Nibbler or Shear

AXrescuer

For sheets of flat new steel a nibbler is OK, but they are no good to use on the vehicle at all. For cutting out rot there is really no substitute to an angle grinder with a proper (1mm) slitting disk in. I've tried air grinders, air shears and air hacksaws and they are all slow going in comparison.

The air hacksaw was by far the best of the lot, and they do have other uses too. I'd still reach for the grinder in 99% of cases.

My favoirite body-chopping tool is the angle grinder with those supa fine 1mm discs in, those things are class. In fact I think I only use that and some tin snips for all chopping duties. I've got one of those 'Monodex' hand nibblaz but i never use it!!! So i supose out the two options i'd go for the shears.

Cheers, I'll go with the shears I think. Me and grinders don't get on when cutting, had three fly apart

on me, so no desire to experience that again!

Grinders are by far the kings of cutting metal, get some goggles or a face shield and thick gloves on and you are pretty much indestructible as far as 1mm disks are concerned, unless you really try to cut your hand off. They are less fragile than you think (I've probably gone through 100 of them without shattering a single one). My heavy handed mate has smashed a few but because they are fibre reinforced they don't throw any real shrapnel off when you do.

My favoirite body-chopping tool is the angle grinder with those supa fine 1mm discs in, those things are class. In fact I think I only use that and some tin snips for all chopping duties. I've got one of those 'Monodex' hand nibblaz but i never use it!!! So i supose out the two options i'd go for the shears.

Aren't they called slitting discs or something? I've been using ridiculously thick discs without knowledge of these, which basically takes half of what you're cutting with it. :oops:

edit: yes they are called that. :)

Guest Leonard Hatred
I must employ a bad grinder technique then cos the last cutting disc I used (Silverline) shattered and left me with a cut forehead and left ear!

That's because Silverline is fuggin shit.

Another vote for slitting discs here, get them from a welding supplies place for about 90p each. Regular tool suppliers seem to still think of them as new technology and price them accordingly.

A quick word of warning though, I've let myself get into the bad habit of changing grinder discs/tools without using the supplied pin spanner. The direction of rotation means that they tighten themselves up in use.

Where slitting discs are very thin they can end up overtightening themselves if you do this. I ended up breaking the locking mech on the (cheap) grinder trying to remove one that had done this :oops:

On the plus side I could still get the cup brush on over the top so now spend a lot less time messing abut changing tools :twisted:

The silverline ones are toss - false economy. You can get them from screwfix at about a fiver for 10 but there is usually a bloke at a show selling good quality ones (I forget the name) in boxes of 50 for about £20, and they are really good and last about 5 times as long as a silverline one. You've got to be a bit gentle with them all, don't try and make them dig in like you would have to with a "cutting" disk that is 3mm wide.

Me and a mate made this out of a stainless vivaro exhaust and only used one and a half disks:

IMG_1374.JPG

There must be 15 cuts or perhaps more?