small cheap car required by miserable scotsman

scooters

OK, the 850 AWD will be sadly leaving the stable in the next few weeks. This means the Doris will take over the 240 as the family bus which leaves me with the Sherpa as a daily - this ain't especially practical and given that I can do 300 a week it will use up my insurance allowance quickly and the premium I have to pay if I go over 5k is large....

I just missed out on a very clean 1993 205 Junior 1.7 diesel which went for £375 on the bay today - that sort of car would be ideal - issue is I only have about £250-300 spesh if I have to travel to collect it.

Anyone know of sanything suitable? ear in mind I am in Edinburgh so collecting form Kent would sort of defeat the purpose (not like the good old days!)

in petrol nowt bigger than a 1.4 and in diesel obviously I'd consider a 1.8. - 3 or 5 doors doesn't matter really but some decent MOT would be nice and it has to be solid and practical.

205/106/mk1/2 Polo/Ka/fiesta etc.....would consider something eastern european - eve a trabbi but doubt I'd get one for £300!!

obviously if I could afford it then Cavs Astra would be kicking or Mr B's Xsara and in an ideal world I would have bought that mint Maxi on the bay a the moment.

cheers

What's the script with the Volvo old chum, got a home for it?

Fingers crossed, I might be taking on the 850 AWD (financial director agreement pending). Under discussion.

If the Astra made it up this far, I could drive it North if I were collecting the Ovlov.

Fingers crossed, I might be taking on the 850 AWD (financial director agreement pending). Under discussion.

If the Astra made it up this far, I could drive it North if I were collecting the Ovlov.

Hey Richard! Thinking again... you were admiring my BX14... fancy it? Currently getting it sorted for Cholmondeley while driving it daily. MOT April, 11month's tax, so it'll owe me more than the £400 I paid for it. Slight scabbiness and flat paint as yet untackled. Rear arm bearings are the next priority.

It would be an easy swap though: BX+cash=850AWD.

I didn't want to eat on an empty stomach - three glasses of wine later... will I regret this?

Hey Richard! Thinking again... you were admiring my BX14... fancy it? Currently getting it sorted for Cholmondeley while driving it daily. MOT April, 11month's tax, so it'll owe me more than the £400 I paid for it. Slight scabbiness and flat paint as yet untackled. Rear arm bearings are the next priority.

I didn't want to eat on an empty stomach - three glasses of wine later... will I regret this?

hi mate, I think you should keep the 14 - they are rare as mustard and you'll get heaps of fun out of it and whilst I would love it I would be replacing with a scimitar at some4 point in the next few months and it could end up in some dodgey geezers hands...it would be a shame to let it go especially when you will have done so much work on it. Besides which, the 'finance director' won't forgive me if I get another 'of those old citroens' and I haven't the energy for the fight!!!

but then again.........if you really want to!

There was a 51-plate Fiesta sitting in the yard at Normand+Thomson, up the industrial estate. Can't recall what the price was, might have been about the £500 mark, don't quote me on that. Not a lot on the 'bay hereabouts at the mo', is there? I'll keep my eyes peeled... :wink:

Likely to be some cheapo small vans coming up in your HOOD soon - just heard the firm I used to work for in Falkirk have gone bust [AGAIN].

Here's hoping the 'small vans' are 1975 SHERPAZ 200's!!!!!

fat chance!

There was a 51-plate Fiesta sitting in the yard at Normand+Thomson, up the industrial estate. Can't recall what the price was, might have been about the £500 mark, don't quote me on that. Not a lot on the 'bay hereabouts at the mo', is there? I'll keep my eyes peeled... :wink:

thanks CJ, I'll have a snoop - if KJ is serious about the BX then it could work well for both of us - we could 'meet' in a dodgey car park somewhere in Gateshead...after dark as advised against by every police force in the country!

If not, I know it's not especially cheap to run, but I have sourced a mint late 80's Saab 900 cooking model - I do like them and actually prefer them to the turbos.....not sure though - they do like a drink

doh! there is only one obvious answer - an air cooled Daf!

Tracking down a tidy 33 and an interesting looking 46 through the OC just now - can't believe I didn't think oif this first!!! Dafs are ace, I've had several 44s and a 55 the de dion axel on the 46 makes them a bit better on the road but you trade off a bit of the AWSUM POWAH of the 44

That's the pne I sold you last year HI! I'd be interested as you are a lot closer and it is a tidy car that I know really well with the added bonus of an aftermarket sunroof and in my best colour as well...

yup Dafs give you aout 30-35mpg but they are robust and very cheap to fix/ensure - also for small cars they are pretty big inside

.....would consider something eastern european - even a trabbi but doubt I'd get one for £300!!

Don't even think about doing a regular 300 mpweek in a trabbi

I thought you'd got a bad back - you soon fucking will have

& don't forget that your ears start to bleed when you hit 80 (kmph)

& they struggle to do 35 mpg

they're OK for dropping into top at 25mph (like a marina) or for nipping out for milk/paper/fags because they 2 stroke & you don'y have to worry about the oil / engine getting up to working temp etc

but I seem to remember that the cheap stinky stuff cost as much as Mobil 1

Heater fit to light fags off by the end of the road though...

truly the oddest car I have ever owned

30-35MPG isn't very good, might as well buy a big exec car and see similar results.

Yeahhhhh, my twin turbo S5* will shit on the lot of your and will still do 30 MPG.

I have been spoilt somewhat with diesels the past few years. Although my 306 TD never did more than 38. Ever. Never did less than 38, either.

Guest Leonard Hatred

My last 405 once selected 33MPG average out of a tank. Combination of ragging, fucked intercooler-inlet manifold gasket and leaky fuel filter housing.

The 405 'Style' managed 56MPG once, keeping pace with HGVs and staying off the turbo.

That's when diesel was "expensive" at £1.35-£1.40 a litre in 2008.