Jalopy mag, vol.1 #1

chaseracer

Joy pal has its own little cult following, I got the set then decided to have a clear out and punted them on ebay - got over a ton for the set, but some seem scarcer than others.The later A4 ones are harder to come by and the last published one (ish 34 IIRC) with the Cortina in a scrappers seems particularly rare.I still have issue 2 with the sticker - I just cant bring myself to stick it onto anything :roll:

A great magazine, sadly died too young. I have what I believe to be the full set, Issues 1-31 (issue 34 - are you sure, Marty?). My retirement fund!Peter of this parish tried to bring out a Jalopy for the new millenium called Original Tin...we're still waiting for issue 3...where is he these days?

A great magazine, sadly died too young. I have what I believe to be the full set, Issues 1-31 (issue 34 - are you sure, Marty?). My retirement fund!

Mine too! my full set is much treasured, though I rather foolishly stuck the 'I love my jalopy' car sticker that came with one of the early issues to the Renner 4 I owned at the time, a great mag indeed....

Posted Image

(issue 34 - are you sure, Marty?)

Nope!The last one was the one with the photo of the black cortina in a scrappers - 31? 33? 34? buggered if I can remember now. Mate of mine wrote the Saab article in issue 6.I'm still waiting on issue three of OT! :lol::lol::lol::lol:(its only been 2 years since the last issue)

Wow. I've never seen any of the A4 issues before - I'd heard rumours they existed, but never had any proof! The original logo was better, though.I think I still have two issues - wish I could've bought more, but finances didn't permit back in 1993. I'd love to read the article about Moskviches if anyone has it, as I only got to flick through that one in the newsagents!

I got a Jalopy T-shirt and in true jalopy fashion was made of very cheap cotton and fell apart quite quickly. I don't have anywhere near the full collection, and curiously the only place I recall that sold copies in my area was WH Smiths in Reading - and then they decided not to stock the later A4 editions. It was around this sort of time I bought a copy of a book called Bangernomics - like jalopy quintessential toilet reading matter.

I've got Bangernomics too, but only bought it when it was in a cheapo store obviously. That's probably the problem with anything in that vein - the target audience are a bunch of cheapskates (whether by choice or circumstance).I had to trail round various small independent newsagents to get my copies of Jalopy, but #31 evaded me so I still only have 1-30 :evil: We have to remember Nigel Bickle had something published in there!BTW, thinking about Bangernomics, wasn't that James Ruppert? Does he still write in Car? His Kerbcrawler articles were excellent and he really seemed to know about old rubbish, same as Bremner but very few other writers.

Ruppert writes in Autocar now. It's OK but not as good as his Car columns. His Crap Car Challenge in Car in the early 90s was particularly good, as was the "Edinburgh For a Monkey" piece in the late 80s, featuring Renners 14 and 18!I have the Bangernomics book, has stood me in good stead with shonky purchases.I believe Mr Bickle wrote a total of 3 articles for Jalopy (on Spitfire, Trabant, and Scootacar) - unless he can tell us otherwise! I believe Mash was also responsible for a piece on the Marina.#31 has a picture of a red Mk3 Tina engine bay on the front, with a black Mk3 in a scrapyard inside. I'm pretty certain that's the last one. I bought #'s 17-21 when it was current from my local Circle K (remember them?), ordered a few back issues direct then obtained the remainder about 5 years back on the Bay, before the prices/interest went mental.

#31 has a picture of a red Mk3 Tina engine bay on the front, with a black Mk3 in a scrapyard inside.

Must be another then, as the last one I had had the same photo, but in glorious technicolour on the cover - black 'tina ina scrappers with bits of side trim missing. I remember it was quite thin on the ground page wise too and the editorial was banging on about possibly it being the last issue ever. Should have kept them really, but was going through this "purge" state in my life where everything that was superfluous was being bayed off - I think I had a hooooooooege credit card bill at the time too :( Take a photo of the A4 covers & post up & I will be able to tell you if its there of not.

Now that's interesting. I remember they used the colour pic of that 'Tina on the inside back cover of an early issue to advertise a spinoff mag "Bad Cars", but it never materialised. Definitely the editorial of no. 31 seems to suggest the rot was terminal, as the issue was 4 months late. There was a lot of repetition of earlier features in the A4 mags such as the buyer's guides for the Capri, Cortina, Morris Minor etc making a re-appearance. I think the publisher who took over halfway through the run had also made an exit by the time the A4 format appeared, which may be why the mag eventually folded.I'll post up a pic of the A4 covers over the weekend.

I recall in one of the issues there was an ad for a (spoof?) magazine called Bad Car, that had a tatty black Cortina pictured IIRC. I shall have to dig them out of the workshop tonight when I’m pootling around in there.I was so chuffed when I accidentally found the first issue, I well remember the little town centre shop in Ipswich where I got it. It seemed like the perfect magazine for my tastes.Surely it wouldn’t be that difficult to get hold of Rod Ker and get definitive story?Edit: RW beat me to the Bad Car thing.

Tried emailing Rod via the telgraph ages ago, but never got a reply - I remember finding my first issue (number 2) in John Menzies - never looked back! (except for when the first lot got "washed" by my son in the washing machine - looooooong story).

Peter of this parish tried to bring out a Jalopy for the new millenium called Original Tin...we're still waiting for issue 3...where is he these days?

Dunno - but the OT website is down too :(

EDIT: Found another email address for Rod Ker - so dropped him another email. Time will tell.....

Further Edit:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed. rod@classicbikes.co.uk

Cock :evil:

OK, this is the cover of issue 31...which I believe to be the last one...any advance?

Posted Image

Funnily enough someone purporting to be Rod Ker's neice appeared on the Honest John forum a couple of years back asking people for any questions about Jalopy, but the thread was pulled before the great man could confirm the final tally :roll: