BMW 318is, do tell

Torsten2001

So me and a mate just bought this to move on:

252001_10150410699367977_503887976_10589821_2057765_n.jpg

I know bugger all about these, it's a manual, 102k, 1 family from new, full BMW history, passed the MOT yesterday, what are they worth and are they any cop?

I have no idea what it's worth; but I own an E36 version so can give some basic information about the concept. Bar the M3 (E30) they are probably the best four cylinder, road going BMW ever made. This is unusual as they tend to skip that layout in favour of the fast sixes.

The engine is all alloy, with a 16 valve head, no VANOS, and chain driven. It's far more sophisticated than the belt driven, iron lump in the normal 318. It also has distributorless ignition and multi-point electronic ignition. It's a hell of a spec for the time and light-years ahead of the competition. Recall that you could buy new Pinto powered stuff in 1988. I believe they can warp if not looked after. Regular oil changes, by regular I mean like clockwork, and coolant flushing is the order of the day. Beware one without service history.

The E30 chassis is supposedly more involving than later variants. And it looks nice so is worth more. Beware rust; but others know more about that than I.

Handling was also improved. The S stands for sport; you get the idea. E36 models are commonly used for M3 conversions; so they're good. Suspension is lowered and stiffened. I don't know about revised geometry but I would have thought so as mine has an extremely aggressive ride. As for the E30; I would suppose similar mods have been made but it is not comparable as the rear end is an earlier design.

At the time it was available, in E30 guise, only as a two door. Saloons were sold in LHD markets but never over here. It was seen as a poor relation to the sixes for many years and they didn't sell that many. Conversely the E36 was popular. It should out-perform all others bar the 325i and M3. The engine pushes out 147 BHP, which for a naturally aspirated four is massive, and willingly does so. They like to rev. They have no torque. Hold on to the lower gears as otherwise you'll be disappointed. My car doesn't feel very fast. It's not by modern standards; but it will keep up with traffic. Great fun on twisty roads; the best handling car I've ever driven. Feels far more secure than a hatchback.

Mein!:

DSC04367.jpg

Is that blue one def a 318is? either someone has robbed it of all its I.S goodies (like BBS alloys and front chim spoiler) or its just a 318i.

As for one to watch, maybe, as the cost of fuel increases they are getting more popular with young enthusiasts and they were never made for more than a couple of years. Don't listen to the hype about them, some of the bollox spouted about them is just silly, its just a 1.8 16v kicking out 130-135bhp in a big car, not exactly mental and you have to really work it to get it to perform.

I've had one for the last 18 months, I also own a 325i, I find the 318is a good daily as its ok on fuel and the handling is better than the 325i I have however it is no match for a 325i in outright performance or smoothness...or sound.

I think it is a 318is, check the seats and the rear spoiler. It looks like it's been robbed of it's BBS wheels and chin spoiler though.

Yeah, it looks like it's running 325 bottletops rather than the correct the BBS wheels. Although an engine money shot will sort everything out, like minge.

Deffo an is, engine is right, spoiler and V5.

Pog pointed out the wheels and valance on FB, I knew about the valance but assumed the wheels were correct. It was a father, and daughter ownership from new we believe so we're assuming the it started life with steels and they were swapped for those bottle tops, good history though and original dealer plates!

The BBS alloys may have been swapped for bottle-tops through either damage or mere preference. As I understand it all is models came with BBS alloys. The chin spoiler might also have been damaged/worn and removed.

This is what it should look like:

20596700001_large.jpg

Clearer shot of the alloys and chin spoiler:

800px-1990-1991_BMW_318is_%28E30%29_2-door_sedan_02.jpg

Source yourself some alloys and chin spoiler and you should be laughing.

[pedant] You could buy and I.S E30 with either 14" Steelz with plastic trims (rare) 14" BBS cross-spokes or 15" cross-spokes [pedant/]

If it were me I'd be tempted to buy some 15" BBS and a front I.S spoiler then chuck it on the E30 zone sales section, you'll probably have a shit-load of 18-year old mongs contact you though. Reckon a half decent set of 15"s with tyres and a spoiler will set you back up to £250.

It looks like a rare(ish) Lazer blue one. It's also a Scottish registration and it could be as rotten as a pear - you need to pull the boot carpet trims out and have a good prod. Also rear ach lips, bottoms of the front wings, front floor lifting pads etc.

Only nice ones are worth coin - £1500 for something tidy, MOT'd and uptogether and about £3000 for a pearl. Most of them need a grand spending to make them good and there are very few genuinely good ones left - wishbones and rear beam bushes, welding, brake pipes, rusty fuel tank, prop donut etc. The engine is pretty good but this was the M42 in its infancy - it has the timing chain idler gear as opposed to the chain curved guide on the later E36, and if it starts on three cylinders before latching onto four, the head's cracked.

Yes, it's got the wrong wheels - they need changing for the correct rimmage if you're going to get decent till for it.

Getting rid of that tatty old front index plate,and even cleaning the wheels and having tidy center caps will make it look something special again.I don't think the wheels 'spec' is the bee all and end all - if you sold it to a young boy racer,the poor thing would be lowered into the tarmac,and on 17" wheels before sundown ! It's amazing what a proper wash and wax session can do for a cars appeal