Can a 2002 Renault L****a 2.2 diesel turn vegetarian?

Luxobarges_Are_Us

A friend of mine owns one of the above hate-filled car-shaped things. She actually likes it- even going as far as to say that it's been "pretty reliable". However, she is alarmed by rising diesel costs and is thinking of getting something smaller or giving up the concept of a "regular" car altogether and just buying something old and interesting (OMG WOMAN SHITEIST CHAOS) to use once in a blue moon- she lives in Prague where the public transport system is excellent.

I suggested that it could be worth investigating chucking some veggie oil in the tank. Is it an avenue worth exploring, or are we talking about an unfriendly engine whose tiny life expectancy will be further shrunk by the "green fuel"?

Christ, I'd be wary enough of running it on diesel.

/predictable modern renault comment

yes...maybe a veg oil recommendation would be a good idea because it 'd mean she would be rid of the heap in a quicker fashion! However, I guess there's a good chance that she will realise I did it on purpose...and won't speak to me again.... :evil:

If the car had an older type diesel engine then veg would be a possibilty. However it is unreliable enough putting pure diesel in the tank, never mind veg.

If cheap diesel motoring is needed look for an XUD engined citroen instead.

Guest Leonard Hatred

The chemicals involved in biodiesel production are nasty, caustic soda and methoxide can potentially cause nerve, liver and kidney damage and blindness

The way to go is buy an older car with a rotary or in-line injection pump and feed it all the filtered lard you want.

If she lives in Prague then surely a Skoda or Tatra is the way to go.

For diesel economy, transplant an aircooled Tatra V12 diesel :D

Her tastes (not unlike mine) are too refined to contemplate ownership of an old-school Skoda, and Tatras are insanely expensive...You're talking 4 grand for a somewhat scruffy 613, and it can easily get into 5 figures for a top-spec model in near-excellent condition.