tow in vehicles which have broken down

or crashed.Mr.Ryan does Ministry of

Transport (M.O.T.) tests on vehicles

over 3 years old.He works on both

British and foreign cars and considers

that British cars are better to work

on because parts are cheaper and

easier to get hold of.

I may have to bookmark this for later, I have rather similar work to do today...

Heard them talking about this, this morning on the radio. I've been looking through my local area.

I remember them coming to my school to tell us all about the Domesday project, but I couldn't actually remember writing/doing anything for it. All the articles that were written by 'our' village school are all credited to the year above. So that explains that.

It's great that they've managed to retrieve all these articles from the clutches of obsolesence :D:D

Finally Autoshite HQ:

gb.3.400000.282000.1.1986.jpg

This picture came up as a scrapyard in Harborne. If the same scrappy on Harborne Lane I'm thinking of, they closed about 7-odd years ago, there used to be a house on the site but has since been demolished apart from the ground floor frontage. I visited this scrappy a few times, but I didnt have a car, any tools or knowledge about cars. Last time I visited I scrapped my Sierra Sapphire Ghia. I remember my little sister saying she spotted it on top of a pile of cars a few months later :cry:

1985, BBC Micro's, Laserdisc's? Were talking Autoshite here!

gb.3.628000.144000.1.1986.jpg

That's a shot of Hammond's on the Whitfield Roundabout near Dover, about seven miles away from where I lived as a child. At one point it was the busiest petrol station in Europe, due to traffic from Dover's Eastern Docks, but it is now a shadow of its former self - the last time I was in the area a few months ago, the pumps in the photo were derelict. Also, the shop/amenities building in the background was replaced by a McDonald's drive-thru in the 1990s.

I love sites like this!, Keith Adams posted it up on facebook eariler and I've been hammering it since!.

This is the local pub from were i grew up, It hasn't changed a bit apart from it's now a house and not a pub any more.

gb.3.588000.219000.1.1986.jpg

and a few random car based photos I've found.

gb.3.592000.216000.2.1986.jpg

gb.3.604000.219000.3.1986.jpg

gb.3.628000.234000.2.1986.jpg

gb.3.428000.111000.2.1986.jpg

ni.3.336000.396000.2.1986.jpg

gb.3.356000.423000.3.1986.jpg

gb.3.492000.489000.3.1986.jpg

gb.3.416000.285000.2.1986.jpg

gb.3.444000.495000.2.1986.jpg

gb.3.328000.96000.3.1986.jpg

That looks very much like Websters garage workshop in Axminster. Now a derelict, it was a BMC dealer for many years. The showroom still exists at the other end of the town and is now a pet shop or something.

Edit - it is Websters.

Story here....

http://www.devon24.co.uk/news/axminster ... k_1_776296

Bloody shame - another interesting old building left to rot. Probably going to build a bastard Tescos there.

Guest Leonard Hatred

There's loads of shit on there, like indistinct underexposed photographs of farmland.

gb.3.288000.810000.2.1986.jpg

This view isn't much different now, apart from a Tesco. Should send them a current one, taken at VGA quality levels on a mobile phone obviously.

GR9.8! fucking brilliant cheers.

Fuck me I work in a building behind the building behind the silver car (can't decide if its a Starlet or not, the rear lights seem to be too big for a mk1 Fiesta) in this picture if anybody gives a shit. The building behind the silver car is a pub...of which I work next door to....and frequent...most nights...and its still a bit shit, barmaid has a frankly stunning arse though so I'm not looking at the decor.

Jones' Garage is long gone, I belive it was a Porsche then an Audi garage or vice-versa and is now one of those huge petrol stations that sell everything you don't want so every other dipshit does their weekly shop there so instead of being able to fill up and fuck off you have to wait for the mouth-breathing dregs of society fumble about for change to buy some croissants or a frozen pizza and some bog roll, just sell me reasonably priced petrol, fags and maybe some milk thats all I ask.

ci.3.566000.5449000.3.1986.jpg

1985 eh?

Well I'd been shipped off to BAOR and this was blasting out of playing in every barrack room in the camp!

Funnily enough, I was 19 too!

Not a lot of information for my home area (Stow/Galashiels) in Scotland on that site unfortunately but did find this snippet:

THE FOLLOWING OBSERVATIONS HAVE BEEN

WRITTEN BY TEENAGERS.

GALASHIELS IS A RELATIVELY SMALL TOWN

BOASTING SOME TWELVE THOUSAND

INHABITANTS BUT, OWING TO ITS STATUS

AS SOCIAL CENTRE OF THE BORDERS,IT

ENJOYS A CONSTANT FLOW OF VISITORS

BOTH FROM SURROUNDING AREAS AND

FURTHER AFIELD,AND DURING THE SUMMER

IS A HUB OF ACTIVITY.

HOWEVER BENEATH THE IDYLLIC VENEER

LURKS THE SEAMIER SIDE OF LIFE COMMON

TO MANY LARGER TOWNS.DRUG AND SOLVENT

ABUSE,ALCHOHOLISM AND VANDALISM,ARE

GROWING PROBLEMS.LICENCED CLUBS AND

PUBLIC HOUSES ADMITTING PEOPLE UNDER

THE AGE OF EIGHTEEN ENCOURAGES THEM TO

PARTICIPATE IN ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES,

ADDING TO TO THESE SOCIAL PROBLEMS.

:mrgreen:

Guest Leonard Hatred
After doing a spot of reading at the domesday site, I found another project which might be of use in a few years time.

RCAHMS is another good one, for Scotland at least. Some of the images go back to the early age of photography.

GR9.8! fucking brilliant cheers.

Fuck me I work in a building behind the building behind the silver car (can't decide if its a Starlet or not, the rear lights seem to be too big for a mk1 Fiesta)

It's a Mazda 323, first generation one, '77-'81ish.

Found a letter talking about school life from my old next door neighbour from when I lived in Gretna as a kid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/domesday/dblock/GB-328000-567000/page/6

No interest to anyone else but gave me butterflies in my stomach. Remember her dad had a shitty Datsun Cherry though.

Tenuously linked, here's a Datsun Cherry and a Marina couple (I think) in Angmering West Sussex where i was living in 1985. Cant remember whatever was going on here though.gb.3.504000.102000.2.1986.jpg

I have noticed that in the posher areas, there is not very much stuff but in the poorer area's there is more stuff from the schoolkids etc. Was this thing bigged up in the Sun or something?

Interesting reading. there does only seem to be 3 photos for each area though. i wonder if this will expand or something?