Brown Arrow shite...

Wilko220

I find myself the owner of a late series 3 Humber Sceptre…

I wasn't particularly looking to get one, but it was a good price, had had a lot done to it, the previous owner needed rid and was threatening to break it for the engine, and I had the garage space - so I acted on impulse and bought. It's even got Rostyles and SERCKs, so I really couldn't resist...

The car needs a respray so all the chrome is removed ready for that to (eventually) happen, the interior needs a bit of attention with some of the wood trim peeling, and there are one or two electrical "issues", but otherwise it's in good order and drives nicely.

I was wondering if, by any small chance, anyone on here could point me in the right direction for sourcing some parts I need. Done a few internet searches but not had much luck so far. What I'm looking for initially are

* A dashboard headlamp switch (the existing one disintegrated the first time I tried to use it, leaving me with an "interesting" 30 mile drive home in the dark;

* A choke control knob (it doesn't lock out and I assume it should)

* An original steering wheel (it's currently fitted with a rather naff after-market one).

And if anyone with experience of these has any general ownership tips or warning that would also be much appreciated!

Anyway, here are some pics...

DSCF0389%252520copy.jpg

DSCF0391%252520copy.jpg

DSCF0390%252520copy.jpg

DSCF0392.JPG

Nice. Those Rostyles look like Ford (1600E and others), from memory even those fitted to the Hunter GLS weren’t very wide.

Regarding the choke control, some of the Datsuns I’ve had previously did that – a clothes peg was the answer.

Thanks all for the comments and help. I'll check out the Flickr link later as it's banned on my work computer! But cheers for that.

Vin - sadly no history came with the car so I've no idea whether its a "Topaz" edition. If there's a way of finding out (through number plate or chassis number for example), I'd be very interested to do so...

Vin - sadly no history came with the car so I've no idea whether its a "Topaz" edition. If there's a way of finding out (through number plate or chassis number for example), I'd be very interested to do so...

It looks a bit like a Topaz, but I've since found out that edition was a Hillman Hunter :oops: And had nothing to do with being 'last of the line' either :oops::oops:

It looks a bit like a Topaz, but I've since found out that edition was a Hillman Hunter :oops: And had nothing to do with being 'last of the line' either :oops::oops:

From the oracle that is Wikipedia...

For the 1975 Motor Show, a limited edition Hillman Hunter Topaz was produced. This was largely based on the Hunter Super and equipped with overdrive, radio, vinyl roof, Ro-Style wheels and a special half cloth upholstery as standard. This car was only available in a unique metallic bronze paint finish. The price was less than that of the standard Hunter Super when fitted with the optional overdrive. A Hillman Break de Chasse was sold in French-speaking markets, based on the Minx specification. (Also offered was a similar Sunbeam Break de Chasse; "break" being a French term for an estate,[citation needed] and the phrase break de chasse translating roughly as shooting-brake.)

Great save, well done!

I was going to suggest you gave Rootes Arrow a shout about the one his mate had got, wasn't sure if it was still there tho'. Come to think of it there are a couple of bits I could do with. One thing to watch with trim ect for these is getting the right bits as Rootes/Chrysler did seem to love swapping and changing bits and pieces about, seemingly at radom. For example, I've just swapped the wooden inserts in my centre consol for the ones I got from a scrapper on ebay, went to fit the clock back in it's 'ole and it's too big, despite the 'new' wood comming from a car the same year as mine. I had to fit the clock that came with wood, which doesn't work. (Not too bothered as I disconect the battery when it's in the garage anyway)

Does your tacho work properly? Or does it work when it feels like it and then read twice the true revs, like mine...?

Closer to you and slightly more eccentric...

Collector's Car Parts (or is it Spares) 43/45 Sipson Way, West Drayton, Midd'x. Just off the A4 at Heathrow. He helped me with a Super Minx, Austin 3 litre, and a 67 Imperial... mind, this was 25 years ago. Don't touch the magneto on his counter... it works.

Great save, well done!

I was going to suggest you gave Rootes Arrow a shout about the one his mate had got, wasn't sure if it was still there tho'. Come to think of it there are a couple of bits I could do with. One thing to watch with trim ect for these is getting the right bits as Rootes/Chrysler did seem to love swapping and changing bits and pieces about, seemingly at radom. For example, I've just swapped the wooden inserts in my centre consol for the ones I got from a scrapper on ebay, went to fit the clock back in it's 'ole and it's too big, despite the 'new' wood comming from a car the same year as mine. I had to fit the clock that came with wood, which doesn't work. (Not too bothered as I disconect the battery when it's in the garage anyway)

Does your tacho work properly? Or does it work when it feels like it and then read twice the true revs, like mine...?

Thanks very much for the advice. Tacho seems to work fine (at the moment!)

Heres some pics Wilko - - - - -

IMG_0018-2.jpg

Thanks mate - seems a shame it's being broken, although I guess that's easy to say when you can't see the perils underneath!

Definitely interested in some bits off that - particularly the steering wheel and the headlamp switch (if it's still there), and poss some other stuff as well. Do you have any contact details for the chap (or am I better to enquire through you)? Many thanks.

Do you have any contact details for the chap (or am I better to enquire through you)? Many thanks.

Private message sent

Glad to see it's finally in good hands. 8) I remember this being for sale in Luton on ebay a couple of years ago, after that it ended up in Harrow where it gained the Rostyles and new steering wheel and was punted around various classic sites for around the £2500 mark before it was acquired by the "pri191" fella who seems to have an obsession with buying these then ends up breaking them, as seen here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9937&hilit=sceptre+brighton

He still had the "NEB" number plate hanging up in his garage. He said that the shell eventually went for banger racing, which put him right down in my estimation, but he insisted the car was "rotten as a pear" and he had been shocked by how bad it was after he had bought it and had a proper look.

He seemed a genuine and pleasant enough bloke in person, but I don't know him from Adam so you just don't know. Certainly he had the engine from this listed separately on eBay and was prepared to rip it out if he got a bid of more than £300 for it - not really an endearing trait in my view...