Get orf my land you bloody peasants - New Scooby

scooters

Having felt the bitter lash of Mrs Scooters tounge on seeing her latest Chariot (the 306) I quickly ruched out and tok custodianship of this pony club, labrador barbour jacket, no cash we're aristo's you know:

scooby.jpg

Tis a 1996 Scooby Legacy AWD 2.5 Auto in green with optional straw and dog hairs!

Mrs S says she will have fun wearing a fake Hermes headscarf, and big shades and bullying the neuvaux riche in their frightfully common cream coloured Rangie Sports. She'll need to get some appropriate stickers: "Hoot 4 Hunting", "Horse and Hound" and "Cheltenham, Prestbury Park Members Parking"...(of course my RR sticker will lower te tone)

GR9 4 CARRYING 2 TONS HORSE SHIT & PRENENDING YR PRINCESS ANNE BLOODY PEASANTS

mate at work bought an auto scooby a few years ago

the transmission failed and it cost him a lot

are they "sealed for life" like modern PugCits? PugCits are becoming a bit famous for lunching their auto trans after 100,000 miles if you don't change the fluid (and it's a very special Esso one).

mate at work bought an auto scooby a few years ago

the transmission failed and it cost him a lot

are they "sealed for life" like modern PugCits? PugCits are becoming a bit famous for lunching their auto trans after 100,000 miles if you don't change the fluid (and it's a very special Esso one).

this one has 150k on the clock and seems pretty tight mechanically - It's not exactly costing a lot and if it lunches it's auto box then it will get weighted in and a volvo/merc bougteth...stop gap till I can to get the doris a peepul cawwywer.

If I get 6 months good use 0ut of it I'll be happy and it might be handy should we get a harsh winter..

gas consumption wise I know it is hardly going to be cheap - thing is the purchase cost of 1.6 estate cars/MPVs is way beyond their mechanical reliability worth due to the demand from punters for frugal family cars...if you want to spend tap all on a reliable decent sized family car then you usually are getting somthing with a larger engine. Gas wise it is a non turbo - my 850 AWD and 940 Sport were both souped up with larger turbochargers than standard so there was a consequence in running costs. If thge doris is driving this one mainly then less gas will be used as she is a lot more gentle with the revs - yes it will cost but at the end of the day we have realised that all motoring has a cost somewhere - pov spec or not.

interestingly enough - cheaper to insure than the 306...fancy that...probably cos there is a ned scene with 306 Tdi's.

So whats happened with the 306 then?

still got it Mr B...

have a thought process along these lines:

Gotta really watch the pennies just now so Mrs S uses the Scoob as a daily.

306 needs a bit of work - handbrake cable and engine mount - neither that urgent if you park like a german - the engine mount is easy for me but hand brake cables - not so easy due to current physical condition...I may have to outsource this work. It's done 180k but as per my other post, except for the locks and the above but it does the job, cheaply and quickly if you want it to.

I'll use the 306 until I collect your old Cavalier off Billy. We might do a swap deal of some sort if that happens - Billy seems to really like the Cavalier and is using it in preference to some of his other fleet so I'd be ok if he wants to hold onto it - if not, still happy to take it on, It's such a good example of a giffer's Cav and with the work you put into it we need to 'keep it in the family' so to speak! I'm in hospital on the 6th September and then will have recovery time after that not gonna happen in the near future. One thing is looking increasingly likely and that is that I wil probably have to sell the Yugo- since last year my insurance premiums have trebled (insurance infliation and two claims the cause) now the Yugo gosts tap all to insure but I'm going to have to use the revenue from the sale to fund the RFL and some of the insurance on one of the two cars. Unfortunately we do need 2 - my work involves a bit of driving - both Cav and 306 are ideal and the Missus has the usual pressures of a suburban mum...this was brought home to us on going to Tesco yesterday with the family to do a months shop in the Yugo! Had to return the bog roll as there was nowhere to put it!

It's a shame cos the Yugo is running brilliantly since I sorted the recharging system and is such a hoot to drive but needs must. Will get a for sale thread up soon.

ooerr missus...

that's me back from collecting it..it's better than I anticipated...much better...had been stood for a while except from this morning when the vendor took it for a wash etc.

It's a 2.5 Quad Cam AWD non Turbo Auto...gawd knows what the twin turbo version of this car is like 'cos the one I have is bloody quick for a big car. Auto box seems excellent. Good news is there is no over complex hill braking mechanism or air suspension to worry about. This isn't an Outback so continual AWD though a viscous coupling. No tow bar which is god news.

General condition is fair - a wee bit of rust here and there but it has all been treated/kept on top of. These cars are ofen critisised for being spartan...quite a god thing cos there is less to break and what there is is as tough as old boots.

It's got:

front foggies

sports pipe (a bit bling)

recently painted alloys

4 v good tyres

7 months MOT

Air con ( not working)

Cruise Control (not working and might be an afermarket model as the standard CC for these has a different button set up - I will have a fiddle)

heavy duty plastic boot load guard (GR84 RUBBLE)

and that is about it..

Blasted back the 20 miles ver quickly indeed and put it throgh it's paces. The only issue I noticed was a knocking rear offside Bush and I suspect that one of the rear springs might need looking at (probably some bird blatting it over a speed bump at speed!) But that is it. It had been stood for a while cos in the first 3 miles when standing at lights there was the horrible burning smell you get when a brake is binding a bit or a belt sticking - after a quick blitz it all went away. Oil is clean as you like. Car has done 145k - FSH to 80K then owner before last was an owners club member and serviced it himself and with a mechanic for the next - car does seem to have been looked after. If we hold onto it I will get the cambelt done - with the quad cam it is probably a very complex job.

I've heard the HGs of these 2.5 engines are prone to bursting - I might drop a bottle of K seal in to protect it - always a good idea with a dodgey head design - nips problems in the bud.

Really like it - big grin, the doris likes it as well so we will see how we get on.

I really rate these old Scoobys, I used to drive a lot of them around 1997-2001 time and always came back from the garage refreshed and grinning, I would really like an Outback model, now they were classy, San Diego.

I'd be interested to see what it's like on fuel though, whether it really is that juicy or not.

chap who sold it to me recoked (if you behave yourself) on a run you can get 29-33mpg...mixed about 26 and in town about 20-21...not great but the 240 Torslanda was worse than that with its underpowered 2.0lt engine and the turbos on the 850 AWD....well..ahem...

mind you - cooking 95 RON was under 1.30 a lt in Sainsburys edinburgh today - it's been a while since I've seen that..maybe it's getting a bit cheaper after all...

I'll be using the 306 for a bit and the TD gives you a good 40mpg so we can save a bit using that as a town runabout ...that is when we're not using YUGO POWAH :P

our one had a fubared over fuelling porblem - one of those error codes that could be anything. Apparantly still has it, sold it to Mr Glover's parents - suspect it is a dodgey radio supressor of all things! apparantly they are prone to it. Anyway - hence the bad MPG - it was ok is on the open road but really bad...Double Six bad in town

Having felt the bitter lash of Mrs Scooters tounge on seeing her latest Chariot (the 306) I quickly ruched out and tok custodianship of this pony club, labrador barbour jacket, no cash we're aristo's you know:

scooby.jpg

Tis a 1996 Scooby Legacy AWD 2.5 Auto in green with optional straw and dog hairs!

Is that Glenrothes in the pic? New town houses.... Could be Livingston?

BMW/Land Rover

There's a lot of this sealed for life crap out there. Its a scam to keep the servicing costs down over the first three years but it leads to £2-3k bills on 5-8 year old cars.

scooby.jpg

Is that Glenrothes in the pic? New town houses.... Could be Livingston?

well spotted!

Livingston...got flippin soaked walking from the station to the vendor's house

You live4 in Fox Hat? Where the Achtermuchty is that Tiff?

BMW/Land Rover

There's a lot of this sealed for life crap out there. Its a scam to keep the servicing costs down over the first three years but it leads to £2-3k bills on 5-8 year old cars.

This is a 1997 Legacy which means it has the trusty old 4EAT 4 speed auto box - essentially based on an old JATCO box. They used it from 1988 till 1997..later models of Scoovb have the more 'modern' auto boxes. The gear oil has to be changed on the button because it has a lock up torque convertor rather for top gear rather than a 3 speed box with an over drive - this essentially works like a centrafugal clutch on a Daf but uses viscous coupling in the gear box. As far as I am aware, this is not a sealed unit and predates the Japanese strategy of sealing components. The box is also found in Mazdas, the Ford Ka and Nissan Pathfinders - it is tried and tested but like any viscous coupling, needs care. it needs 9.5 lt of Auto Trans Fluid and 4 lt of oil

for th transmission alone

The other things you have to watch out for are the diff lube and head gaskets - replacing the head gasket on one of these is meant to be a total nightmare - often easier to replace the engine - I may just bung in a bottle of K Seal as a safety catch

...gawd knows what the twin turbo version of this car is like 'cos the one I have is bloody quick for a big car.

