Cars with the model number in the registration plate

mk2_craig

• 2 weeks later...

The vice-chairman of our classic car club over here still has UK plates on his black X5. Take a guess how they begin... :mrgreen: If you get the model name or number on your car over here, it's either coincidence or corruption, as numbers are (supposedly) issued in simple sequence. I did see DAF45, which would have been great on a facelifted Leyland Roadrunner; sadly it was on a crappy old Golf. Don't think I've seen an actual DAF car over here, which means the chances of (1995-ish issued) 33, 44, 55 and 66 turning up on the correct models are pretty damn slim!

Guest Leonard Hatred

I can't think of anything more despicable than an ex-pat vice chairman of a classic car club who drives a black BMW X5 with X5 xxx numberplates.

• 2 years later...

I like to think there's an Audi or BMW out there with BE11 END as its number.

I looked up a load of moderately rude registration numbers a few years ago. Obvious things like KN08HED or BE11END are filtered out but I got quite a few results with things like J4KOF and J1SMS. Without exception they were on Audis, BMWs and entry-level Mercedes.

Guilty secret: Having seen lots of quite lame vanity plates on the usual German motorway warriors (A4xxx, MBZ xxxx, Bxx0XTR, KN08 BMW etc) I put this on my beige Yeti, for amusement value:

9107573427_27b841da4d_z.jpg
Skoda Yeti by Skizzer, on Flickr

It does raise a laugh sometimes, and the occasional cameraphone, but I suspect I probably just look like what I was supposed to be taking the piss out of.  Opinions welcome either way.

Seen myself a fair few Rover 600s/800s with 620/623/820/825/827 in thier plates, but these I reckon were coincidental rather than intentional. There are one or two Rover enthusiasts with model numbers intentionally put in, especially if they end with 'ROV'. The best number I've seen, which was probably a private plate was in a picture of a LWB Rover 75 V6 driving past K-gate wearing the plate 'MG52ROV'. Apparently the 75 was used to ferry VIPs in, around the Rover plant.

EDIT: I found a pic, but not the one I was talking about:

KIF_2800.JPG

• 3 months later...