Roverexposure: 825Si — the show must go on

RoadworkUK

MEGA PROPZ to you for getting this old thing ship shape, it looks absolutley great, I would feel like a WINNER going about my day-to-day carryings on in this car. HEY EARL! YOU CAN GET YASELF A BEER OUT THE FRIDGE IN MY OFFICE! DONT TOUGH THE GODDAM SCOTCH THOUGH

Car looks great Chris aka: Earl. Nice to have access to someone professional who can do a great to the bodywork and give it a valet. I've yet to meet people like that.

Not sure about reprogramming the handset, will see what I can dig up.

I hope you'll be able to make it to Cornwall and back without problems, my 800 couldnt even get me home, and that with the Honda engine :roll:

Cheers for the kind words, Gents. Took it to my Grandparents on the way home tonight, they seemed genuinely moved to see it how it is now, which is nice.

Bollo:- Thans for the b *hic*, thanns for the b *hic*, beer, man. I didn't touch the s *hic*, didn't touch the... *hic* SCOTCH, it was gone *hic*, before I got there.

Excellent to hear you’re getting it sorted.

I must admit to similar apprehensiveness about journeys in the Camry V6, there’s something about the extra complexity and not having used it a massive amount yet that makes me nervous...

Would be interesting to meet up one day and compare them.

Psion or Filofax? :mrgreen:

Got to be the Bob Marley organiserâ„¢

Iron, like a lion, in Psion.

I've already got my coat.

And I fear a 3 way exec-o-barge tussle would come out with the 800 in bottom place. The Scorp will handle the best and have the most interior space, the Camry will be the most refined and well built. The Rover, erm....

Has easily the best piping on the seat cushions.

I’ve just seen this thread – top work, sir!

About 15 years ago my boss of the time had a Rover 800 as his company car, then he had another one. He wasn’t selfish lending it out so I did quite a lot of miles in it, I always found the 2 litre to be sprightly enough when you thrash it but on twisty B roads it really struggled. He couldn’t keep up with me in a 1275cc MG Midget, and when I was making assertive progress in the 800 once I got severe brake fade.

Comfy inside though, and you can get warm air to your feet and cool air to your face with the heater, which is nice.

In the job before that I worked at the place that did some of the electronics (hang my head in shame). The number of window and mirror switches on my desk at one point was colossal.

Great work on your car, no matter how badly the car reviews were when it was new (did you ever see the Car article where the title was “Beware of the dog�) it’s nice to see one taken care of now. Spending loads of time and money on a Rover 800 is quality Autoshite, some people spend that much and only have a Ferrari or something to show for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers GarethJ!

So it successfully whisked my girlfriend and I all the way to Cornwall and back.

Is there nothing this car can’t do?

DSC_0306b.jpg

Covered about 900 miles in the week, a proper, brim-to-brim fuel calculation revealed 34.8mpg, fully laden and including a fair bit of rural work, dropping to 31.somethingorother while we were exploring the countryside. Not bad at all.

“Man goes on holiday in reliable car shockerâ€Â.

So far, so boring for you chaps. But fortunately, this 800 does have a few gremlins, so the planet can return to its normal axis and we can all get a decent nights sleep and stop worrying.

It seems to be slightly possessed by the spirit of Joe Lucas. One morning I awoke to find that the driver’s side window had magically opened over night. A few nights later the alarm set itself off, much to the chagrin of the campsite, who were no doubt concerned by the arrival of a thirteen year old Rover from day one.

Also, twice I’ve noticed the drivers footwell carpet to be damp, but it seems to be intermittent, e.g, not just after rainfall. My first thoughts were of blocked drain channels or, more sinister, a cracked heater matrix.

Possibly related; on the 4AM journey down I noted that the Climate Control had to be dialled up to at least 26 degrees before any meaningful warmth came through, even with the engine up to temperature. The gauge reads OK, though. I’m hoping it’s just a sticking thermostat. I’ll loz a new one on anyway when I get around to doing those relay belts.

But anyway, looks like I’ll be Roverbound for the rest of the year. I’ll tuck it back in the garage when the MOT runs out in January and get the Audi out again for the salt, slush and shite.

Also, tonight it penetrated 58000 miles. And dont worry, I'm not going to update this thread using a new fucking pun every time I pop to the shops.

Excellent. I bloody love your attitude towards this whole thing Earl, getting stuck in and making an essentially worthless car a perfect everyday barge. I guess it helps that there is some emotional attachment to it. I for one would deffo like to see how far you can take the punnage before completely getting everybody's back up!

Great stuff there Chris, glad you made it there and back without any problems, very rare for an 800 of any age to do so, but that aside, they are very nice, comfy and smooth to drive. Despite all my 800 Sterling fleet sitting around doing nothing in particular and my latest one simply pissing me off, I do miss jumping into them and listening to the roaring V6 whilst sitting in electrically-ajustable comfy connolly leather clad seats. Hopefully I shant have to wait too much longer, actual progress, believe it or not, is being made.

....sitting in electrically-ajustable comfy connolly leather clad seats.

I can only dream of such refinements! Keep fit adjustment only, here...

Glad your Rover world is brightening a bit. About time those clouds parted!

And cheers, Barrett. Much appreciated comments.

bloody good work!!!! love it..

mate bro in law had the v6 2 years ago and crashed as he a crappy driver so replaced it 2.0 one but moaned too slow and he popped the the lump... now he has a previa (2nd engine as he killed 1st) and astra sxi 1.6 16v with ditch finder tyres and naff suspension

I'm sure my R800 was a similar reg. R177NOJ.

Extremely likely. A lot of NOJmobiles were initialy owned by Longbridge as fleet or press cars. Mine was, its two owners before me were Rover Group and Grandad.

A colleague gave me this little retro gem today:

24082011780.jpg

There's a possibility that fitting it will make me look like AN KNOB. But I'm going to do it anyway.

And I'm not even a member! Ker-ray-zeeee!

• 2 months later...

This made oi larf.

Stereotypically, the usual avenue of mocking taken by the chaps at work is that my Rover 800 is an "old man's car". Imagine that!

So, I spent a day out of the dealership delivering an SLK to Liverpool, and this is what they had done to my car by the time I returned.

23102011152.jpg

I didn't actually notice until the cabbie who gave me a lift back to the dealership knocked on my window and congratulated me for the personalised plate! Shame the format is incorrect, I'd be onto the DVLA pronto otherwise.