Cars with the model number in the registration plate

mk2_craig

One of my old ones:

Photo-0028.jpg

10/10 :) Probably rare to see pre-2001 stuff with matching numbers that aren't DVLA select marks. But back in the 1980s DVLA didn't sell off the marks so there would have been the odd BMW for example (coincidentally or otherwise) gaining a 325, 535 etc number. Any advance?

There are a few here on Polos as well, PO10 FSM being one I can think of which belongs to a local driving school.

There was a local dealer to me offering a "free" PO10 -plate with your initials as the letters with every new Polo last year. Assuming they were available, so Normal Oliver Bryan and Frank Ulrick Kane are shit out of luck according to DVLA guidelines.

It'll come as no surprise that I dream of owning REN 025 if I ever win the pools!! :lol: Many years ago, I had a friend who had a Relent Scimitar GTE, and the reg number it had from new ended GTE, which I thought was pretty cool. At about the same time, I used to see a Ferrari 308 GTB in York, with the reg number 308 GTB. 8)

Ian Skelly's when I worked there had a few very good plates.

AUD1, VW1 and GT1. They were after "S8" for a while.

Mercedes-Benz in London used to try and get the buyers initials on the plate back in the '60s if they could manage it. I think this practise stopped after Max Bygraves bought a new Merc and drove out with "MB 1". That must have been probably the biggest facepalm moment of the '60s for Mercedes.

Almost bought this 940 Wentworth in October 2008 as a foil for The Volvo:

000thyar

Looks good in the photo, but it was quite scruffy in real life and would have needed a full set of tyres immediately. It went well, though.

Surprisingly, it's still taxed, but is most likely being used as a builder's hack or towing barge :(

Ian Skelly's when I worked there had a few very good plates.

AUD1, VW1 and GT1. They were after "S8" for a while.

Mercedes-Benz in London used to try and get the buyers initials on the plate back in the '60s if they could manage it. I think this practise stopped after Max Bygraves bought a new Merc and drove out with "MB 1". That must have been probably the biggest facepalm moment of the '60s for Mercedes.

Particularly when you see what he then put it on!

mb1.jpg

My mother bought a blue VW Golf 1.3 CL (ELV234Y) from the Ian Skelly Centre in Liverpool in 1982. With great ceremony, the salesman offered my brother and I (we were tiny kids) a book signed by Kenny Dalglish when we all went to pick the car up. We didn't follow football so neither of us had heard of him. The salesman gave us an Easter egg each instead; my father was appalled.

30 or so years ago I bought a Peugeot 504 estate -purely because of the registration -1 BAR. I quickly sold the plate (for around 50 times the cars value ) to a High Court Judge, -& made the downpayment on my first house.

My father- beyond dubious when I initially laid out the plan (needed part of the purchase finance) was totally pole-axed. He never doubted me again -even some of my daftest decisions.

30 or so years ago I bought a Peugeot 504 estate -purely because of the registration -1 BAR. I quickly sold the plate (for around 50 times the cars value ) to a High Court Judge, -& made the downpayment on my first house.

Nice number, has a real atmospheric feeling to it ;)

Not QUITE on the theme, but the owner of the 1st garage I worked in (Bideford motors, who were Audi/VW dealers) had HUN 1 N as the number on his Audi 100. The "UN" suffix was issued to cars registered in north Devon, so it would have been issued to a garage somewhere in the area anyway. That said, a good one for the owner of a German car dealership!