Lobsters Renault 4 habit - A Tale of Two Renault 4s

Mr Lobster

Its been a busy couple of months here in R4 land. Heres why >

New GTL arrived, broke down on M6, got fixed (battery terminals fitted upside down), overheated, got fixed (temp switch borked), then got its wheels painted and bumpers painted. Fitted rear seatbelts for carriage of smallest Lobster. Need to fit a fag lighter socket for iplod / satnav charging fun and paint osr wing and then replace nsf wing. After that its off to 4L International in France (http://www.4linternational.com). Might be for sale after that.

DSCN0260.jpg

J126.jpg

r4bumpers.jpg

R002.jpg

R001.jpg

R006.jpg

R4 van has been reasonably well behaved. Went on a photoshoot with CS&C magazine (due out end of June) which was a great if rather long day.

r43-1.jpg

r42.jpg

z020.jpg

Managed to find a new rear bumper in France (bought two, one for spare!) so fitted that over Easter

r4a.jpg

r41-1.jpg

r44-1.jpg

MOT'd with only an advisory about scratches on the windscreen. Happy days!

For the last couple of years I have totally ignorder the charms of the 4L,,,,,but now,,,I finally give in,,,,,,,I love them :oops: . All I have to do is try to sell the 18 Turbo and I'm on a mission to find a 4L.... :P

Anybody want an 18 TURBO---ITS THE ONE ON EBAY--willing to swop for a good 4L!(DID i JUST SAY THAT)

Ah, yes. I read about the R4 50th Anniversary celebrations in this weeks Classic Car Weekly. Glad to hear you are going and will hopefully tell us of your trip.

I always recall the story of their launch in 1961 when a load of them were left on the streets of Paris with the keys in the ignition for people to freely test drive. Am I right in thinking that all but one were returned safely?

Imagine doing that nowadays!

I fappin love your van! the colour really suits it, is it that Gordini blue?

I used to work for Renault and had a few come in for parts, I've driven one and bloody loved it, one thing I've always wondered about is those handle-type over-rider things on the front wings, is it just a styling feature or is there some other reason for them? a bit of an odd after-thought methinks.

I have great memories of being driven around in my Uncles 1971 model back in the early 70s. It used to get loaded up to the gunnels but still sat at 70MPH all the way down from Leics to London without missing a beat. Tough, tough little buggers, something i MUST own one day! :)

Cheers for the comments!

I fappin love your van! the colour really suits it, is it that Gordini blue?

I used to work for Renault and had a few come in for parts, I've driven one and bloody loved it, one thing I've always wondered about is those handle-type over-rider things on the front wings, is it just a styling feature or is there some other reason for them? a bit of an odd after-thought methinks.

Its Saviem Blue - Renault used that colour on a lot of commercial stuff right up to the Kangoo.

The pram handles are really just decorative I think - they bolt to the inside of the inner wing and the bumper so you wouldn't want to pull anything with them I wouldn't have thought!

I believe one of the cars in the picture is a Renault 3, which was an even more basic version of the Renault 4 (if that's not an oxymoron!) with the rear side window blanked off, only available in grey and with no door cards; God that's basic!

My late father (ever one for strange vehicles...) had a Renault 4 van in the early 1960's; 3 speed, 6 volts & S-O-F-T suspension... It's on the right of this rather grainy picture!

4589905970_e686e38e8a_b.jpg

Scan10098 by andrew353w, on Flickr

I would truly love one of these vehicles now-brilliant design; utilitarian and cheap! Excellent!!

Excellent!

I would love an early-ish R4 (pre- placca trim), such a timeless no frills shape and seemingly mega useful for lugging stuff about. My ex, who is some sort of secret 'shiter, wanted to get a van to replace her Puch Maxi but I think she has caved and got something modern-ish and boring now. Obviously my influence is less than I thought.

Can't wait for the C&SC article, looks like a belter

Anybody want an 18 TURBO---ITS THE ONE ON EBAY--willing to swop for a good 4L!(DID i JUST SAY THAT)

Interesting. If you still have it come late July then we may need to discuss this :mrgreen:

Throw in a life time supply of Renault models and we may just have a deal :D

As a 2CV owner I probably 'can't' like R4s, but that's alright... I don't like them, I love them!

Yeah, I suffer from that too. I'd love one. I tried hiding my love for Renault 4s by owning an early Renault 5.

Actually you hit it on the head------I have been hiding my love for the 4 buy buying everthing else. :oops:

There's a lotta 4 LOVE (4 PLAY)out there at the moment.

Funnily I've been keeping my eye out for one for a while now, purely to go to that event. I really don't have space for another car but was planning to take DaddyAa, but he's not very well at the moment so probably couldn't do it even if a decent R4 fell into my lap :(

Anyway, that looks like a really noce one!

broke down on M6, got fixed (battery terminals fitted upside down), overheated, got fixed (temp switch borked), then got its wheels painted and bumpers painted. Fitted rear seatbelts for carriage of smallest Lobster.

Wow, you managed to do all that on the M6, Well done. :lol:

broke down on M6, got fixed (battery terminals fitted upside down), overheated, got fixed (temp switch borked), then got its wheels painted and bumpers painted. Fitted rear seatbelts for carriage of smallest Lobster.

Wow, you managed to do all that on the M6, Well done. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• 3 weeks later...