Rover 75

scooters

I had one of these (oil burner) as a company car in the early naughties and quite liked it....now I am over 40 and getting increasingly ill natured and pompous I am being attracted to them again especially as you can get a V6 Exclusive for well under a grand these days - could be a very tidy daily for work...have to be a pre facelift one though

any other shitters share this perversion and want to don the tweed homburg and string backed gloves for a dawdle round to the bowling club?

my mate has a low mileage V6 Auto in blue - exclusve ..

I used it for a couple of weeks last year and told him if he ever wants to sell it to give me a bell.

I was reading in the current issue of Practical Classics that parts avaliability for Rovers is getting a lot better thanks to some former longbridge employees securing many parts due for scrapping and also patters and macines and they can now produce most parts and pretty much all for 75's etc.

PC was saying that 1995-2005 Rovers are showing less atrition in numbers than most and as there are no main dealer services out there they are being kept on the road by independents and punters

I think that big rovers have always attracted the pedantic owner but with that (and the general grumpieness and sanctimony that can go with it) comes a dollop of British common sense and attention to detail and a pride in careing for ones posessions which is why I reckon why there are so many boig rover survivors around.

Much chat on the web about 75's becoming future classics..I have a mind to talkSteve into selling me his and then using it occassionally, polishing it and holding onto it for 20 years.

I really want to like these but my professional experience says that when they go wrong you'll be crying into your wallet as you feel your trousers around your ankles and your bare buttocks part company.

I would have one but I just know that there would be a little voice at the back of my head saying WHEN will it play up?

Drove a 1.8 version once and didn't like it much, largely due to the engine feeling a bit feeble in a car that size.

Travelled in a diesel taxi version a while later and thought it was ace. My choice would be a diesel tourer with a nice sober interior e.g. black leather with white piping

My Uncle has a pre-facelift, pre-Project Drive Connoiseur SE diseasel auto, and it's been GR32. He's driven it from Leeds to Barcelona on a number of occasions, and no issues. Pale gold with full leather, quite a few people have mistaken it for a Jaguar!

I had a diesel for the work car - might be a better choice than the V6 - they do say that the 1.8 is the most prone to the notorious K issues but V6's are better and more reliable - Steve has fitted a Kenlowe to his and keeps a dose of K seal in the coolant system 'just in case'.

There is somthing nice about having a V6 though - I suspect that incre4asingly as cars become more efficiant 6+ cylinder engines will only be seen in the very top end cars and will become rarer in the 75 sort of level - the cripling fuel costs we have these days don't help....

I mean, last year I rented a V50 with an eco 1.5 diesel engine in it - superb car, once you had worked out the gear ratios it bombed along no problem and sipped oil so that you gor a whopping range per tank...if I were to buy a new car now then fuel consumption would be a big buying factor.

I suppose it is what I want to use it for - if I want a nice car to use 2/3 times a week then a V6 would be great and just use a rollerskate like the Yugo for daily...but then I might as well get a nice XJ40 or even an S Type instead....

well, we'll see but interesting to hear opinions on this car - there is somthing to be said for what might have been the last great rover

I was in the petrol station last week and there was a W plate and a 53 plate 75 parked next to each other at the pumps, The old boy in the 53 plater started commenting to the chap in the W plate about how clean it was (it was mint) and what he thought of it, by the time i had filled the car up and gone in and paid this old boy and his wife were still talking to the other chap about his.

The 2.0 is meant to be more prone to HGF, but I've no idea whether that's actually true. Some parts are meant to be harder to find. Don't forget the timing belts. BIG job when all three need doing.

Thankfully, you're quite right. They already have a hugely enthusiastic classic following, so more and more are enthusiast owned. Still too many about for prices to rise much, but that can't be too far away now. Even diesels can be had sub-£1500, so that'd be the way I'd go. Earlier the better. Build quality and toy count both suffered once the Phoenix lot got in charge. Also consider the MG ZT, which I think looks better (Rover V8 aside) though you don't get the cool, beige dials.

I think I'd like a diesel auto, though a week of ownership would probably change my mind (not sure an auto would really work on the roads around here.) Agree that there's nowt like a V6 though. Suits the car very well.

