Is it a big job...

binhoker668

....to remove the front wing of an '87 Mazda, and then put it back?

Smal beans to most of you guys I know, but I'd like to get rid of the dents afer that twunt drove into me last year. Just wondering if it'd be a job I could sit and do roadside outside my house - without it turning into an OMG nightmare...

It's really not a mahoosive dent scenario, but it cannae be pulled from the outside. It pisses me off! It kinda feels like a mint car of that age is instantly relegated to 'old banger' status when it gets a bump.

Just wondered!

(No sneering please).

It should be straight forwards enough, watch out for rusted up bolts which might snap and make sure you have a little cup to put all the bolts in when you remove them as you always seem to end up losing them if not.

You most likely will have to remove the front bumper and splash sheld if it has one but i doubt that you'll find too much to swear about.

Depends if it's welded or bolted on. Welded wings can be a nightmare [much drilling of spotwelds] bolt on jobbies usually not too bad, but look for the hidden bolts behind wheel arch liners and other obscure hiding places. Easiest cars to do are big old Yanks, You can get the wings off most sixties stuff in about 15 minutes............

All good advice so far; I would add though: make sure you find the connector for whatever lights/repeaters may be mounted on the wing, before you drag it off the car. You don't want to leave it hanging by a couple of flimsy wires while you search for the plug! A Jap car of that age should be bolt-on, so as long as the bolts will actually turn, and you find them all, it shouldn't be a nightmare. You'll probably find they'll be 10mm...

Good luck!