Latest acquisition

wuvvum

I was given this last week in lieu of money owed.

Posted Image

The X1/9, that is, not (alas) the Cortina. It's been off the road for nine years but with some fresh petrol and a tow behind my trusty Favorit it soon burst into life. It seems to drive fine - brakes are free, clutch is good and it doesn't overheat, so in that respect it's better than many on-the-road X1/9's. It's a 1500 5-speed. It has some rust, bits around the rear arches and valance and a small hole in the top of the NSF wing, but as these things go it's reasonably solid overall. It also has a leather interior, and a huge wodge of history, including the original bill of sale and more or less every MoT. Problems (apart from general scruffiness due to long storage) include no keys (steering lock has been removed so it can be driven), the headlights don't work (I think this is a wiring/switch/fuse problem rather than any issue with the headlamp motors as all lights go off when the switch is pushed to the headlights position - sidelights work fine) and some plonker's cut off the front bumper at some stage, although I do have this to go back on. Everything else works - wipers, washers, indicators, brake lights, reversing lights, heater fan, and the superb '80s radio cassette. All tyres are good. What do you reckon it'd make on the Bay? I can't justify keeping it as I already have way too many Italian cars clamouring for my limited time, but the X1/9's I've seen on the Bay recently seem to either be taxed & tested or rotten as a pear - there doesn't seem to be anything in between. I'd like to think it's worth at least a couple of hundred quid - is that realistic do you reckon?

Posted Image

I learnt from bitter experience that these things can look fairly solid but have serious rot almost anywhere. The rear turrets, the mounting points for the rear suspension. That's even when the floor and sills are MOTable. You must be lucky if the calipers are free after 9 years, especially the rear ones. They partially seize even on cars in use. Don't even get me going on the front to rear water pipes, the weak gearboxes and the rubbish electrics. Still, some dedicated sole will no doubt snap it up.