Calling all numberplate perverts: English flags on plates

Luxobarges_Are_Us

For some unknown reason, my car's got plates sporting the English flag. I'm not a numberplate freak like some of you lot, and I don't plan a trip to Scotland that could have lethal consequences, but I find myself making a mental connection with the silly plastic bits that people stick on their Astras just before the overpaid mouthbreathers who represent England get humiliated in the Euro/World Cup.

Would you keep them, change them to a 'plain' design, or would you go the whole hog and stick metal plates on a 1997ish car? Let's hear your opinions.

Officially the rules WERE that you had to have the Euro symbol, and the country code. They then relaxed them to allow the flag of the country of origin.

However - manufacturer logos, cartoons of Marge Simpson getting taken from behind, pictures of cannabis plants etc are still technically not allowed. How likely you are to get pulled depends on how far you're pushing it I guess.

Why not just lob the end of the plate off with a hacksaw and have a shorter one? As long as there's the appropriate border, they don't have to be a fixed size.

Leave 'em on, nowt wrong with being English!

I agree there's nothing wrong with being English, but I'm a Greek person driving a car that was made in Germany by an American manufacturer. Plus they remind me of the football-related sea of stick-on tat!

I use this chap here on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SET-GB-NUMBER-PLATES-7-99-inc-p-p-Delivered-/230631199897?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b2b0d499

£7.99 delivered for a pair of Euro plates with next day delivery, Well worth using if your after a normal set of plates plus you haven't got to show you V5.

Can't argue with that price! I note they have a couple of font options available- what's the correct font for S-reg?

My 305 has Union flags on its plates.

I hate them.

I have some Serck - a - like plates that I can't wait to fit to it.

The Dyane rolls with pressed-tin French font plates, made up by a kindly and slightly amused Breton while I shopped at the E.Leclerc hypermarket to which his concession was attached. The gaps at each end were filled with Halfrauds stickers; Welsh dragon at one end, EU flag at the other.

But then, I am a bit odd... :mrgreen:

Disagree.

/jock

Someone thought I was Scottish once. I explained that I couldn't be as my mum and dad weren't related until they were married :P:lol:

Leave 'em on - if you go abroad you won't need a GB sticker.

Yes you do. Plates with ENG, Union Jack, SCO or CYM will still need to display a GB sticker when travelling abroad. If your car has standard UK Euro flag plates you do not have to display a GB sticker.

Which only makes the national flags all the more ridiculous.

Disagree.

/jock

Someone thought I was Scottish once. I explained that I couldn't be as my mum and dad weren't related until they were married :P:lol:

"Union" flag it is for you then :wink:

Yes you do. Plates with ENG, Union Jack, SCO or CYM will still need to display a GB sticker when travelling abroad. If your car has standard UK Euro flag plates you do not have to display a GB sticker.

I really can't understand the people who feel they have to plaster their national identity on an irrelevant bit of government-mandated plastic. If you are THAT proud of your nationality, why not just cover your rear windscreen in a massive ENG/SCO/CYM/whatever sticker?

When I was working in Holland during 2008~2009 I just put a paper print of a GB sticker in my back window :mrgreen:

If they can't figure out a RHD car with white front and yellow rear plates is from the UK/GB they need re-trained...then again the cops over that way seem less inclined to pursue bullshit items. Of course, I've heard that might not be the case in France?

The Dutch police have to be some of the most polite police I've encountered....