deleted

scooters

That made excellent reading, nice one.

How bizarre that my Mums slightly older C3 on a 55 plate also has a blown fuse rendering the windscreen washers useless! It also has quarter windows, which I always thought were pretty unusual on a new car. Apparently we nearly bought a Xsara Picasso back in 2001, but ultimately kept our Impreza GL for another two years. If I did ever end up with one of these, it would have to be one sporting the non body coloured (or tinted) seats, when we had our old C3, the blue seats were really quite disgusting.

Can't be arsed to read that.

Owned one, here is all you need to know:

FUCKING DEATH-TRAPS.

You can have all the airbags you like but if you don't have any brakelights, eventually you will get arse-ended by something heavy.

After replacing the design-flawed brake light switch under the dash (a job for chinese contortionists) for the 5th or 6th or 7th time we sold it.

Maybe a clever package, but idiocy like that consigns it to Horrors of History.

Oh and exceed 60mph or 2500rpm and they drink like ollie reed.

...Last year I drove a hired Renner Megane Scenic Tdi for a month and despite being the more expensive car with more toys and a more powerful engine the 1.6 Picasso is a MUCH more engaging car to drive...

Because, where it matters, the mobile egg is a Peugeot 306. The Scenic is... well, a Megane... :?

weren't they a copyact of the Renault Megane Scenic which was the first of the breed?

The early Megane Scenics all seem to fall apart though wereas my impression is that the Xsara Picasso is a bit tougher.

A 406 estate is a better car IMHO but mums seem to prefer their mini MPVs. I think it's the higher driving position and shorter body (easier to park)

The Berlingo mutispace is also better

Drove a rental one for a bit, couldn't get over the fact it had no rev counter - the diesel engine was quiet and it was fairly well-soundproofed, so it was pretty easy to be in the wrong gear. It wasn't a huge problem or anything, but I believe it was the very top-spec model and I just felt it was a bit of a dumb omission. It was fairly comfortable, felt a bit cheap and nasty, but it probably didn't cost much I suppose. I wasn't massively fond of it, I'd have preferred some kind of converted commercial van type effort - Mazda E2000 or something.

Can't think of many cars I'd want to own less than a used MPV though, just imagining all the dribbled-on jelly babies and biscuit crumbs makes me shudder. A lot of people carry kids in their cars, but when it's an MPV they seem much more happy to let them spill their dilute apple drink all over the joint. If I'd had a fun-size Mars bar in the back of my dad's Sierra, he'd have probably beaten me to within an inch of my life.

Nice write up.

For some reason, when the Picasso came out, I went to Citroen Birmingham to test drive one. That was in 2000, so I would have been 22! Despite this, a bored salesman threw me the key, told me where it was parked and off I went. That was a HDi. Can't remember a lot about it, but I did give it a good thrashing.

Is there some kind of weird shit going on with the headlight switchage on these? I see loads of them driving around with just sidelights and foglights on, and would assume that the usual bloaty women that drive them aren't trying to show off that they have £50 worth of useless lights nailed in the bottom of the front bumper.

Ahem

Prairie87_090818_skrotsep09.jpg

I know the picasso wasn't the first mpv - I was referring to the horrible egg shape - one of the first popular egg shaped cars that seem to be the fvcking horrible standard these days....

the only reason why the picasso makes sense IMHO is that a/ its cheap and b/ its cheap that is if you have to lug kids around. Mums do seem to like the height - I didn't really apprecicate this until I tried to load the wee ones into my CX and knelt in a dog turd. The horrible car seats you have to use these days are designed to give you a slipped disc as you hyperextend to put the kid in the seat.

the good news is my wife seems to like it which means I will be able to get away with buying her one - my neghbour's wife likes big Audi 4x4s - you could buy 40 10 year old Picassos for the price of one of those so I'm not complaining!

FUCKING DEATH-TRAPS.

You can have all the airbags you like but if you don't have any brakelights, eventually you will get arse-ended by something heavy.

After replacing the design-flawed brake light switch under the dash (a job for chinese contortionists) for the 5th or 6th or 7th time we sold it.

was it not a picasso that that family of 5 were killed in on the M6 a few years back - remember it was round J16 - the nasty bit - Portugese truck driver went down for it.....mind you if an HGV rear ends you.....well.....

I'll reiterate - it can do as good as you like in a crash test - but what is more likely to get smacked up the arse? A tinfoil ancient relic with working brake lights or a Picasso without?

Google for picasso brake light problems - you'll find it to be frighteningly common.

I like how the "driving it into a big wall" test remains the staple NCAP measure, as if everyone who owns a car is suicidal/blind.

Picassos are alright....ive sold bucket loads of them over the years and i personally ive never had anybody come back to me with problems with the rear brake lights. Yep not the best to drive, yep not the best finished inside either....but they are more practical than they at first appear..that rear suspenson design that first saw sevice in the pug 305 estate...giving a very square and large bootspace, and the height of the seating making very them a popular choice for oldies to get in and out of - and getting kids out of child seats etc etc.....the mechanics are pretty basic psa stuff etc etc...and as is the usual Psa norm even the earliest battle scared ones which would date from w plates dont suffer from rot so the Picasso shall be a familiar sight on the roads for quite a while yet.

dad's Sierra

If your mum had a Sierra you could have probably used it as a toilet if you had wanted.

It's not the MPVs that are the problem...

:lol:

Mrs thestag got a new one back in 2001. We already had a 2 year old son when she treated me to twin sons - we found out what was causing that and safe to say that the chair has now been burnt so no more kids ;)

Anyway 2 year old was in one of those hulking great big fuck off child seats that is even wider than the Mother in Law's arse (and it was one of the narrowest on the market at the time, the seat that is rather than her arse which I really don't want to think about) which left no room for the pair of rockatots to fit besides it. After months of hunting we found that the picasso and big Merc estates were the only cars with 3 full width seats across the back. We didn't want death trap Voyagers and the ford galaxy things didn't have three big enough seats in a single row which meant using one of the 3rd row seats in the boot and then no where to put double buggy etc etc, the ford was also slow and thirsty oh and expensive. So back to the Picasso and the Merc, the merc sadly was a lot out of my price range so a new picasso 1.8LX was picked up for IIRC a Vanessa over 10k. Mrs thestag is ruthless when it comes to buying cars and often leaves salesmen sobbing. :P

I must say that it wasn't a bad car and served us well for nearly 8 years - it was sold when mrs thestag got herself a c4 grand picasso 1.6hdi thing - and I like that bastard too :oops: anyway.

- I drove the thing all over europe but never got less than 30 mpg out of it. so it was reasonably economical. I do tend to drive with my lead boots on :P

- It would bowl along the motorways happily at 80-85mph with loads to spare so it had a reasonable turn of speed.

- The boot area was huge, which was useful as double buggies are also huge and one of those babies would lie flat on the boot floor.

- Even though the interior was used as a toilet by the kids, the Polish lads up at Asdas could get it looking like new in as long as it took Mrs thestag to do her weekly supermarket dash.

negativesFreefall French car depreciation :evil:

stoopid plastic tables that kept breaking off the back of the front seats :roll:

handling was ok but you could not hurry it around a roundabout without everyone stopping and staring at you :lol:

The boot area was not tall because of the egg shape the tailgate intruded quite a lot into the boot area.

All in all I would say good useable family car and did exactly what we wanted of it. never let us down, never had problems with the brake lights :wink: even though mrs thestag managed to put a dent in every single panel :( ! She is well on her way to trashing the newer c4 :evil: !!!! That is boiling my piss because she moans like hell at me spending a couple of grand on my daily driver, yet spunks 11.5k on a year old motor and then drives like a ram raider.

We sold her 51 plate xsara picasso 2 years ago for £700 to a mate of mine who runs a body shop. He sorted out the exterior and passed it on for £1500ish. I am not sure there was much money in it for him as there were a lot of dents on it. Citroen offered her £50 for it as a trade in and I was so glad I was there to see her face. Anyway she got her own back when negotiating for the c4

I would say that they are good shite 8)

Had a 2001 Y plate one for 5 years and my brother still has it now with 100k on the clock.

It has never had a brake light problem in 10 years and all that has been replaced other than general service items is 2 CV joints.

It's an HDi and never seemed to drop below 44mpg either even when doing 75-80 fully loaded. I'd have another tomorrow.

I'm going to google the brake light issue....

dad's Sierra

If your mum had a Sierra you could have probably used it as a toilet if you had wanted.

It's not the MPVs that are the problem...

:lol:

That is boiling my piss because she moans like hell at me spending a couple of grand on my daily driver, yet spunks 11.5k on a year old motor and then drives like a ram raider.

8)

Aye! I can relate to that!!!!!!

FUCKING DEATH-TRAPS.

was it not a picasso that that family of 5 were killed in on the M6 a few years back - remember it was round J16 - the nasty bit - Portugese truck driver went down for it.....mind you if an HGV rear ends you.....well.....

No, it was a Toyota...

There are a few brake light probs on google but most seem to say the brake light is stuck on??

Guest Leonard Hatred

Not only are they dangerous, they're usually driven by utter mongs.

I think were quite popular with pog's obese invalid pals, so that might be why.

We've got one at work, it initially lasted about 2 days before oil started pissing out of the dipstick hole (obviously pushing the dipstick out at the same time) causing quite a mess under the bonnet. How did my colleagues repair it? Some white tape and cable ties to hold the dipstick in permanently, of course.

I've driven it a couple of times, I dont mind it although seem to remember it having very light steering? Atleast compared to our works 106 diesel..