Ms RT recently bought the big brother of yours, a 2002 Forester. It's "only" the 2 litre non turbo model, but it goes like shit off a shovel. Well, it does if you can ignore the fuel gauge going down as fast as the speedo goes up.

We've got a SAAB 92x (Subaru Impreza Sportwagon) over in Florida with this 2.5L engine.

It gets anywhere between 19~23 (US) MPG with general driving - and up to 27 (US) MPG if on a long run.

They are pretty poor on the fuel but very reliable cars.

several days of using this now...some car indeed...

Only two issues I have found so far, firstly there was an ominous knock from the rear offside....sleepless nights over broken springs and wrestling with shot bushes...this afternoon I jacked it up and the relief wqas palpable when I checked the suspension, brakes and exhaust - nothing shoogling, all solid - wil need some new rear discs at some point but looking pretty tidy albeit non protected surfaces heavily rusted - I traced the course of the kock to a rusted through hand brake cable bracket knocking against the leading suspension arm - a snip to remove it and cable ties to secure it and voila - no more knocking.

I am sure as fellow shitters, you know that feeling of smug relief when an issue which may prove terminal/horribly expensive turns out to be a 2 min job with a couple of 5p cable ties!

The other issue won't be so easy to resolve - there is an oil leak from the offside of the engine leaking onto the exhaust manifold and causing smoke and smells as it burns off. Looks like it might be a rocker gasket but it wants further investigation. I also note there is a power steering leak at the back of the PS reservoir - this can also be a cause of this and is apparantly a common fault so we will have to have a looksee - despite the honk in traffic jams the leak is very slight and the level of oil in the engine and OS fluid - is holding up pretty well. Chap who had it before me said that the car had sat for 2 months so there is slightly more fluid on the manifold than before will check again when it has burnt off a bit.

Other than that the car has some corrosion - the actual painted bits are not too bad but there are some under car components that have suffered badly especially clamps and hangers..I suspect in one or two cases there has been some electrolization due to miss matched metals in the components and fastenings.

The exhaust is a rude boys effort - looks ok on one of these I suppose in the way it looks crap on a SAXO. Front manfold ain't great but the expensive bits (cat and back) look pretty sound and in ood condition.

Missus likes it a lot and you can be a bit of a child.

I am obviously getting middle aged as I really like the automatic giffer box in estate cars these days.

will get the camera out and some pics up tomorrow

Ouch!

Boxer engines....the rocker gasket kits (complex affairs) are

80 quid a side!!!

Fitting em is an under car job and is fiddly as you like

Daf 44 flat 2 it ain't

Where do you buy your car parts from? - 'cos I'll not be getting anything from that place!

!ByEom1!EGk~$(KGrHqUOKiEEwPt(9JhpBMQMT8oJjw~~_12.JPG

£11.00 + £2.00 P&P

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMPREZA-LEGACY-2-5-96-98-ROCKER-GASKET-SET-LH-/310234488211?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item483b6a9d93

Ouch!

80 quid a side!!!

Daf 44 flat 2 it ain't

Where do you buy your car parts from? - 'cos I'll not be getting anything from that place!

£11.00 + £2.00 P&P

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMPREZA-LEGACY-2-5-96-98-ROCKER-GASKET-SET-LH-/310234488211?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item483b6a9d93

U IS A DOOD MUCS RESPEK

Last owner must have replaced the rims. Good cetanos all round but a flat on Sunday and 2 more this am..just dropped it round national for grinding and refitting....flippin alloys

Ouch!

80 quid a side!!!

Daf 44 flat 2 it ain't

£11.00 + £2.00 P&P

U IS A DOOD MUCS RESPEK

Last owner must have replaced the rims. Good cetanos all round but a flat on Sunday and 2 more this am..just dropped it round national for grinding and refitting....flippin alloys