Driving Licence Photo Update

Negative Creep

Sent my licence off recently to get the name and address changed. Incredibly it actually got there by 2nd class post. Except they sent it back saying my photo has expired and I must update it. Checking the front of my licence and it did indeed run out on 13-02-11 (I've been driving since December 01 but I guess that must have been when I applied for my provisional.

So by law you must update your picture every 10 years or face a £1000 fine. Seems even if you don't bother if you ever move they'll get you when you change the address. I wouldn't mind so much except you have to pay them £20 to switch it over!! Did anyone else know about this?

I had renew my driving licence last month, I've only been driving since around late '04. I got sent a letter by the DVLA with a form I had to fill in around Early January. I thought about sending the form with a passport photo but decided in the end to do everything by Post Office. I had to go in a photobooth, have my photo taken, get documents checked and use this really stange signature thing where I had to sign a pad, the signature would come up on screen, looked pretty wonkey :?

It was all pretty painless really, I only got charged something like £4 on top of the £20 to have a photo and have docs checked and sent. I got my new licence within a week.

I'm with you on the whole "it's a total arseache getting passport photos done" thing, and it costs five bloody quid in the blur-o-matic Tesco booths.

I actually took my own. Used my 12mp phone camera, stood in front of a decently lit patch of neutrally coloured wall, cropped it to passport photo size on photoshop and printed it on photo paper. DVLA seem more than happy.

I got the UPDATE YOUR LICENSE PHOTO NOW YOU BASTARD letter in January, which coincided nicely with totally mislaying the damn thing anyway. I have a feeling it could be in a car that went to the block a few months ago. Anyway, net result is that updating my photo for £20 is no worse than having to fork out for a replacement license.

Mine's out of date too but it's not 10 years old the robbing gits. :(

(well it was out of date last July and still is...) I'm due a points clearance so didn't rush to update it.

They must have had a right laugh when they dreamt that up, money for nothing.

I recently had to renew my licence. I did it at the local post office, they took my pic for me, filled in the forms and sent it to the DVLA via some sort of amazing internal mail system. It was really easy! Pain that you have to do it at all though.

BTW, if you fail to renew your licence the DVLA will end up suspending it and you end up with a police marker on your car, you'll get pulled over by the cops and have the car taken off you. Its happened alot apparently!

from the horses (arse) mouth

it is NOT the licence that expires but the photo - to add to tim you get a length of time before they take it off you.........first

the licence is still valid until the date on the back (your 70th birthday)

its just so the cop that pulls you 2 days after his inception knows who hes talking to........

I keep meaning to do this. Considering my licence gets 'checked' very regularly by people who are supposed to know about these things, I'm amazed I haven't been pulled up for it. Besides I'm kinda semi-waiting for a house move anyway; forking out to the DVLA twice in one year's gonna hurt.

Grrr. I had to chop in my original paper licence this month after 24 years, otherwise they'd have made me retake my motorbike test. I knew it was a slippery slope.

I'll also miss the looks I used to get from Europcar at Hamburg airport when I shook the lacy bits of paper licence out of the little bag they lived in :twisted:

The photo on my Mum's licence disappeared, by that I mean it faded completely away in a few months of issue. The DVLNI mongs wanted her to pay for a new one. A phone call to Dr Paisley's office soon changed their minds!

I don't quite see the point of the new convenient plastic license when you are also required to carry the paper part around with you as well.

On a bit of a tangent, I always carry my MOT & insurance docs with me in the car.

I've done this since my last produce sometime in the last century when I was given to understand that the plod would often not write you up if they had to do it there & then as opposed to sending you off with a produce.

Now though with everything computerized, is there any point?

As I see it, I may as well just stuff both in the back of a drawer or file under 'bin' since I don't even need them to get tax.

Have I got this around my neck?