My 1978 Fiat 900T van. And the rest of my fleet...(3 years later!!! ...Updated 11/12/23)

Vin

You are correct Barrett, it is a 903cc in this van, but it's from the 850, same engine as the 127/128/Panda MK1, but running the other way. You could put the engine out of 127 or 128 in the van but you'd have 1 forward gear and 4 reverse gears.

Hmm, yep I could've thought that through a little better. I was struggling to think what else had the 903 when this was built and could only come up with the 127.

Also, check out an original Multipla and you will see that the back half is a 600...

Yeah, I meant mechanically it started as a van version of the Multipla. The blueprints for this type of van were the Multipla-based small commercials built by outside coachbuilders like (for eg.) Coriasco. Fiat saw there was a market for a 600 engined light van and built thier own. It's shocking how similar some of these are to the final Fiat version, though trying to find images of them on google is not great fun....

20091111181949_fiat%20600m%20servizio%20abarth%2002.jpg

Yeah, I meant mechanically it started as a van version of the Multipla. The blueprints for this type of van were the Multipla-based small commercials built by outside coachbuilders like (for eg.) Coriasco. Fiat saw there was a market for a 600 engined light van and built thier own. It's shocking how similar some of these are to the final Fiat version, though trying to find images of them on google is not great fun....

Ah. I realised what you meant with that piccie. Fiat introducing the 600T as a reaction to all the coachbuilt Multipla commercials.

You are right about the lack of web images although there are a lot of pictures of Multipla based commercials in a book by Alessandro Sannia. From what I recall, I think you are familiar with his work.

Right. Quick update. Had a couple of hours this afternoon, so cleaned up a rotten area behind the grill. I cut the area out and then cleaned and patched it on the bench, then welded it back in.

HPIM03102-1.jpg

I ground the welds down

HPIM03112-1.jpg

Coat of primer. I've yet to give it a thin skim of filler.

HPIM03132-1.jpg

UPDATE

I made up a passenger door. The original is pretty rotten, so intention was to make a good one from the four I have.

HPIM03133.jpg

The white one seemed to have the most solid frame. It appears to have been waxed/treated at some point. It still needed a few patches though. The yellow door provided the repairs.

HPIM03093.jpg

HPIM03142-1.jpg

HPIM03124.jpg

Welded, ground down and filled.

HPIM03134.jpg

HPIM03143.jpg

The side door was next on the agenda. The frame and panel are in good condition, but there is some rot in the skin near the bottom hinge. As the hinges are the same as the front doors I cut a piece of doorskin from the hinge on the yellow passenger door. I cut the rot out, welded in new, ground the welds down and skimmed it with filler.

HPIM0321.jpg

HPIM03192.jpg

HPIM0322.jpg

HPIM0323.jpg

HPIM0324.jpg

HPIM0325.jpg

Next job was to tackle the crumbly front offside jacking point. The end of the outrigger had corroded to the point that a jack would just lift up into the box section. I had already replaced and rebuilt the nearside a number of years ago. It took a while to do it as well as access was a bit cumbersome.

This time though I accepted my mate's offer of the use of his four post lift :D

So he came round and collected the van and we took it to his workshop.

HPIM0330.jpg

Up she goes

HPIM0336.jpg

As you can maybe see, the end of the outrigger has crumbled away. The inner sill is very good though, probably because it's been protected by the petrol tank.

HPIM0337.jpg

I cut part of the outer sill away and also cut part of the inner sill. This was so I could get decent access to the outrigger.

HPIM0339.jpg

HPIM0338.jpg

HPIM0342.jpg

HPIM0341.jpg

HPIM0344.jpg

I cut the crap out of the outrigger and made up a new section to weld in. I used part of the the side panel I replaced and to match the original jacking point I double skinned it were it was required. This was then spot welded together.

HPIM0345.jpg

HPIM0347.jpg

It was then tacked in position and then welded in place. I then ground the welds down and sprayed the inside of the box section with zinc primer.

HPIM0349.jpg

HPIM0351.jpg

HPIM0352.jpg

HPIM0353.jpg

I loved using the lift, such a relief not to have to scrabble around on the floor for a change.

Thats all for now folks.

