Help for Audi 100 Auto

ayd

Posted Image

the old girl has a problem, the gearbox is telling her not to start, this is apparently a switch or a cable? and to get it to run I have to wiggle the stick to trick it in to starting

What I'm asking is does anyone know if it's a switch or cable, what the part is called and if it's reletively easy for a numpty like myself to change?

Otherwise it's time to start scouring the free ads for another £200 bargain :(

There will be a 2 wire "inhibitor switch" on the gear selector which only allows the car to start in Park.I guess it is either faulty or dirty if wiggling the stick makes enough contact to start the car. Maybe a dousing in contact cleaner would cure it.You could bypass it - but this is potentially bloody dangerous as the car could be started in gear.Should be pretty simple really.Ah, Wuv beat me to it cos the phone rang while i was typing!

after 20 mins of wiggling it still wouldn't start so it's dumped at work at the momentI whipped the cover off the central console and it looks like the inhibitor switch is on the right. Now while I find someone that actually sells this part is bypassing it as simple as I think? i.e - bridge the plug across the 2 terminals just so I can get it home?

also needs a starter motor :(managed to get one off fleabay last night (pretty sure I was shilled as I got a very quick 2nd chance offer) but it was still cheaper than GSF etc...so hopefully the coffin carrier will be back this weekend :D