fancies getting a shot. Would have done so myself had I not been running late for the Channel Ferry

Gutted, Whilst in Morrisons carpark the other day, and on the phone bollocking a mate about his 'extra' marital affairs, a pristine 'Sid and Doris' All-aggro Estate chugged past, GRRRRR!

Got some stuff on my phone, but most of its very blurry (the BX vibrates a lot you see) - did spot a nice rare Z1 yesterday, right hooker - I thought they were only ever LHD - so was this a custom job, kit job or home conversion? I do have a blurry photo of this to update the NorthWest Autoshite thread sometime.... Ah, crap photography, my forte!Yes its in keeping with the thread (because though I have a photo its utterly nrecognisable!)