Anyone fancy a Saab? £250 **Reduced**

rawy

Hi All,

**Reduced to £250**

Having a clearout after selling my modern & buying a Pug 205 Dizzler, Had this saab in the garage for a few months & to be honest it'd be best used rather than going to waste.

1998 Saab 900 3dr Black

2.0 S Manual

Black Leather Interior

Alloys

2 New Tyres & Springs recently

Been stored in garage for the last 6 months

Can't remember mileage but is over 100k

Good workhorse. Ideal cheap runabout

£250

Car near Preston, Lancs

Call 0773 8455868 for details

94023e124689397.jpg 57a1f0124689419.jpg 615036124689438.jpg

Cheers

Graham

These Saabs seem to go for so little money at the mo. I am considering getting a convertible one to hoon around in for for the summer months, even if it will make me look like a poof.

The problem is they are so cheap, i am afraid of buying one as I worry they are gash. How much Vectra are they? I would have thought that would be a good thing for an old banger as parts will be plentiful and easy to fix or are the mechanicals Saab?

Soz for the hijack but consider it a free bump.

The 900s are more Cav than Vectra - the 9-3s got more Vectra bits. 900s aren't a bad motor - not particularly exciting, but not a great deal goes wrong with them apart from gearboxes. Engines seem to last longer than later models, and don't have as many breather-related issues. Turbos are fugging quick, but none handle particularly well and they're not the most economical cars on the road. Very comfy though.

I had this one for a couple of years, very reliable, and a great motorway cruiser. Gearboxes are a little fragile, and timing chains can rattle but pretty good all round. However they are pretty dull.

Image069.jpg

The convertibles suffer from horrendous scuttle shake, we had 4 of them at a company I worked at years ago. Was it James May who said that they seemed like they were hinged in the middle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

**Reduced to £250**

Having a clearout after selling my modern & buying a Pug 205 Dizzler, Had this saab in the garage for a few months & to be honest it'd be best used rather than going to waste.

1998 Saab 900 3dr Black

2.0 S Manual

Black Leather Interior

Alloys

2 New Tyres & Springs recently

Been stored in garage for the last 6 months

Can't remember mileage but is over 100k

Good workhorse. Ideal cheap runabout

£250

Car near Preston, Lancs

Call 0773 8455868 for details

94023e124689397.jpg 57a1f0124689419.jpg 615036124689438.jpg

Cheers

Graham

That sounds quite bargainous...It's not exactly my dream car, but it could be a good compromise while I sort myself out and it'd keep my NCD alive. Plus I NEED leather seats (as I tend to adorn my car seats with copious amounts of energy drinks, cola, gummy bears etc).

I presume it comes without an MOT- did it fail the last test, or did you just park it and it ran out while in the garage?

Any known faults?

The only thing to really worry about on them is the steering rack, which is mounted on to the firewall, and happily "seperates", which isn't ideal. elkparts iirc do a strengthening kit, which tightens up the handling all round if you like spending money. Chain driven, so as long as that's not too rattly and the steering rack's still attached, bargain.

I love them, but they're quite thirsty in my experience.

That sounds quite bargainous...It's not exactly my dream car, but it could be a good compromise while I sort myself out and it'd keep my NCD alive. Plus I NEED leather seats (as I tend to adorn my car seats with copious amounts of energy drinks, cola, gummy bears etc).

I presume it comes without an MOT- did it fail the last test, or did you just park it and it ran out while in the garage?

Any known faults?

Yeah the MOT ran out a last week in the garage, Its not been used for about 6 months, but has no known faults as it was driven to a friends yard for storage last Tuesday as I needed the garage space.

I haven't had it re-tested but can't see any issues, however due to it having no MOT I can't really ask £350 for it. If no-one is interested I'll sell the interior & everything then weigh it in.

Give me a buzz if you want to discuss - 0773 8455868

Cheers

Graham

The only thing to really worry about on them is the steering rack, which is mounted on to the firewall, and happily "seperates", which isn't ideal. elkparts iirc do a strengthening kit, which tightens up the handling all round if you like spending money. Chain driven, so as long as that's not too rattly and the steering rack's still attached, bargain.

I thought the steering rack problem was more on the later 9-3's & especially diesels.

Its not too thirsty but not as good as a pug diesel!

Rawy

I thought the steering rack problem was more on the later 9-3's & especially diesels.

Rawy

Nah, it's identical on the ng900. The diesels suffer worst purely cos of the weight of the big izuzu lump.

http://www.saab9-3bulkhead.com/

Rawy

Nah, it's identical on the ng900. The diesels suffer worst purely cos of the weight of the big izuzu lump.

http://www.saab9-3bulkhead.com/

I'm not in England right now, but I'll get there on the 16th or 17th, and, assuming you can keep hold of it for another 10-12 days, I'm definitely up for having a look. I'll give you a ring this weekend.

That shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers

Rawy

I adore Saabs and so overlooked its great ( well maybe not if you are trying to flog one! )

However I recently did this to my 9-5 Aeros poor piston.....

198038_10150118215859471_695154470_6717722_6953785_n.jpg

The cost of a set of 4 new pistons was too horrific to face!

These Saabs seem to go for so little money at the mo. I am considering getting a convertible one to hoon around in for for the summer months, even if it will make me look like a poof.

The problem is they are so cheap, i am afraid of buying one as I worry they are gash. How much Vectra are they? I would have thought that would be a good thing for an old banger as parts will be plentiful and easy to fix or are the mechanicals Saab?

I've been using a 97 900 S convertible since last summer & apart from being quite sluggish (you really have to drive it which I'm not accustomed to doing) & using a fair amount of fuel without giving too much back, I have to say it's been very reliable! Only problem I've had (touchwood) was a broken clutch cable last October but then I seem to be prone to getting those no matter what car I'm driving!

:?