Gear that is actually worth having

cobblers

A pint of diesel makes a good engine flush. Don't use 5 pints though :oops:

An old sage once told me that a pint of Dexron II or III works a treat, too :)

ATF is full of useful tricks. It's full of detergents and high octane. Works well as a Redex substitute.

However for £30, I'll continue to stab a screwdriver straight through the filter and spin the lot around.

I did that once on the Scirocco, but I pushed it through too hard and it went straight through a live wire running from the battery to the alternator and caught fire. Was a great deal of panic for about 20 seconds and some quite badly burnt fingers. :oops:

Am getting one of those socket ones, they look ace. I have been struggling with the chain ones for years.

I had a chain one. Last time I used it the plastic handle bit slipped off as I was applying some force and I ended up punching the side of the block really quite hard. I may have used a swear word, I can't remember...

I think it was my old Leon that had an oil filter with a kind of nut shaped thing on the end, so you just unwound the oil filter with a spanner. That was a nifty idea I thought.

for filling gearboxes I use a length of garden hose with a bit of 15mm plumbers copper pipe jammed in one end, and a funnel jammed in the other end

about 3 feet of hose is normally about right

you can tie the funnel to the bonnet and feed the hose down behind the engine and then stick the copper pipe into the transmission filler/level hole

a tool that I paid for that I think is great is the Gunson Eezibleed

in fact it's about the only way to do clutch circuits on RWD Peugeots

I also bought a 2 foot long 3/4" drive T bar years ago and it's great for drive shaft nuts, hub nuts and the like

Two of my longtime workshop favorites! happy0034.gif

Mityvac Brake Bleeder, I'd got my original direct from the UK importer, but it was stolen from my locker at the Met. police boatyard/car/motorcycle workshop in Wapping! Got my second one from Gus Kuhn in sarf' London.

Mityvac_New.JPG

Davida Moto Vacuum Gauges, bought from David Fiddiman at his original Wirral HQ.

full_029934318.jpg

Both are a joy to use.

Double Zero.

this is probably the finest gear you can ever get.

apparently they just let the leaves dry on the (green) plants and let it fall onto a sieve

from where it is gently shaken into just a drop of water and compressed into soap bar things.

Compare that with 'nine-bar' which is the above mentioned 00

mixed with 9 parts of whatever else is lying about including the polythene packaging.

I no longer smoke the stuff, but when I used to do it, I'd only smoke the proper 00

if I knew (personally) the bloke whose arse it had been stuffed up

to make it into the UK

edit - fuck - just re-read the original post - I may have misinterpreted

+1 for the Gunson eazybleedy pressure bleed kit thing.

A decent multimeter is another essential - one with a 'dwell' setting is invaluable if you run something with points.

Then it's just the basics, trolley jack, axle stands, Halfords socket set, decent screwdrivers, Snap-On Solus Pro...

Another vote for the Gunson E-Z-Bleed thing. Whoever came up with the simple idea of using a spare tyre to do the brakes is a genius.

Also, A-frames. I still don't really understand how they work, but marvellous (except when both cars I own cannot be used with one). :(

Double Zero.

this is probably the finest gear you can ever get.

apparently they just let the leaves dry on the (green) plants and let it fall onto a sieve

from where it is gently shaken into just a drop of water and compressed into soap bar things.

Compare that with 'nine-bar' which is the above mentioned 00

mixed with 9 parts of whatever else is lying about including the polythene packaging.

I no longer smoke the stuff, but when I used to do it, I'd only smoke the proper 00

if I knew (personally) the bloke whose arse it had been stuffed up

to make it into the UK

edit - fuck - just re-read the original post - I may have misinterpreted

:lol::lol::lol:

Hand soap? fuck poncing about with proprietary hand cleaners I just use fairy spooge with some sugar, mind you it might work out more expensive this way. Mind you I am surrounded by beaches so I could replace the sugar with free sand...but as I wear nitrile gloves because I'm a ponce I don't often need to scrub hard anymore, see being a hypocrite means I can say this shit.

Oh and the best t-cut type paint restorer I have ever used (and I've used a 'fuck-load') I rate the old Turtlewax Colour Back stuff, so much easier to use than T-cut.

turtlewax_color_back.jpg

Pretty much any polish I can think of is better than T-cut, I detest it - annoying to apply (due to how watery it is), a pain to take off and it absolutely reeks. Funny how it still has such a "following" to this day when any old £2 stuff from the supermarket will do better. Really unpleasant stuff.

obviously thats a Polish bottle

Well DUH! Its a bottle of polish!

Fuck me I missed that one, I used to have a Polish missus too and was always cracking that joke, however I doff my cap to you sir for beating a drunkard to it. I should have said its a Polish bottle of polish but I didn't.

Pretty much any polish I can think of is better than T-cut, I detest it - annoying to apply (due to how watery it is), a pain to take off and it absolutely reeks. Funny how it still has such a "following" to this day when any old £2 stuff from the supermarket will do better. Really unpleasant stuff.

I've been using it this morning, seeing as my mate loves it so much he bought a 5 litre drum of the stuff. I can't get the stink out of my hands. It's like trying to polish a car with manky Advocaat or something.

I've just ordered some Colour Back for the Saab. If it's rubbish I'll be most put out. (if I actually get around to using it...)

Its good shit but the trick is to actually use it, I've been meaning to polish my red bmw for the last 15 months but I've erm been busy...probably, besides I don't give a fuck about driving a pink car...or at least not enough to do anything about it.

Guest Leonard Hatred

Does that Colour Back stuff fix 'pogweasel pink'? My Golf is a pretty scruffy car, I don't mind that, but I deplore the faded red paint on the rear quarters.

Does that Colour Back stuff fix 'pogweasel pink'? My Golf is a pretty scruffy car, I don't mind that, but I deplore the faded red paint on the rear quarters.

Fuck knows, I've got a bottle here on my bookshelf but its been years since I used it, all I know is that it was good shit and easy to use, T-Cut as mentioned is shit, it involves extra effort and I don't like doing extra effort when its not required. In summary:probably. HTH