In the brown stuff again...No locking wheelnut key!

Luxobarges_Are_Us

Managed to find the one (non-chain) tyre place in Sheffield that was open today, they had a nice hankook with over 4mm of tread and would charge me 30 quid for that and for swapping my spare, but then realised that the bit that had that looked like a wheelnut was nothing more than a daft plastic cap as opposed to a key, and that the wheels couldn't be taken out. The key was nowhere to be found around the car, so it should be assumed that the chap that sold me the car lost it 3 years ago or something. Muppet.

The owner of the tyre place reckoned that the keys are different from car to car so, even with stock wheels, I can't pick a key off a scrappie. This has left me with a tyre that's still legal but only just, and probably subject to the whim of a traffic cop on a power trip. I told him "drill through the bloody thing", and he said that even that wouldn't work...

What to do?

Will be looking at the socket hammering videos tomorrow, cheers for the tip!

What car is it? if its a VAG OE locking bolt (looks like a torx but with loads of points) then a dealer will have a full set of keys for them, there are only about 15 combinations.

1996 Accord- I think that'd make it mk6. I don't really have much desire to ever speak to the Honda dealer again after being quoted 264 pounds+ VAT for the bit of metal that goes under the name "clutch pedal housing". If there's a set with 15 keys in it, they'll probably be selling it for 1,847 quid. Having said that, there's a scrapyard that only does Hondas in Dunstable, and I'll be in Luton on Tues/Weds...Guess they may be able to help out if there's only a limited amount of keys for them.

I lost the locking wheelnut key for my Renault Megane just before failing the MOT on a tyre. Nipped up to the local tyre place and we agreed that I would chisel off the outer spinny round bits (and be responsible for any damage to the rims) while he used their removal tool to get the central bolt part out. We had all 4 done in about 30mins and he only charged me £10 on top of the price of the tyre and tracking that they were doing. I was chuffed with that :D

Years ago my dad emptied out his car before sending it for its service*, including the locking wheel nut key. They (Renault main dealer) called him at work to say they couldn't do the service without the key. He called me in a panic and I had to take a taxi into Manchester to deliver this little key, adding an extra £30 to his service bill. I think what I'm trying to say is that some dealers do not have copies of the locking wheelnut keys.

* Only occurred to me later that a car did not need to be stripped bare before being sent for a service. When asked, Dad said it was because he was leaving it with strangers, but if I didn't trust my mechanics not to steal my cassettes I wouldn't trust them with the car!

Those Sealey products are ace. my local tyre man has a set & I'm often down there ''borrowing'' his sockets and air gun. Just bang it on & wind it off. Simples.

Only ever had one really fight -got it off but couldnt get it out of the socket. needed ot take it home, stick it in the vice and belt hell out of it. That sorted it.

I'd buy a set -if i didnt have immediate access.

I know it's not the shite way; but my Dad had to buy a new wheel nut key from Ford a while ago. I can't remember why; only that he did. He had to produce proof of ownership; but the key itself was cheap. I'd suggest at least asking the dealer first.

I'm happy to report some WIN for a change.

Took car to a backstreet place in the crapital that's owned by a Kurdish/Persian/Afghan chap with two sufficiently illegal-looking employees, and they brought out the massive hammer and managed to free up 3 out of 4 locked nuts, only causing a tiny hairline crack on one of the wheels. The fourth one is in the back and has a tyre that's perfectly good for another 8-10k. Cost me 50 quid, including swapping the spare over and supplying me with a part-worn. Only problem was that the tyre storage room was a bit dark, and the part-worn with the unusual tread pattern turned out to be a winter tyre, which I realised after I had left the garage, but I rang and he's happy to swap it...once that happens, we can be talking about a RESLUT!!!11 !

He cracked one of the wheels? Really? Are you sure its not a sctratch in the lacquer?

I witnessed it as it was happening...Hammers stuck nut, nothing happens....hammers again, nada...hammers third time, the nut is still as stuck as ever but the wheel's got a nice little crack between that nut and the nearest spoke! I don't think it's anything to worry about, but it just goes to show how bad things can get with a little bit of bad luck!

Fookin wars, you defo wanna get rid of that if the wheel rim is cracked.

hang on, i'm getting baffled. The rim is where the wheel meets the tyre, right? That's not cracked. The crack is in the middle of the wheel, starting just next to the offending nut and finishing at the beginning of the nearest spoke.

the crack that is on the most stressed point of the wheel - ie where it bolts on!

Look, it was nice knowing you, but so long and good bye.

Your next trip may involve a ditch, a 44 tonner or the side of a building!

Fookin wars, you defo wanna get rid of that if the wheel rim is cracked.

hang on, i'm getting baffled. The rim is where the wheel meets the tyre, right? That's not cracked. The crack is in the middle of the wheel, starting just next to the offending nut and finishing at the beginning of the nearest spoke.

the crack that is on the most stressed point of the wheel - ie where it bolts on!

Look, it was nice knowing you, but so long and good bye.

Your next trip may involve a ditch, a 44 tonner or the side of a building!

Fuck, that does sound quite alarming! I knew the speedy resolution of such a seemingly insurmountable problem was a bit too good to be true. :cry: