Hail Leyland. It shall never die!

dollywobbler

There were all sorts of deals done back in the day, in the Commonwealth, freebird. Could have been Leyland-Toyota at one stage too, if Leyland had bothered to send anyone to a famous meeting that never happened.

ashok leyland was built on the smoking remnants of BL's overseas operations a long time ago so sadly this isn't going to have any content you'd recognise. although ashok did build B series engines (and the auraly pleasing o.680 diesel) under license

Sorry, dunno what TLAC means, but as long as it doesnt mean Ive caught an STD off of you, I dont care.

The truck, at least, looks like you might keep your legs if you hit somebody up the arse or have a head on, unless its made of tin foil.

As far as I know, Ashok Leyland did have BL involvement at the time they started up, although they would have been known as Leyland at the time. Weirdly, they also made Ford Cargos under licence at one point, imagine the flying plughole being planted on that. Also, weirdly, for a company with that logo stuck on their products, they have done pretty damn well.

TLAC = Treated like a cunt, usually it's WHIBTLAC- why have I been treated like a cunt. It's more of a Macdroitwich thing than an Autoshite thing though.

MACDROITWICH RIMMED 300 CARS A MONTH

There's a Chinese company using the Leyland name (and a version of the old plughole logo modified with what looks like some Windows 95 Clipart) and building 'modernised' versions of the old Leyland tractor range as well.

They had a comically awful website at one point but I can't find it.

Just look at that... I think we can now safely say where LDV went wrong.

Nissan_Ashok-Leyland_DOST_Interior-1024x525.jpg

BMC also did their best with Leyland offcuts; they've been seen on here already IIRC with the Levend...

3997228441_102b5cd5da_z.jpg

BMC Levend by jens.lilienthal, on Flickr

... but they also did this with what is still one of my favourite looking truck cabs... Ladles and Jellyspoons, feast your eyes on the bastardised Leyland Super G-cab which became the BMC Fatih...

2523155749_21fe448db6_b.jpg

Weirdly, they also made Ford Cargos under licence at one point, imagine the flying plughole being planted on that.

Feast your eyes upon the Plughole!

5347845502_d00a1da1b5_z.jpg

Ashok Leyland U truck by Balaji.B, on Flickr

Okay so its been restyled a fair bit, but its still a Cargo cab. Actually, I thought it was only the Cargo cab they had from Ford?

... and BEFORE they made it ugly!

5465886422_271df5ea35_z.jpg

Ashok Leyland Stallion by Danny McL, on Flickr

It looks like something that would have looked likely to replace the Bedford Rascal – 15 years ago. I don't think that looks too bad actually. I'm quite fond of the little thing in a strange kind-of way – and in hearing-aid beige too. Flying the Leyland badge suits it – being something always behind the competition. I wonder if it’s asthmatic to drive as it looks?

Beige interior too – GR8 for building sites…

Leyland Stallion – love the name!