MOT Stations (Garages On The Make)

I'm lucky enough to have a decent enough local garage that MOTs my chod without keeping one eye on the profit margin \ set targets. To me the ultimate MOT place would be a council run affair with no axe to grind. Anyone fancy starting a list of council run MOT stations by borough with me? Nev over on NSJC gets his stuff MOT'd at a council run station near Halifax, and said he got an honest appraisal of his breadvan Polo there rather than a litany of spiteful fails. Not that I'm having a poke at any of our seasoned MOT testers, like.............

I made an FOIA request about the stations available in my borough (Trafford) and were told flatly that 'there were none open to the public'.

Also, if anyone wants to slag off Kwik Fit or main stealers with tales of woe, feel free.

So, our list so far is:

Trafford - 0 stations

When the Audi was tested recently it failed on rough rear bearings and nearside headlamp aim too low (among other things) Wheelbearings were a year old and I found zero roughness or play in them, headlamp aim was perfect too. Took it back without "fixing" them and it passed!

Apparently the tester hates old cars, and rips into anything over 10 years old

Also had an advisory on underside corrosion- theres no rust under there! cheeky bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Theres a council-run MOT station in Crewe, but 1) they never offer any deals or cheap prices and 2) they never answer the fucking phone, you have to go round and see if they can be arsed to do it today or not. The crack is theyre a nice bunch of old geezers though.

To be fair to MOT shops I have never ever felt like I have been given the runaround in one, I've not had a bad experience yet (well one actually, but they were closing down the following week having sold their site to a property developer, so they could afford to take the piss out of customers).

There's one in Cheshire somewhere, but I can't remember the name of the place (it'll come to me - it's Molton something or other). The yard is full of council gritters and various old council chod. I know this as my few years working for a council department led me up there a few times.

I've been using Just MOTs for the last couple of years. They seem to be fair, at leat in the Brighton one, and cheap...

Looks like they're just in the South though:

http://www.justmots.eu/

When I lived at home (Worthing-ish) I took mine to the council garage at Clapham. As above, no complaints and nice and fair.

I use Barnack MOTs next door to Motorvation (of Practical Classics fame) near Stamford, nice folks who understand old motors.

I am fortunate enough to live in an area of edinburgh that has 4 "wee man" garages, 3 MOT centres of the "wee man" type a, body shop and a Motor Factors (although pretty pants for older cars!)

This ideal situation means that the competition ensures they keep prices down and are honest...i can't gripe....

Kwif Fit on the other hand.......grrrr

Sir Tom Farmer, the founder of KwikFit has set up another chain in Edinburgh called farmer Auto Centres - so appauled is he by what Kwik Fit has become - they are brilliant - nothing is too much trouble for them. In one case they ground the wheels of a Mondeo I had to stop leaking tyres and didn't charge me because they were not sure it would fix the problem - took them an hour.

In October they put the Sherpa on a ramp to check out the exhaust - gun gum a joint, tighten the clamps and check the brake hoses - also let me have a good poke arond to check the condition - again no charge...

brilliant!

I recommend a BT Fleet service centres, They MOT their own vehicles but they also have to MOT Joe Publics cars as well and as they make no money on them they tend to be a bit fairer.

A BT service manager told me that.

If you click this link it will show you where your nearest one is. http://www.btfleet.com/garages/garages- ... neral.aspx

You can always tell the MOT station that in the event of failure you will be taking your car to another garage for repairs. This reduces the incentive to do a dubious fail.

If the council does MoTs they have to offer the service to Joe public as well. Does not mean they have to answer the phone though.

Someone mentioned the one in Cheshire........that will be Milton Green.

I use a little place just outside Bedford run by an indian fella called Jack.........proper nice man who knows his stuff. Up until last year he had an old (and v tatty) C15 van all nicely signwritten. Across the bottom of the rear door it had 'You've tried the cowboys now try the indians.....' Always made me smile anyway!

The old DOT MOT (Dept of Transport MOT) place in Sheffield (behind the bus depot on Queen's Road) re-opened a couple of years back as DOT MOT (Do Only Tests), and they're pretty good.

However, round Nottinghamshire (and worth the drive from Sheff in my opinion) are these boys:

http://www.motmax.co.uk/

Same old stuff, they only do tests, so no incentive to find work, but with these, if it fails, you don't have to pay. :shock::D

Well, that only applies to shite under 10 years old, but if your 10+ year old shite fails you only pay £25.00 of the test fee (£35.00) and pay the last tenner when you get back for a re-test. Still decent, i reckon.

I use ATS because they're only really concerned with tyres, brakes and exhausts and it's pretty easy to see if these things are knackered if they fail them.

One of the companies mentioned in this thread used to employ people who'd fill one of those house plant water spray things with oil, spray some oil around one front and one back shock absorber then tell you they were fucked and you had to have all four replaced.

Lots of councils operate them, mainly for taxi tests. I have to deal with a lot of them at work.

Some are reasonable, a lot aren't.

St. Helens have one which appears to operate on the "if it doesn't fail, I'm not doing my job" principle, as do Derby, Bradford and Wigan. Wigan council's MOT testers are, frankly, a disaster area. Pair of ex-coppers who're don't like not failing stuff, even if the failure is for the most insane reasons they can think of. As they're the only testers for Wigan taxis their word is final - even if it's utter, utter bollocks and the car would pass anywhere else in the country.

You're much better off finding a friendly tester who understands old cars than taking a chance with 90% of the councils I've been to. Problem the tester has is if he advises on something that later fails, and the test was done at the council test station, the council won't see sense if it bounces onto them and he won't keep his job.