Modern vauxhall? truly shite

Bren

Did the timing chain on my mate's 2.2 signum last year, car has run ok until this weekend, it had an oil leak, and now copious amounts of oil are coming out of the exhaust.

Diagnosis? It's fooked! A 53 plate car destined for the dogman. The chains and a fuel pump, with other items cost £440 - christ knows what a garage would have charged.

My sister bought a v reg corsa (1.0 litre, 3 cyl ) last autumn. Needed timing chain (no surprise), just had new EGR valve and the EML has illuminated again!

I used to have a few vauxhalls - a royale and a senator with the brill cam in head six and a an 85' cavalier SRi with the 1.8 8 valve engine. Reliability was outstanding.

The garage wthat my dad uses told him that they get on average six vauxhalls a week with engine management issues - his verdict was they are shite.

Where did vauxhall go wrong? I'm not surprised GM nearly went to the wall considering the crapness of their offerings.

Rant over.

I have 3 Vauxhalls, 2 well over 10 years old and never had any trouble with them.

Its a massive myth about the timing chains on Vauxhalls so fitted. If the oil jet that supplies the chain is fitted with a wider-diameter part it should ensure that the chain lasts the life of the car. Its also important to change the tensioners, and the oil, very regularly.

What has an oil leak got to do with it coming out the exhaust? One's internal, the other external? How many miles has it got?

Some Vauxhalls do have sensor issues, but if you do the pedal test or paperclip test, the car will tell you what sensor is duff and you can replace it.

I'd hardly say they were all a load of rubbish.

Guest Leonard Hatred
zzzzzz old news but i haven't worked for vauxhall since last year and it was never in falkirk.

keyboard warrior.

What do you sell now?

aye and its a different doblo,was just heading home before i went to doune hillclimb,thought i might have seen you at knockhill the day,there was a wee bit of a vauxhall display on,they all started no problem at the end of the day aswell.

I'll never forget the time my old College teachers Vectra estate destroyed itself at the end of the day, and never moved again, until it was sent to the scrapyard. To be fair, he was a bit of a dick and probably deserved it.

My friend also had a 53 plate Corsa which had all sorts of issues, the EML lit up as he was selling it. But the 1.0 Corsa someone else owned, never had an issue. Apart from being a 1.0 Corsa.

aye and its a different doblo,was just heading home before i went to doune hillclimb,thought i might have seen you at knockhill the day,there was a wee bit of a vauxhall display on,they all started no problem at the end of the day aswell.

Sadly I couldnt go today, we had viewers booked for the house sale and I also had to catch up on jobs on the cars - way way behind lol.

Was Doune a good day? I'm sure the owner of the local garage I use takes his red V8 converted MG soft-top to these events.

My sister bought a v reg corsa (1.0 litre, 3 cyl ) last autumn. Needed timing chain (no surprise), just had new EGR valve and the EML has illuminated again!

Rant over.

Right with you on that one. I mean imagine buying a ten/eleven year old car and having to pay £87 for a timing chain kit and forty odd rips for the EGR.

I have to agree on this... Mk3 cavalier / calibra were the last good vauxhalls... I've had everything from a '64 Victor to an 01 Vectra SRi and everything up to about 95 was great, after that - utterly shite.

My P reg corsa 1.2 was plagued with engine management woes. i had it plugged in to the diagnostic machine and it lit up like a christmas tree with all the faults. This on a 3 year old 20,000 mile car.

X reg Vectra SRi LPG - head gasket went one month into ownership. had the car fixed at a cost of £450, the next day the wiring loom went on fire and it dissappeared in a sea of flames

In fairness the N reg TD vectra I had last year as a £300 turdmobile was actually alright for what it was, the gearbox exploded, but it did have 230k on the clock.

before that I'd had no complaints about any of the cavaliers, astras, vivas, calibras or victors I'd had. its hard to see how they could have got it so badly wrong from the high of the mk2 and 3 cav.

I had a Carlton GSi 24v auto for exactly 12 months (and about 30k miles) and other than one radiator hose going, brake pads and tyres it was utterly reliable. Nice car, too, other than having GM sneeze-o-matic steering. I'd have a 24v Senator if one came along at rightish money.

The FWD stuff is utter crap.

I think there's an element of truth in what you say there Wafers. I wouldn't say (as some others have) that all stuff past the Mk3 Cavalier is crud though, but sensor problems do seem to plague modern Vauxhalls. Having said that I'd put Merc's on the same level and they cost far more money.

Not had a badly unreliable Vauxhall in a while, in fact the last one was a Vectra C 1.9CDTi which was rubbish but (as I've tw@tted on about for far too much previously) the Mk4 Astra for example is a great car.