Just how shite are C15's?

pogweasel

Contemplating buying a Citroen C15 to use for work. Masochistic? Can't be less reliable and less pleasant to drive than my current Astra, can it? I know it will be a fair chunk slower, but I care not for such fripperies as speed if it means that it will get there eventually rather than expiring on the hard shoulder. I've had experience of Citroen LCV's before after a brief stint with a Berlingo. Not a happy one either: again this was an unreliable pile of shit - 2.0HDi so went like stink but broke down often. These C15's, what lump is that some kind of stone-age device? Presumably wvo compliant too?An added appeal is that they seem to be ludicrously cheap and have a delightfully "peasanty" charm. Have I gone mad?

The C15Ds have the old 1769cc XUD lump as fitted to the 205, and will be OK with veg oil as long as they have the Bosch pump. They're actually not that bad to drive (never actually driven one though - I'm basing my comments on a diesel Visa I drove some years back), they're reasonably nippy when unladen, the suspension is nice and soft in typical French style and the XUD engines pretty much go on forever. As you say, they have the added advantage of being around the cheapest van you can buy for any given year - probably due to the ancient design. If you're going for an older or high mileage one look out for rust though.

Don't buy a 1868cc-engined one, which the later ones were. It's the HDI lump with the direct-injection stuff removed, and has a tendency to throw rods through the block etc.If you're looking at an XUD one, non-turbos don't tend to blow headgaskets or cylinder heads but I'd want some proof of regular coolant changes. Either that, or give it a good flush yourself, change the thermostat, bleed it properly (not as easy as it sounds) and, if the radiator looks dodgy, change that too.

AFAI can see, theyre pretty shonkily made, but they are so cheap and simple you can't go far wrong (unless you happen to be my mum). As Welf says, the engines in younger ones seem to be a bit fragile like.French farmers worship em though so they must have some appeal.

I was absolutely astounded when I went to the commercial vehicle show in 2004 and discovered they still made them!I think production has ended since though.We had a couple as work vans a few years ago. a C15e 1.1 petrol on an E and a C15D in a K i think.The Diesel was noticeably faster than the petrol!Both have a roly poly 2cv ish ride and typically citroeny squashy seats.I think a trip to the chiropractor would be on the cards for anyone who tried to drive one all day.

Super. The one closest to me is a '52 reg which has eaten it's engine and had an old XUD chucked in instead of the 1868. Soopa.

Sounds like the perfect combo. Sling in a Recaro, break out the Waxoyl and enjoy a long and fruitful life together. Sorted - respect due :lol:

if you want something reliable buy a jap i have had jap cars for years and alot of my mates by non jap and they spend a fortune on their cars.just sold my carina e 1.8 brill on fuel cost me less than £150 in parts over 8 years. my cars get hammered towing classics on an a-frame or on a transporter. i only sold it because it was too big for the misses as she had just passed her test.would deffo have another one 1.8 is better on fuel than the 1.6 dont touch the 2.0 as they are very thirsty.same goes for the avensis.

Sound advice Aled, but yer man wants a car-derived van, and I would have thought the only Jap alternative would be the old Sunny job from the mid-90s... Seriously though, I reckon the Carina E is under-rated (SL will be along in a minute to wax lyrical) and bloody economical for a petrol midsize motor. I contemplated buying an estate a little while back, but they aren't massive in the loadbay and anyway, I got outbid in the end.

I've got a '00 plater. The DW8 engine is fine -so far. I wouldn't give a toss which engine it came with to be honest. XUD replacements are plentiful anyway in case things go wrong. Brakes are crap. Mine came with skinny little 13" wheels which I swapped out for 14" ZX volcane wheels - the handling's much improved.Cheap as chips though, so you can overlook its shortcomings. You won't get a cheaper commercial unless it has Tata in the name :D Thumbs up from me.

i dont mind driving shite as long as it is reliable

Posted Image

been there driven shite got stranded for hours that is why jap is the only way forward for me.

this is my opinion that others might not share. i do like the pug and the renno diesel engines but the build quality of the cars let tham down.

Is that a Husky or a Commer Cob? I followed an absolutely mint one of those on the Bank Holiday weekend.I don't disagree with you on the Jap front as a principle BTW - it's one of the reasons why we're sacking off my wife's Fabia in favour of a Honda Accord.Ren/Pug/Cits have only got unreliable as the electronic content has increased. A C15 is about as basic as it gets, ergo it should be more reliable :lol: