How many left?

Hertz

Looking at those Skodas (a car I like quite a bit) the number left is depressingly low, as it is for many cars.

When I came across the "How many left" site, I decided to count the numbers left of my own car - a Jaguar XJ40. I found it was easier to search the original DVLA spreadsheet for my car since it shares model names with the X300 and I didn't want to accidentally include them. I was amazed at what I found: there are many many more of them left than I imagined - 5028 licensed and 3674 SORN'd - so 8,702 XJ40s left. They are not a rare car.

This means they have significantly out survived their rival new, the Mercedes 'S' Class. A quick search of all 280SE, 280SEL,300SE,300SEL,380SE, 380SEL,420SE,420SEL,500SE,500SEL and 560SEL reveals 2748 licensed and 1748 SORN - 4496 cars left, some of which will be W116 and some of which will be W140s (the S prefix was introduced in about 93/94)

I expected there to be less XJ40s left; maybe it proves the old maxim, "never underestimate an Englishman's love for a mouldering old Jag". :D

Second Chancer on the white 1.2SL please! All 71bhp of it. That badge will draw the kids out of their houses to gawp.

Apart from RatDat, anyone on here have the other two Europes?

imagevko.jpg

79136570.jpg

I'm slightly more amazed by the fact there were over 2000 of these things around in 1994..

I'm slightly more amazed by the fact there were over 2000 of these things around in 1994..

Howay shiters! Long time no post...

Re: Europes... To be fair, they were only about ten years old in 1994. I think there were near 40,000 Europes sold so that's a pretty big decline in a decade. I looked up the reg numbers of about 200 Europes (I have a list of all of them) and most never made it past 8 years old.

I know of one other Europe GTi which was up for sale recently for £2k. That's the only other GTi besides mine. Not sure where the 1.2 is. There were a couple of them not long ago... both white. It a surprise there being less ARNAs than Europes. I'm sure they would have sold more Alfa badged ones.

BTW, anyone else spot there's a Datsun HA30 Gloria listed. Long gone now, but I'm amazed there was ever any in this country. I've certainly never heard of one here before. The stats reckon there were two in 1994! For those not familiar with them, it's one of these...

4628555066_e90b695bdc.jpg

Blimey, only 2 Alfa Arnas - both on SORN.

Do you want a picture of both those arnas? I know the guy who owns them - in fact, autofive got to chat to him for most of the evening after I made my excuses and scarpered...

I had a look for chevannes... http://howmanyleft.co.uk/detail/D1005 and I can even tell that in 2009 (Q1) mine came off the road and went on SORN. Yeah, there's *that* many left :(

edit to add...

dsc00036.jpg

dsc00035.jpg

he's still got them - i wonder if he would consider selling?

IM027825.jpg

he's still got them - i wonder if he would consider selling?

No chance if he realizes he has the last two! Is the croma turbo still buried in the garage?

Arna story - he had the gold one on the road a couple of years back, and was working for Benfield Fiat/Alfa. The alfa salesman asked him why he put AR badges on a nissan....

Evenin' autoshiters!

Just a quick message to let you all know that I've updated howmanyleft.co.uk to show breakdowns of cars by year of registration too -- so you can now see exactly how old those remaining Arnas are :)

Olly (chief stats geek of howmanyleft.co.uk)

Hi

Seriously are you the person who we have to thank for answering so many questions about our cars!!

If so can i ask when the figures for 2011 are released and can you explain what the exact way the site work etc as a few of us are confused...

Well done!

oily

thanks for your great work. :D

Of course the data you are working with is not 100% accurate as it depends what the DVLA inputted the car as originally and therefore there maybe several descriptions covering the one type of car.

Never the less a great site. :D:D

I'm pretty sure I had a long chat with the Arna guy a few years ago at a Yorkshire Alfa day show somewhere near Leeds. He'd come down from the North East in the goldie/green Arna. I remember it certainly attracted a lot of attention 8)

We got talking because I was there with my Panda 45CL and the Arna guy had just bought a Y reg Panda 45 Super... :)

I'm pretty sure I had a long chat with the Arna guy a few years ago at a Yorkshire Alfa day show somewhere near Leeds. He'd come down from the North East in the goldie/green Arna. I remember it certainly attracted a lot of attention 8)

We got talking because I was there with my Panda 45CL and the Arna guy had just bought a Y reg Panda 45 Super... :)

this one?

IM027838.jpg

I'm afraid I've not come across any Land Rover Coupes, no :(

I've got a sneaking suspicion that all the really super-interesting stuff (and stuff with nonsensical names on the V5) has been lumped into http://howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/other_british_missing - look how the history stretches back to 1900, and some lucky soul actually has something that old still taxed and tested!

Regarding the multiple descriptions problem - yeah, it's a real issue with this data. In the this afternoon's update to the site I've tried to merge all the categories that had exactly matching names. Now there's a breakdown by age (also new this afternoon), it's possible to differentiate the different model generations (at least for 2010) without having to guess what the A9999-style make/model identifiers mean. It also means all the A9999-style make/model identifiers have gone from the site - they make no sense to anyone except the DVLA.

The site's currently running on data released by the Dep't for Transport in May. There was supposed to be a new release this Thursday, but it's yet to have appeared on the DfT Website. It's titled April 2011, so I'm hoping it'll contain data for Q1 2011.

THANKS LOADS to everyone for the lovely comments about the site. There's still more data to add to the site, so I'm going to be hard at work for a wee while longer on it - it's good to know that my efforts are appreciated! :D

Many thanks oily for bringing all this together. This is an invaluable resource, for example you can see what is the likelihood of finding the obscure motor that you are craving or feel smug about just how rare your latest save is; brilliant :D

Although I've posted in this thread as regards to the Alfa Arna CHAMPION I have also had a browse of the 'howmanyleft' site, with particular emphasis on the 'umble Fiat Panda.

I can anounce to the Autoshite world that the last ever example of the Fiat Panda 'Habitat' (a 1982 special edition in conjunction with the shop) died in 1999. Examples NIL :cry:

Other figures of note - 1 Panda 'VIP' (a MK1 based special edition) remains and 7 of the 500 'Italia 90' special editions survive...

PandaVIPJune1985-1.jpg

this one?

IM027838.jpg

If it was a VERY long chat it was the same guy for sure! He hitched a lift with me all the way to bornemouth in the LT.. I was collecting a cortina, he had won a pair of panda mk1 doors on ebay (which turned out to be less than a mile away from the tina :shock:

He could talk the hind legs off a Diesel Horizon..

If it was a VERY long chat it was the same guy for sure! He hitched a lift with me all the way to bornemouth in the LT.. I was collecting a cortina, he had won a pair of panda mk1 doors on ebay (which turned out to be less than a mile away from the tina :shock:

He could talk the hind legs off a Diesel Horizon..

Ha Ha. He did mention that he had won a pair of doors and was trying to organise the collection... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Looks likely then! Just to confirm and eliminate ANY doubt at all, did he remind you a little of Big Bird?

bigbird.png

ps... I bumped into him at ASDA one night, I had my son (asperger's, and not patient) with me. He was driving a FIAT coupe... 5 minutes of chat, then Conor says "Look, just get in your silly yellow car and fuck off...."