Brown Arrow shite...

Wilko220

Dear Wilko220! Welcome to the ARROW FAMILY mate!!!!... Congratulations!!!!! thanks for saving another Rootes gem! ;)

Unfortunately or fortunately, the Humber Sceptre trim was never available in Iran. The Paykan was produced in Iran from 1967-2005 there are still lots of spare parts available for them, cause believe it or not they are still making the Pick-up version over there with the now fuel Injected Rootes 1.6L engine that was used on the Avengers. All Paykans had the 1725cc engine till the late 70s or so, when they start switching to the 1.6L engine.

Of course SpeedySpare is your first choice for parts, but you can always count on Axis of Evil too in the future! ;) matter of fact my mate Kamshots already hook Seth up with few bits and pieces from his last trip to Iran!

I personally imported a 1968 Singer Gazelle last year from UK to this side of the pond, later though I found out that there are only 5 or 6 of the Gazelle trim, which was an UK only model has survived so far!

Of course for a whole lot more info and photos you can check out my Blog: http://www.PaykanHunter.com

BTW; here is a picture of the limited edition Hillman Hunter Topaz.

My 1968 Singer Gazelle

Gazelle-4.jpg

Northen Tehran, this is from few years ago. These days you don't see as many of them as here, I counted more than 30 of them alone in this snap shot!

4233299827_e3cf5ea8e3_b.jpg

Early Advert for Paykan

Paykan-1967-01125.jpg

The Paykan Facelift, done in 1979-80 by Rootes Design Team

6938_orig.jpg

Bardo production lot, as far as I could gather the production line still is up and running in western Iran now

IMG37.jpg

Thanks John - likewise!

For everyone else, tonight I trekked up the M1 to collect some bits for the Sceptre, taken from the scrap car pictured earlier in this thread - including an original steering wheel, and an illuminated headlamp switch seemingly rarer than a copy of 'Fly Fishing' by J.R. Hartley. Rootes was also able to sort me out with five wheels to replace the Ford Rostyles, one of which, my friends at Stapletons discovered, has a big hole in it.

While I'm at it, big thanks also to another forum member, Maxustaxus, who not only helped me out with a temporary bodge on the headlights, but has also given me a set of wheel trims he had spare.

I will put up a proper update and pics in due course - but just wanted to say thanks to both John and Ozzie, both of whom have gone out of their way to be helpful :D

• 4 weeks later...
Any updates?

It's currently in the paintshop. After doing a bit of prep to the worst bits myself, I decided to invest in the services of a professional and took it to a small place called SWB in Amersham for a respray. He's hanging on to it for a little while, not least because he's stripping off part of the vinyl roof to address some ominous looking bubbling underneath. Can't wait to get it back, get the chrome trim back on and admire the result. I'll post some pics obviously.

Over the next few days (time permitting) I'll be refurbishing the wheels that you kindly sourced for me (along with the hubcaps generously donated by AS member maxustaxus), so that it can lose the Rostyles (one of which, unhelpfully, has a hole in it). Then it's sorting out the dodgy electrics after that - which is the most daunting bit I have to say...

Other jobs to be done include fitting the original steering wheel, repairing the driver's seat and refurbishing the interior wood trim. On the mechanical side, my local tyre shop has identified a steering problem (unnoticeable while driving) which I need to investigate too. Sadly my ridiculous working hours and total lack of work/life balance mean it's likely to be a slow road to total completion... but I'll get there!

• 1 month later...
This is currently for sale in South Africa.

"1972 Hillman Vogue with a 1.6 Peugeot engine"

Thanks for posting that! I did a bit more research into them, the South African Hunters are very interesting indeed!

In the world of Arrow series it can't get anymore bizarre than this! Instead of using the Rootes 1725cc engine Chrysler installed the 1600 from the Peugeot 404 in order to comply with local content requirements in South Africa (other reports suggests they used the 2.0L engine from the Peugeot 504 on post 74 models).

4705601946_018f1358e2.jpg

1974 Hillman Vouge (South Africa) by IFHP97, on Flickr

B36013-2.jpg

• 2 months later...

Conscious of the fact that I've been quite rubbish at keeping everyone up to date with the progress of my Sceptre resto, I went and took a few pictures today. Progress isn't exactly quick but everything seems to be going as well as could be expected.

Main areas of major OMG corrosion were the two wings, both of which are knackered, and the driver's side rear wheelarch. As you can see one of the new wings (pattern part supplied by Ex-Pressed Panels) is on, and it's an excellent fit. My man with the skillz has also welded on the new arch which is looking grand too. The observant amongst you will also notice that the vinyl roof has gone - it was a bit flaky under there as well...

photo%2525201.JPG

A couple of issues at the front and back but nothing too serious. A new plate has had to be welded where the rear bumper fits on and, a bit more complicatedly, a new piece has had to be made for the headlamp surround where the new wing has been fitted. Thanks to rootes_arrow1725 for the burgundy fuel cap...

photo%2525202.JPG

photo%2525203.JPG

Because the original Rootes metallic brown colour is no longer available, after the respray it'll be a close match but not exact - so all the doors are coming off for the shuts and insides to be done. Seats are coming out next.

photo%2525205.JPG

And finally, GR9 FOTO SKILLZ here just to show that I've put on the first of my new-old wheels, saved from a scrapper in Leicester. Pretty sure the Rostyles will be going - unless I have a change of heart. Most people I ask seem to think I should keep them but I'm a sucker for originality - and I have whole three wheel trims...

photo%2525204.JPG

Anyway, all very exciting stuff. Further updates to follow when there's some more progress.

