Faecebook? (sic)

mk2_craig

At the risk of starting a "I'm not interested in any of that bollocks" thread, and while not wanting to tread on the toes of the Autoshite.com founders/moderators, I've set up an "Autoshite!" group on Facebook so should anybody else have absolutely nothing better to do you can go on there and say hello or, er, discuss this discussion board. Which sounds totally pointless but might be quite fun. First thing to do might be to select a more appropriate photograph than the one I've hastily used...

The main reason I signed up recently was so I could spy on people who were at my old school, but it turned out there wasn't many in the end. Found some bikini shots of one girl though. Wasn't quite worth it, but satisfied my curiousity.My photos are a cropped selection of tat from Old Japanese Car, successfully frightening off anyone who knew me from the old days!

I'll willingly join FaceSpace or MyBook when someone adequately explains what they are actually FOR.

My sentiments exactly Pog, until about 2 months ago when I got fed up of repeatedly enduring the following conversation:

Acquaintance: So are you coming to my BBQ on Friday?

Me: What BBQ, first I've heard of it.

A: What do you mean, after all it's been on Facebook for the last fortnight.

Me: $@*?!#

Seems that social networking sites have replaced the e-mail, which replaced the text message, which replaced the telephone call, which replaced good old fashioned word of mouth.

Posted Image

Incidentally, Facebook seems to be quite good for unwitting tat-spotting when petrolhead friends post photos from events they've been to... 'the f*ck is this thing...??

I'll willingly join FaceSpace or MyBook when someone adequately explains what they are actually FOR.

I'll agree with that. Facebook et al seem to have replaced having actual conversations and doing stuff like going to the pub...Maybe now I'm getting old I'm just not into this yoof stuff anymore

I joined facebook a couple of months back, I find it a usefull site, as long as you ignore all the shite that gets thrown at you. I have lived all over the world, and most of my freinds are dotted around the planet, so is really easy to keep intouch with it. :D

Joined it a bit ago to see if I could look up a woman I trained & lived with for a while whern i was a student nurse (who seems to have changed from a man eater into a minge eater, not that thats any indication of what living in the same flat as me can do to you, you understand?) And I havent a bloody clue how to work it or what to do with it - so sacked it off.If somone wants to explain it to me feel free, but I make no apologies now if my eyes start to glaze over....

sorry to correct you Reg, its not a kubelwagen, but a development of, It is a VW type 181, but known as the 'Trekker', Same floorpans as a Karmann Ghia/VW 1500 too.The 'Thing' as a American Nic'Name that stuck, just like the name Beetle.

Posted Image

Kubelwagen

Posted Image

Trekker

from Wikipedia:

The Volkswagen Type 181 "Kurierwagen", popularly known in the United States as the Thing, in Mexico as the Safari and in the United Kingdom as the Trekker, was a small military vehicle produced by Volkswagen from 1969 to 1983, although civilian sales stopped in 1980. It was based in part on Volkswagen's Beetle Type I and was an evolution of the Kübelwagen, which had been used by the German military during World War II. The models sold new in America from 1972-1974.

I'll agree with that. Facebook et al seem to have replaced having actual conversations and doing stuff like going to the pub...Maybe now I'm getting old I'm just not into this yoof stuff anymore
facebook is for organising trips down the pub :lol:

Posted Image

Kubelwagen

Posted Image

Trekker

from Wikipedia:

The Volkswagen Type 181 "Kurierwagen", popularly known in the United States as the Thing, in Mexico as the Safari and in the United Kingdom as the Trekker, was a small military vehicle produced by Volkswagen from 1969 to 1983, although civilian sales stopped in 1980. It was based in part on Volkswagen's Beetle Type I and was an evolution of the Kübelwagen, which had been used by the German military during World War II. The models sold new in America from 1972-1974.

Oh I see.....ta. So my mistake was calling it Kubelwagen! I did waver on whether it was called that or not, but I was 100% on the VW 181 side of it.

I agree with you there, Bert O11ox. Any electronic medium that allows you to 'poke' untold young girls must be a good thing. I reckon it would just get annoying though, like that messenger thingy. That boiled my nads so hard I stopped using it altogether.

Anal-retentive corner: 'Kurierwagen' on its own is almost digestible. As I understand it the real reason the Americans shortened it to 'The Thing' is because the full name is far more challenging: "Mehrzweck-Fahrzeug/Kurierwagen" (multi-purpose/delivery vehicle)Oh, yeah, and Facebook. I'm the target age range apparently but it does nothing for me. I decided it wasn't worth the effort when I kept having friends say, "Someone looked me up that I knew for a day at year 5 camp!" Yeah, I know. How can you resist an offer like that?

I'm feeling a bit crap 'cos I keep cutting rusty bits of metal out of my car :cry: I come in here to find a random thread about modern interweb stuff about which I know (and care for) nothing yet it is seriously intertwined with the specifics of an ex-military type air-cooled car and a small amount of silly name calling. Now I'm happy again :D

a woman I trained & lived with for a while

I wish I'd thought of that before saying "I do"! :wink:
Ooooooh, not like THAT! There were a few of us who shared the same flat who were allon the same nurse training course. Mind you being one of only 3 blokes in a building full of nurses had its moments :wink: