LADA--YES OR NO?

RENOMAD

Guys,,,,,,I have a hankering to buy a LADA. I remember my old man looking at a new one back in 1987..He hated it,but I took a strange shine to it,especially the RIVA ESTATE.Now it would be to bring to a show(or maybe not).What do you guys think----I like having something different,that why I have the Renaults! :roll:

I guys NO--with the lack of replies :oops:

What, you think we say "No" collectively because there were no responses within 27 minutes of your original post? :lol: Of course you should buy one. They're so bad, they're good (my mum had them when I was growing up. Made her get a Metro when I was old enough to learn to drive, mind).

I drove one once and thought it was quite poor in terms of performance and general road manners but then I thought, why would you expect those things in a Lada anyway? It's not a sporting saloon, it's basic transport. If you don't expect it to be something it's not then it's great. Tough as old boots and in my eyes, quite nice looking but then I'm partial to old style three box saloons.

NO NO NO.I had to deliver a new Riva estate (in orange) to a customer once, it was the worse 40-odd miles I've ever experienced. I like shonky old cars, but these have no good points at all. 25mpg and dog slow. NO!

Just came across a piece online today which states that Renault have acquired a 25% share of AUTOVAZ which is the manufacturer of LADA cars. I showed this to all the guys here at the dealership-----The reaction was not good---Just when we thought Renaults couldn't get any worse :oops:

Made her get a Metro when I was old enough to learn to drive, mind.

You did WHAT? :oops:
Rover Metro, not an Austin job - I'm not a contortionist. Marvellous wee car, at the time (1994) the press were still raving about them, the NCAP scores were a long way off, and the rear room didn't bother me - those Rover 800 front chairs were dead comfy. Anyways, anything is better than a Lada Samara when you're 17. Plus, the Metro (ex-Swan National hire job, 9 months old) came from the local Lada dealer - we were going to get an AX, but the Citroen dealer just wouldn't budge from his derisory trade-in offer.Happy days - I had hair and decent wheels, and didn't have to drive a Lada...

Ah, I suppose when you put it that way.......Anyway - I had a picture of a Riva in my head. Had you said it was a Samara, I never would have questioned the decision.Can anybody say anything positive about a Samara?Go on theres a new challenge for you...Comunitst Pile 'o Tat CPT challenge.

Rivas are the way forward - tough, simple and RWD. The interiors are awful, but at least nothing falls off - unlike the Samara. The Samara was the third (and last) Lada we owned, following a Riva 1200L saloon and a 1200 Estate (pre-Riva, S reg I believe) before that. Nowadays my mum refuses to drive anything that's not automatic, PAS and a/c-equipped, and bigger than a Metro. Probably as a result of owning the Ladas...A Riva wagon with the 1500 engine would, I reckon, be a surprisingly useful piece of shite.

Ah, I suppose when you put it that way.......Anyway - I had a picture of a Riva in my head. Had you said it was a Samara, I never would have questioned the decision.Can anybody say anything positive about a Samara?

I'm positive they were shite! Weren't they based on the original Fiat Tipo design?

Riva s are cool. Samaras are shite.

I thought the same until I got a Sammy, after carefull consideration I have come to the conclusion that Samaras are much better than Rivas but not as good as Nivas, all Ladas are your rock solid basic shite however that are designed to just crack on with it!

If you want a Lada that strikes fear into the hearts of over 500 million people have a look at my lovely Riva, fresh from the body shop today, it's showing off in front of my Volga

Posted Image

And here's my gorgeous Samara

Posted Image