How many left?

Hertz

Interesting theory but I doubt it somehow.

The 110FC dates from 1966 so that's our earliest date for the the 5cyl to exist.

Any five cylinder engine around back then is likely to be diesel (petrol carb-fed 5cyls had issues), the Mercedes one springs to mind (and has been fitted to LRs) but it didn't exist until '74.

What was the next ID issued to Land Rover after the 5cyl?

Ooohh, that's an interesting one.

The DVLA model ID for the "109 - 5 cyl" is only the 9th model ID listed against Land Rover (just after "110 4 cyl FC"), so I'm guessing it pre-dates the DVLC computer. People have been transplanting engines in the old workhorses for donkeys years.. if somebody had managed to transplant a 5 cylinder engine into one before the computerisation happened, there's a chance it might have been recorded as an official model maybe?

Were there any 5 cylinder lumps around in the early 70s that would've been suitable for sticking in a Landy?

Perhaps if e.g. the aforementioned TD5 engine was fitted to a Series Landie, that might conceivably be entered by DVLA as the vehicle's type? It's not an uncommon mod, and DVLA appear to be a law unto themselves with regard to vehicle types!

John F - The ID "109 5cyl" was issued by the doovla after the issued the ID "110FC 4cyl" which would have been in 1966.

Now I don't know the order of the IDs they issued but I'd be willing to bet there were at least 14 before 1998 when the TD5 appeared.

What's your LR listed as on the V5?

John F - The ID "109 5cyl" was issued by the doovla after the issued the ID "110FC 4cyl" which would have been in 1966.

Now I don't know the order of the IDs they issued but I'd be willing to bet there were at least 14 before 1998 when the TD5 appeared.

What's your LR listed as on the V5?

Good point, well made :D

Mine's another one in the "missing" category - no model type listed on the V5. Maybe because it's ex-MoD?

None of these IDs existed before the early 70s when the DVLC started computerising all it's paper records (which, for older vehicles would have been collected from local authorities which were previously responsible for vehicle registration). I suspect it was a bit of an anything goes situation at the time with regards to model names. The 109 5 cyl could even be a typo...

More recently, the list of model IDs has been taken care of by the SMMT & DVLA, and requires a manufacturer to request a new model ID. (and some can't be arsed - see the large numbers of missing/unknown makes & models).

More recently, the list of model IDs has been taken care of by the SMMT & DVLA, and requires a manufacturer to request a new model ID. (and some can't be arsed - see the large numbers of missing/unknown makes & models).

Arse. So there's no chance of me getting my old tratter officially registered as a Tratter then? :(

Question: unofficial model names?

Down by my shed is my poor dead '86 capri injection special. The V5 for it says "capri injection" which always caused hours of entertainment with the insurance. Our computer says it's not a special sir... explain they stopped building the not special version years before mine etc.

But when I search on said how many site, there are 0 capri injection specials, and 702 capri injections. So was 'special' never an actual official model, just what people called them?

Don't confuse what the insurance companies say with what the doovla says.

For insurance purposes I have an A3 Tdi 110, the doovla says its an A3 Tdi an doesn't differentiate between the 90 and 110 bhp models.

But we know there's plenty of people with cars that have the wrong details on the V5.

I realise that doesn't answer your question at all.

Have you searched HowMany for those Capri Injection Specials?

Question: unofficial model names?

Down by my shed is my poor dead '86 capri injection special. The V5 for it says "capri injection" which always caused hours of entertainment with the insurance. Our computer says it's not a special sir... explain they stopped building the not special version years before mine etc.

But when I search on said how many site, there are 0 capri injection specials, and 702 capri injections. So was 'special' never an actual official model, just what people called them?

It was basically just a 2.8 injection facelift with half leather trim, different wheels and an LSD. I'm sure Ford originally advertised them as the 'special', but then again, they called the Mk5 Cortina the Cortina 80. Almost nobody else calls 'em that.

I doubt Ford would have registered them as 'special'. They stopped making LHD Capris a couple of years before the end, I imagine Ford UK just chucked 'special' bits on any 2.8 injections they had lying around without bothering to actually register 'em as 'special'. That way they could get rid of whatever bits they had left across Europeland.

Ooohh, that's an interesting one.

The DVLA model ID for the "109 - 5 cyl" is only the 9th model ID listed against Land Rover (just after "110 4 cyl FC"), so I'm guessing it pre-dates the DVLC computer. People have been transplanting engines in the old workhorses for donkeys years.. if somebody had managed to transplant a 5 cylinder engine into one before the computerisation happened, there's a chance it might have been recorded as an official model maybe?

Were there any 5 cylinder lumps around in the early 70s that would've been suitable for sticking in a Landy?

I know of at least two Gardner engines Series two models. I think one is a 5 cylinder. Perhaps VW Passat/Volvo 240 Diesel engine?

My 1961 Ex MOD 109 is registered as a coupe. Not listed. But is unique. Also in a million pieces in the "garden".

As for Meccano, damn right.

The mythical Colt Tredia appears to be pretty much extinct. According to the charts only 1 is licensed this year and one on SORN plus another licensed last year but not on the system for 2011.

If we assume that one has fallen by the wayside and one is the imported one that Mike had (the licensed one showing 1998 as year of registration)then:

THERE IS ONLY ONE GENUINE UK TREDIA IN EXISTENCE

O M G

I've also done a little search on my Mazda 323 GT (BD) and there are 4 left in existence.

Hmm, perhaps I'd better hang on to it, must be worth eleventy billion pounds. Suck on that XR3 owners!!!!

IMG_7533.jpg