:lol::lol::lol: that pic was taken 6 years ago KJ. I don't know what happened to the carpet. I know it didn't end up in the lounge in front of the fire....would of been nice though...it more probably ended up on a fire.

A short update of the work done during the week. This was mainly cleaning up the jack bracket and welding it back on. Patching the few small holes on the inner sill and welding the section back. Panel beating some new pieces to replace the sections I chopped out of the inner wheel arch. Then putting the outer sill back on. This was an unused panel I had that had hacked in two at some time.

HPIM0356.jpg

HPIM0358.jpg

HPIM0360.jpg

HPIM0361.jpg

I also repaired a 10 pence size hole in the other end of the inner sill, and ground down some of the previous welds. At the moment I am in the process of re-welding in the seat supports to the wheelarches as they have snapped off in the past.

All the major welding is done now. I will still have some welding to do, but smallish jobs, like repairing some sections of the roof gutter.

Biggest job now is going to be the filling and prepping ready for the paint which hopefully will go on by the end of summer.

I will probably update nearer then, when it finally looks altogether more 'van-like' :)

Many thanks for all the comments, it's all much appreciated :D

• 4 months later...

I haven't updated this for a long time.

Well, I didn't get any paint on at the end of summer. That was probably a bit too optimistic :lol:

I did start doing some body preparation work, but I spent the end of the summer doing a bit of engine work on the Panda 4x4 -replacing the cracked manifold (I found that although slightly different, early Puntos fit and are ten a penny) and a carb rebuild. I also had a session renewing the underseal and general rustproofing underneath. I also found the inner and outer sill at the back end was starting to come apart. So I spent a few weekends on and off, cutting out and welding in fresh steel. It is now MOT'd ready for any snow.

Once the 4x4 was done I took a week off work and got the Van back into my mates workshop to finish off some of the odds and ends that didn't get done during the visit during the summer. These jobs included;

-Grinding down welding that I did 5 years ago (while lying on my side...) and welding up the resulting holes were the weld didn't penetrate

-Welding in the triangular fillets between the inner sills and the front cross member

-Bending and forming some steel and welding it in, to create the bottom edge of the inner sill. When I replaced the bottom section of the inner sill originally, I didn't include this forming.

I didn't get many pictures as my camera batteries packed up. Those I did manage were mainly of the underside and the running gear so I have some good references when I take it apart.

Taking the van to the workshop.

HPIM0042.jpg

Putting in one of the fillets. First pic shows were the fillet goes. Holes are where I drilled out the spotwelds. You can maybe just make out (poor picture really) in the second pic. Using the spot weld holes I welded it all in from both sides.

HPIM0043.jpg

HPIM0050.jpg

The next two picture show that for a nearly 30 year old Fiat commercial vehicle, it isn't in that bad nick underneath...

HPIM0046.jpg

HPIM0049.jpg

I'll post the other pictures I took. They don't really show you anything other than the running gear. I took them for my reference purposes.

HPIM0047.jpg

HPIM0048.jpg

HPIM0051.jpg

HPIM0052.jpg

HPIM0053.jpg

My intention was to get it painted before working on the underneath, but sense has won the day (I'd rather get it back from painting and then just put it all back together) and now the welding is done, I will strip out all the running gear and get it blasted/cleaned and repaint it all. I will also clean up the underside of any remaining dirt and while everything is off, I will repaint and then 'stone-chip' the whole underside.

I finish work for Christmas today, so I will no doubt make a start on the strip down at some point in the next three weeks.

BRAVO ( :wink: ) Vin Ordinaire. I too am N.Joying the updated needle & thread, Fred.

Have you noticed something VERY interesting on that French website yet ? ALL the German spec Fiat 900 variants have

(a) a protective cover fitted to all the exposed side door hinges: look like black plastic moulding of some sort, I guess for stringent

"pedestrianprotection", whatever that would be in german, and

(B) ALL the doorhandles are of different design, that is, they are not exposed-pointing-forward sharp-edged knife shaped as is on all

our 900's over here (or in Italy & elsewhere ), so WHAT ARE THEY FROM ?? which "other Fiat" handles will fit straight on ? :roll:

would be a nice improvement to fit them also, it looks like they have a push-button release instead of the whole handle pulling out

(and breaking off on close objects) ... what do you think. Maybe Monsieur Bikkle can provide us with ze answer there, :lol:

I had noticed that Lovejoy. I agree that it will be due to TUV testing. In the commentary for the 1962 'Look at Life' film about German motorways (in my screen grab thread) they mention how cars aren't allowed mascots (Jaguar leaping cat for instance) or 'knock on' wheel hubs.

