My 1978 Fiat 900T van. And the rest of my fleet...(3 years later!!! ...Updated 11/12/23)

Vin

Yes, apparently so, the owner took it to the 'Classic van & pick-up' show at Gaydon last year. As a result it got a bit of attention and they did an article about it.

I haven't yet seen the article myself...

Love it @vin, as well as the citivan.

My formative years were in 127s. I had an absolute heap of them.

My favourite one was shite brown. It went great but absolutely nothing worked on it.

Instead of spending money on important things that would make it actually function better, I got a set of speakers and a new stereo.

I remember fitting the door speakers and standing back to admire my work, only to realise that I could no longer wind down the windows as the speaker covers obstructed the winders... So, they were just another thing to add to the bits that didn't work on the car. Still, the Blue Nile sounded awesome basting out on the tape deck :-)

It started my lifelong love of Fiats & I still have one to this day (I bought a 124 spider in '89 when I could afford it) and your citivan project and now this new 127 van has made me smile with fond memories.

Looking forward to progress on both. Love your fleet!

CFD

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got back this afternoon from a successful collection mission. It was to Burntwood in Staffordshire...

Some of you may have guessed what it is that I have acquired. To be honest it is something I have wanted for years. Ever since I started driving in fact, but there were never any really decent ones around in the early nineties...

A 1981 Fiat 127 Fiorino...

It was the one that 'Benno' first posted pictures of on his thread. The chap I bought it off has spent loads on the bodywork and running gear. It has a replacement engine in (I've got the original) but isn't running yet. It needs properly prepping for a full respray too...

Now safely tucked away in my lock-up...

attachicon.gifIMG_1108.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1111.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1113.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1114.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1115.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1112.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1110.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1117.JPG

Anyone else spot the "Shiter In Waiting" who lives across the road from the First photo?

• 2 months later...

Two weeks ago I put the 900T in for an MOT. It Passed :-D :-D

So I got it insured on the chassis number and last monday I sent all the forms, paperwork and payment to the DVLA in order to get it registered.

post-47-0-80993200-1461865344_thumb.jpg

Today in the post I got a mutherfunkin V5!!!

NMA 370T IS HITTIN THE ROAD!!!!

No pics yet I'm afraid (no proper plates yet). I did get some cheapo plates made up when I got the V5 though, and I have done nearly 200 miles over the bank holiday and this week, getting the engine run in. It is an absolute hoot to drive. It has the driving position of an office chair and initially you have to think about when to turn, what with you being sat on top of the front wheels, but once that is out of the way it is ACE... 8) 8)

Vin - it looks magnificent. 

There is so much to enjoy about driving a 900:

Watching in the door mirrors those little B pillar repeater indicators flashing away

The feeling you are as big as a bus/lorry

Winding up the revs as you thrash along 

Everyone smiles at a 900

Absolutely brilliant restoration.

These arrived today. Honestly, they are things of beauty. Everybody was right...

post-47-0-43602700-1462644232_thumb.jpg

We've also had a family gathering/barbecue which involved giving rides to sister, BIL, step brother and step BIL. They all absolutely loved it :-D :-D

Wow. Especially neat that the three letters are an anagram of the original!

I would have loved to have gone to the DVLA office in Beverley or Lincoln and got a Hull/East Yorkshire or Lincolnshire number, but I couldn't :-( :-(

I do like to think that Gemma (who signed it off in Swansea) maybe 'anagrammed' it on purpose...

MA is a Chester identifier, so Billy will be lovin it... :-D

Cheers Andy

Beverley & Lincoln went when they all went...

If only I'd welded faster... :?:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I fitted the new plates during the week and I stopped and took some pictures while I was out in it this afternoon. I've done about 400 miles in it now, getting it run in. It has a top speed of about 56 mph at the moment. I reckon with a few hundred more miles under it's belt it will probably hit the heady heights of 60 mph :-D :-D I certainly wouldn't want to go any faster than that in it...

post-47-0-80932400-1463251065_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-82151500-1463251086_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-07751500-1463251108_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-91547800-1463251128_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-21055500-1463251152_thumb.jpg

Some of the stickers that are in the windows...

post-47-0-87558900-1463251167_thumb.jpg

National petrol 'Service with a Smurf' - promotional campaign that started in 1978, same year as the van...

post-47-0-57438900-1463251182_thumb.jpg

TV advert from the time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqZvZVwYIuI

I have a bit of a 'Motorail' fetish and I have had this sticker for years, waiting for something to stick it on!!

This is a bit of a crap picture, what with the sun and the like...so I've included one before I put it in the van

post-47-0-97252600-1463251208_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-60956500-1463251253_thumb.jpg

There is a link here to a picture on Flickr of a class 47 hauled 'Motorail' train from 1984...first vehicle on the carflats is a 900 camper...

https://flic.kr/p/f1Y1Mv

• 3 weeks later...