WOT HAVE I BOUGHT? OMactualG- its a WolzCRAB!

Lankytim

I got it on Monday! I have more pics that I hope to lob up on Sunday. Today Mr B popped round and very kindly lent me his Hydragas pump so the 'crab is now safely suspended at its correct height instead of dragging its crabby ass on the ground. Ta Mr B!

Sorry chaps, no pics of yet as ive been busy pottering about at Longbridge and visting my parents e.t.c. I did manage to prod a hole at the rear end of the passenger side sill which will need a dose of MIG action. Welding is gonna be part for the course for an old stager like this I suppose.

I found time to try and get the clutch working too- The slave cyl has a weep/leak and was pretty gunked up inside. Typically for me I rounded off the bleed nipple, no problem as I have a spare (bleed) nipple. Wind that in and strip the thread off the inside of the slave cylinder :roll: . Sometimes I feel like an automotive chuckle brother. Does anyone know to a cheapo slave cyl knocking about?

On the plus side with the slave cyl removed the clutch release arm does "feel" ok with a little free play. It does feel connected to something, and not flapping about like somethings collapsed or broken internally. I'm hoping that with a new cylinder on and a good bleed there will be enough travel to actually clear the clutch.

Its gonna be more like 6pm as I have to pick the little one up from the grandparents, is that OK?

BTW, heres a pic of the mullered slave cyl (Mrs Lankytim cunningly sent the pic to my email address, soz for CRAP quality)

IMAG0280.jpg

Found this pic too.. woo!

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5792&g2_serialNumber=3

Sorry chaps, no pics of yet as ive been busy pottering about at Longbridge

You throwing those MG6s together then Tim?

Not quite, although I did see a pair of MG6's... not sure i'f I like them TBH but look OK enough I suppose. I was disappointed by the lack of Austin Rover logos on underbonnet plastics too.

Wow, thanks for that MrB! I really must sort out my photo-uploading. Its getting a bit of a pain.

Just come off the phone to a nice fella from the KrabKlub who has agreed to flog me a new slave cyl for £30, fingers crossed that will get the crusty crab back in action and will allow me sort out its various problems and get it motd. Apparently the green engine and box mean its a reconned MOD unit and has a special extra low compression ratio, 6.1-1 or thereabouts instead of 9-1. This was to allow the use of whatever local fuel was available, e.g 3* petrol in eastern Europe or K.F.C mayonnaise in Stoke on Trent. This also means it will run GR9 on petrol contaminated with diesel, which I can get an almost limitless supply of for free (or I used to, i'll have to check)

I also found out that rear arches need to be cut from a donor car as they are NLA. I think these are repairable though....

The paintowork is a bit beyond mopping back to life. Its had a dodgy respray at some point which is flaking off in various areas. It really needs a proper respray, which it won't be getting as that costs MONEY.

Eddy, I won't be swapping that plates, as i'm a scrubber and can't afford to, plus I agree they do match the general condition of the car perfectly- they have to stay!

Dan- The best way to sort all a cars problems is to use it every day and fix them one by one. I think it would be ideal for my daily commute. Can't wait to park it next to the bosses Porsche!

Jeepers Tim, that's a right royal bargain. Personally I reckon it looks just right as it is so just as well you CBA spending money getting it resprayed. Look forward to seeing/hearing how you progress with that old hunny.

Nail some sheets of plywood over the front windows of your house, wear a threadbare pullover, develop a BO problem and start smoking roll-ups...

SORTED.

EDIT: I *may* have a workshop manual or two for a crab, if you need one.