Brown Arrow shite...

Wilko220

On 09/08/2021 at 20:45, Noel Tidybeard said:

i do like an arrow

Indeed.  You know what they say: "Time flies like an Arrow, fruit flies like a banana".  Now that's out of my system...

THIS CAR IS FANTASTIC!  My Uncle Dave had a series of Hunters when I was but a sprog; always the faster 1725cc versions - was there a Hunter with the Holbay engine?

@Dj_efk Not all that durable?  Ahem!

2707589585_993d03729e_z.jpg

Famously modelled by Corgi after its London-to-Sydney win; and never in any other guise!

il_794xN.1970262639_lefc.jpg

And probably on the (considerable) strength of that win:

9781780882383.jpg

My friend in Cyprus, and her husband, bought a brand-new Hunter at export rate and drove it to his new job; Edinburgh to Zambia!  This is her book telling the story (in which I get a mention in acknowledgements).

Also, just ask another member of this forum @PaykanHunter!

Like most old cars, all they really need is some tlc.  The Hunter's problem is that the moment the mk3 Cortina came out, Hunter was out of fashion, and has long remained so among the blue-oval fanboys.  Now there are so few left, prices are beginning to rise; they're already beyond what I could justify for one.  I would though, if I found one suitable.  I've had three, the last being a 1969 Sceptre, but even that was 37 years ago.  It was an unwanted trade-in at Ginger McCain's (the racehorse trainer) and had been used for encouraging the horses to run up and down Southport beach.  I had to clean the sand out of the tyres and the straw out of the boot.

@Wilko220 Top job!

5 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

.....  I've had three, the last being a 1969 Sceptre, but even that was 37 years ago.  It was an unwanted trade-in at Ginger McCain's (the racehorse trainer) and had been used for encouraging the horses to run up and down Southport beach.  I had to clean the sand out of the tyres and the straw out of the boot....

That might be worth something now as racing memorabilia. Wonder if it's still around?

2 hours ago, Dj_efk said:

I would strongly recommend an electronic ignition kit - quality points and condensers are now hard to find.

Thanks for your nice comments :)

Was able to overhaul the ignition system recently, with new coil, contact set, condenser and rotor arm at a total cost of about £65 - so keeping things original for the time being. But will see how things go and keep that in mind - I know it's a common modification people make on these.

7 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

That might be worth something now as racing memorabilia. Wonder if it's still around?

You can check for SWF 87H if you like, but I remember taking it to our local Irish Travelling Folk in 1984.  Chances are even the fridges it became have been scrapped now!