Thanks for the update...

Looks like work is comming along nicely, better steady and thorough than too fast.

I have contacted the garage where your car is and will be arranging to have my yellow Sceptre Estate taken down there this month. I had hoped to get round to arrange it this week, but work commitments are a bit tight at present.

Lets hope all continues smoothly.

Thanks for the update...

Looks like work is comming along nicely, better steady and thorough than too fast.

I have contacted the garage where your car is and will be arranging to have my yellow Sceptre Estate taken down there this month. I had hoped to get round to arrange it this week, but work commitments are a bit tight at present.

Lets hope all continues smoothly.

Thanks mate!

Really glad to hear you are getting your Sceptre sorted now - it'll be an absolutely ace example once it's done. And I agree - let's all see a few pictures!

• 1 year later...

It's been a long time coming but, 14 months after my last update, I can now offer another one on my 'Umber.

Progress has been very slow for a number of reasons, not least the chap who is storing it and doing the respray for me losing his premises. He's now in a new (bigger, better and closer to me) place though, so it's all good and things are back on track.

It's now sitting in the spray booth ready to be done in the next few days. Although the original Rootes colour (Sunset Bronze, if I remember rightly) is no longer available, we've managed to find a Fiat paint which is a very close match - so it'll be done in that.

Here's a few pics for you - hope to have more updates before too long.

photo%25201.JPG

photo%25202.JPG

photo%25203.JPG

photo%25205.JPG

• 4 months later...

So, I finally have the Sceptre back in my possession. Sorry I have been so poor at providing a running commentary on the work but hopefully I can make up for it now with a shed load of pictures.

In the last two years, it's had new wings, a new rear wheel arch and a rebuilt headlamp mounting panel, the vinyl roof stripped off, followed by a complete respray. Because I'm pretty useless compared to most people on this forum, most of the work has been entrusted to someone who actually knows what they're doing - and his workmanship I would recommend highly. It took him a long time but it's been worth the wait.

I'll start with some pics of the work in progress which I didn't share before. 

DSC01497.JPG

DSC01498.JPG

DSC01540.JPG

DSC01496.JPG

DSC01500.JPG

DSC01538.JPG

DSC01539.JPG

DSC01825.JPG

And now for some pictures taken today.

I haven't yet found anywhere to get the vinyl roof re-done - and the clear advice on here was to not attempt it myself. For the time being, I've put the trim back on the painted roof.

photo+4+%25282%2529.JPG

I think it looks alright - the chap who did the respray has encouraged me to keep it like this, in fact. But I'm pretty sure I would like to get it re-vinyled eventually.

I've also stuck with the Ford Ro-Styles for now, not least because I haven't really got the readies for four new tyres to fit the steel wheels sitting in the garage. There's also the small matter of a flange problem with the hub caps I was donated - LOL etc. Again though, in the longer term I think I will switch over to original wheels - or at least try to source some Rootes Ro-Styles.

photo+1+%25282%2529.JPG

As I mentioned a while ago, the original Rootes / Chrysler colour (sunset bronze) is not available any more, so what you see here is a Fiat colour called "Rosso Ponente". Although I would certainly have stuck with the original if I could have laid my hands on it, I think I actually prefer this new, slightly brighter shade.

photo+3.JPG

The previous owner of this car had gone and bought some horrible new plates to fit - a strange priority I thought, given that he was allegedly going to break the car. Fortunately though, I was able to save the SERCKs before they got skipped. Needless to say, they are now back where they rightly belong.

photo+2+%25282%2529.JPG

photo+3+%25282%2529.JPG

I can't put in to words how much fun I had driving it around earlier. Had five different people approach me in different places to offer admiring comments or their own memories of either owning one or having a relative who did.

Slight OMG moment when one of the rear brakes stuck on causing an overheating incident and a plume of smoke. Managed to sort it reasonably easily though.

I was on my own so I couldn't get a "Woollard" but here's a couple of bonnet up shots.

photo+5.JPG

It's hard to photograph anything with that much chrome on it!

photo+4.JPG

So, there you have it. Bodywork done and MOT passed (with no advisories!). I now have the interior to see to and I'm looking forward to continuing the project.

Thanks again to those AS members who have helped me with sourcing parts. And another shaart-aaart to SWB Car and Commercial in Bovingdon where I got the work done.