I had a diesel for the work car - might be a better choice than the V6 - they do say that the 1.8 is the most prone to the notorious K issues but V6's are better and more reliable - Steve has fitted a Kenlowe to his and keeps a dose of K seal in the coolant system 'just in case'.

There is somthing nice about having a V6 though - I suspect that incre4asingly as cars become more efficiant 6+ cylinder engines will only be seen in the very top end cars and will become rarer in the 75 sort of level - the cripling fuel costs we have these days don't help....

I mean, last year I rented a V50 with an eco 1.5 diesel engine in it - superb car, once you had worked out the gear ratios it bombed along no problem and sipped oil so that you gor a whopping range per tank...if I were to buy a new car now then fuel consumption would be a big buying factor.

I suppose it is what I want to use it for - if I want a nice car to use 2/3 times a week then a V6 would be great and just use a rollerskate like the Yugo for daily...but then I might as well get a nice XJ40 or even an S Type instead....

well, we'll see but interesting to hear opinions on this car - there is somthing to be said for what might have been the last great rover

I like the 75, I like the shape of them and they are very nice inside. In many ways, I prefer them to the jaguar S-Type which has never quite done it for me for some reason. I reckon a 75 would make a lovely daily driver and would be so easy to drive long distances on the motorway. The S-Type would also do this well.

As anything other than an everyday car I would far rather have an XJ40 - but I would say that!

I have had Laura's Rover 75 since Friday and just relinquished it.

Getting back into the C5 I was surprised at it's comparative lack of refinement.

Better acceleration and faster but the 75 is much smoother and the controls slicker.

Nice instrument panel in the Rover too.

All in all I like it and could be quite happy with one - especially if it had hydropneumatic suspension.

I was chatting to my wife uncle tonight, He has a 55 plate 75 2.0 CDTi Connoisseur, He bought it 2 years ago with 40000 miles from his neighbour for £2700!, That was what a Lexus stealer was offering him as a part x on it, He's never had a problem with it since he bought it and really raves about it.

The V6 models drink fuel like there is no tomorrow,and a lot of people run a mile at cambelt change time,but they do sound wonderfull,even though I did drive a 2.5 auto recently,and honestly thought it was a 2.0 ! Maybe sport mode might have transformed it,but it was more civilised than sporting. The diesel is no tyre shredder either,but that BMW lump is a very sound unit,and with great economy makes it a very sensible car to own and enjoy. They were a very underated car,and much more elegant than the S Type Jaguar,at half the price !!

Funnily enough I have a beady eye out for one of these at the moment as well, although its a ZT i fancy as opposed to the 75... Prices seem to vary wildly - a very clean 51 - 03 reg V6 ZT can be had under a grand but the CDTi seems to still hold £2k plus in most ebay sales.

I'm avoiding the V6 thanks to a twice weekly 330 mile commute, and the Exxon valdez style fuel consumption, but I'm open to all the other lumps.

What are the cambelt change intervals on these then? anything else I need to look out for?

Co part have a tidy looking CDTi auto on an 03 reg just now with very minor side damage with a current bid of 300 quid. Looks a steal.

Timing chain on a diseasel. CDT is 115 BHP, intercooled circa 130. Duff wheel bearings can make the ABS lamp come on, and ISTR something about blocked body drainage points causing ECUs to get wet in the engine bay.

Apparently the clutch slave on the manuals is an expensive PITA if it goes wrong, but I don't know if that's all manuals or just the petrol ones. Kickdown control on autos can go squiffy, a £100 dealer fix.

The clutch slave cylinder which is inside the transmission 'can' give problems on both petrol and Diesel versions. The MG badged ones seem to be a tad higher price wise,but the Rover ones are more plush inside,and if you get a Connoiseur model,you get the full leather trimmings treatment.You will find a Diesel is more than double the value of a petrol,but depending on what age car you want, £2-4000 will get a nice car.You can get them under £1500,but beware of intergallactic milage,and neglected ' rolling restorations'

I still fancy one of these in that nice dark blue.

But as said elsewhere it would have to be a diesel automatic & I will have to be a little older.

I always wanted to retire with a Bristol but I've heard that even Bono has had to sell his because of horrific fuel costs.