As to what those handles are off. My guess is as good as yours. They look like those on the Reliant Robins my Grandad owned. They could be off anything though....

• 4 weeks later...

A little bit more progress to report.

The front suspension and steering gear is all now off the van. I have started taking it all apart to clean it, so it can be painted. Some bits will go to my mate as he is always getting parts shotblasted. Others will clean up fine with a cup brush in the angle grinder.

I stripped it all last week over two evenings after work. With plusgas and a breaker bar it all came apart quite easily. It all seems to be in very good condition. Looking at all the bits and pieces, I don't think it had been apart since it left the factory.

HPIM0042-1.jpg

HPIM0048-1.jpg

HPIM0046-1.jpg

HPIM0044.jpg

HPIM0052-1.jpg

HPIM0050-1.jpg

HPIM0051-1.jpg

Hey Vin, enjoying the " EXPLODED" photos as you dissemble the 900 T - cheers :D

why not upgrade to discs as per 900e, they are standard Fiat Panda 45 stuff, just beware the thread differences in the brake

flexi pipes, you can get new calipers quite easily too, for the disc setup, and it saves a lot of hassle setting up the 4 -drum system,

plus better stopping ability.

An upgrade to front discs is on the cards Lovejoy.

I've got a pair of front hub and disc and caliper assemblies chopped off a 900E. They need dismantling and de-rusting.

I haven't had a proper look but I am assuming, as you say, they are Panda calipers. Not surprisingly I have a decent pair in my spares collection.

Lovejoy, do you know if the master cylinder was the same on the 900T and 900E :?::?: The current master cylinder is knackered, but a new one came with the van. I also got what was labelled as a 900 van master cylinder on ebay a few years ago for the princely sum of £5. This is about 2/3rds the size of the one on the van and the other spare though...

The haynes only covers the drum braked versions.

It would appear that the 900e master cylinders are made of 24carat GOLD..... they are virtually unobtainable, and ARE different

to the 900T, I think, larger, and it's a split braking system, diagonally front/rear if I'm correct....

The likes of RichCambio were asking silly munny, around 400 notes for one, which is totally ludicrous, but they still sold em, due to

demand, he would source them on forays to Italy with a mate of mine who had a mint red Caravelle, and was an ace fiat engineer,

unfortunately I believe he's not in his camper right now, but in Huntington nick after fending off two malingerers in his 900e - very sad...

I do believe it IS possible to get them re-bored/ rebuilt, at around 100 notes, by a firm up your way, but no definite info on that.

Tinbo Cutler managed to fit a later Fiat Cityvan master cyl to his 900e GIANT, but I think a lot of surgery was invovled..... :shock:

Thanks Lovejoy.

The NOS spare that came with the van is the same as those that Ricambio sell for ££££££££££s.

I'll do a bit more digging. I have paper copies of the spares microfiche - see if that sheds any light.

I'll take some pics of the master cylinders when I take that off, and post them up...then you can cast your eye over them :)

• 3 weeks later...

Crikey!! You're not wrong about the reserve :shock:

Certainly not worth that, with the work that's required. Even if it does have some kind of 'provenance'...although that's clutching at straws, unless you're a die-hard Belgian Ferrari fan...

Splendid work. Is it still IOM registered, and if so are you expecting any grief when it comes to getting a UK mark for it?

In other news:

5235699410_81d6a22885_b.jpg

No idea where this is - found the picture while looking for something else, as usual

• 2 months later...

just thought id share some useless info with you regarding the brake master cylinder, if yours is the same as mine was a 4 port one , replacing the rubber seals is the cure to the woes , but also make surethe brass washer is able to slide in the bore 2, a good source for the seals is to buy the 16mm rear brake wheel cylinders and steal the seals from them, u should be able to get them for about £3, im stuck on my final problems with my wifes fiat 900t, which is the cruddy old petrol tank and dud fuel sender unit, is someone has one in good condition please contact me

cheers

tim