Help me out here - BUY MY SHITE (Cavalier)

Mr_Bo11ox

Your guess is as good as mine cavette! If you fancy taking it on PM me an offer, somewhere between 225 (asking price with potentially knackered engine) and 500 or so (asking price when all up and running). All efforts to sell it so far have achieved the square root of jack shit, apart from costing me £25 in fruitless eBay fees and a bit of time while a slovakian tyre kicker looked it over ("NO CHEAP?") so bear that in mind.

If my Audi were to inexplicably explode i'd be all over this. Its such a bargain!

"There are reports coming in of an explosion in Staffordshire this evening. An Audi is said to be destroyed, a car described as a Worrserlly is described as scorched. Police are keen to speak to the owner of a red Cavalier seen hooning away at high speed with maniacal laughter emanating from inside."

Balls. I think that makes it too dear now for it to be worth me coming down to get it once i pay for the trip then tax it etc. i was strangely hoping you wouldnt fix it so i could get it home courtesy of the RAC then have a tinker...

realistically im looking at at least £150 to get my ass down there and bring it back up.. plus another hundred notes in rent for the window, makes what is a cheap car a dear one for me. If it was nearer here i'd have it in a shot, it looks a barg. :( oh well, I'll get back on my shite hunt....

Cheers Trig, TBH I have sort of given up trying to sell this for the moment, I have not had a single sniff of interest off any of the adverts I put up for it anywhere. Absolutley nothing. A couple of folk have expressed a token interest in it if sold 'with engine problems' including some slovakian nutcase who has rung me half a dozen times offering various figures between £160 and £200, all of which I turned down. When I told him i'd sorted the engine he sounded gutted.

Its most annoying as I think its a nice car myself. I guess the cost of juice goes heavily against it now, its a cheap car but not necessarily cheap transport. I am half tempted to put it on the road myself for a while, and worry about flogging it another time. Theres a couple of non-MOT fail crusty bits underneath which I think I might attend to, and pump its ass full of waxoyl with my new toy (compressor and wax injection gun). Then it really will be 100%.

Know how you feel Mr. Bx. I was amazed no-one took me up on the BMW for something close to £600. I ended up buying a new gearbox oil cooler rad for it in the end - there was a pin-hole in the feeder pipe which was causing the leak I mentioned. Definitely a decent earner for someone I would have thought. I know I'm right as a chap who did a bit of work for me once (admittedly he knew the car) offered me £850 for it but couldn't collect it until end May. I needed to shoot back east so had to decline; drove it back into the garage and will probably start using it again when I get back. The Rover is great but can't shift things around like the Touring.

I'll probably stick it on Autotrader when the Jag comes back and needs the garage.

The two factors I can see that are probably slowing the sale down are: 1) RFL. Sadly the (mostly) moronic buying public are actually more interested in three weeks tax on a nail than buying a decent car like this and having to go to Crewe & Nantwich district Post Office and actually tax it to drive it home. 2) Automaticness. This really shouldn't be a problem as the car is very likely not suited to some tracksuit clad twerp to smoke round his estate uninsured in until the inevitable appearance on Road Wars one night. Its more suited to some elderly gent who had one of these back in the day and doesn't want to buy a brand new car, however it's waiting for that right person to come along-which I'm sure they will.

The two factors I can see that are probably slowing the sale down are: 1) RFL. Sadly the (mostly) moronic buying public are actually more interested in three weeks tax on a nail than buying a decent car like this and having to go to Crewe & Nantwich district Post Office and actually tax it to drive it home.

but the aversion to untaxed cars is not illogical. I know bol's is a fine example but, on your average shitter, how are you ever going to know about that funny knock coming from the wheels once you hit 50 if you can only drive it on an industrial estate with a speed limit of 10mph?

Probably because they'll find out how bad the knock is when they're doing 81mph over the speed humps on the local estate as they're lobbing drug paraphanilia out of the window with Pat and Carl in hot pursuit and the telly commentator calling them 'muppets' and 'donuts'.

Probably because they'll find out how bad the knock is when they're doing 81mph over the speed humps on the local estate as they're lobbing drug paraphanilia out of the window with Pat and Carl in hot pursuit and the telly commentator calling them 'muppets' and 'donuts'.

Right up to the point where they're "giving it legs".

• 4 weeks later...

This old crate is back on eBay, no reserve this time. Its gotta go to make room for this Croma.

if anyone feels like offering me £200 for it please do so, as i dont have very high expectations of an actual sale being concluded via this means and its its last chance before crossing the bridge.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0693091191

I would have thought anything thats road legal and under 250 would be snapped up ver quickly. Not even had any of our eastern european friends interested? GR6 for optional insurance and the "no speak english" defence

If it was taxed it might attract more interest from discerning buyers like this, saves them bothering with insurance.

Mr_Bo1, perhaps it's too cheap? Have you thought about putting it on Autotrader for £400 then getting haggled down to £250?

Tax is the answer.

Thanks to the DOOOVLA and Dibble it's a bloody nightmare trying to get cars home without tax nowadays. The "just bought it" excuse doesn't wash anymore as Dibble's standard answer is "The computer has spotted you, so I can't let you go. I'm the traffic tax man, waddya expect?".

I tend to tax stuff, use if for a few months then advertise it with a month or two rent in the window. Much much easier to sell that way.

Well it looks like this car is going to live with Cavette!

My efforts to sell it drew a total blank, the one guy who did come to look at it was thrown off the scent by the fuggin cambelt/cover rattling and making the engine sound like the bottom end was giving up on life. My ebay 'buyer' was predictably a washout and all other avenues raised precisely zero enquiries. I am not expending any more effort to sell it (diminishing returns and all that) so Cavette is buying it for the same amount I paid to buy the car in the first place and get it home. He gets all the repairs etc for free! Good job I have a 9-5 job to fund this fuggin shite habit.