Simple gearbox questionz

Station

I seem to always have trouble mating gearboxes to engines.

I've done FWD, 4WD and RWD and they're all the same. Apart from the being the most awkward double jointed job on the car, they also weigh a ton and lying on your back, wiggling and rotating it's mass back and forth trying to navigate the invisible force that is preventing the box from making any contact with the block. Why is this? Today I was doing a mid-engined gearbox (cough K-series, again, cough), which has two 'locating' dowels, which weren't locating at all. Only one side would sit in it's home, and bolts wouldn't go in. I forgot about turning the crankshaft pulley to make sure the splines are lined up, but jesus christ, why am I always taking two days to fit a gearbox to an engine?

Whoever thought of the panel to release the clutch on Vauxhall engines is a genius.

Luddite.

Seriously though, some drop in, some can be a right cunt. I have had 4/5 hours trying to line boxes up, and when I go for a shit and a cuppa, and come back, everything just goes together. So now I decide early on to go for a shit, therefore it takes less time......

My Golf was a pain because one of the gearbox mounts is shared with the engine, and I was steadfastly refusing to remove the engine. It took two weekends start to finish (old box off, new box on) and involved crowbars, lengths of wood, rope, two trolley jacks and a lot of swearing. The box comes out only when rotated through 90 degrees. I was doing it all by myself though.

I remember helping RR's Akku with one of his yank barges, dropping the auto transmission off it. Me, Akku, Benzboy, three jacks, lots of tea, some more wood and some carpet. That sod was heavy!

Land Rover Series boxes are great, Out through the passenger door. Fucking heavy, and imbalanced by their nature. Nowhere to jack them up, you have to support them with a rope around the parking brake drum. I have one in the back of the Land Rover right now. I can't be arsed to remove it, and now I have a pair of axles in there too!

I couldn't even move this as it was in the subframe, and I'll be buggered if I'm taking that out again. I used three lengths of rope to position it so I could actually get the clutch plate back in. I tried starting it this morning after I spent a few more hours on it, and it sounds fine now. The clutch pressure plate bolts were all totally loose before I had to take it out. :oops::oops::oops: I must've forgotten to tighten them up/check them or something ... what an idiot I am.