Your Shite, conked out

CIH

Seeing Torsten2001's new saab on the flatback reminded of my bluey breakdown. So anyone got pics of you old shite in distress ? I'll start;

BlueyBreakdown.jpg

-should have kept this. T'was brilliant.

While I'm at it my Porker off to see the CRUSHA;

Dead_Porsche_03.jpg

Retro-Rides show 2008, i'd got all the way from Essex to about a mile away from the venue - the museum at Gaydon Warwick

and the car conked out;

RR08202.jpg

RR08204.jpg

Ed BodieandDoyle having a tinker, turns out the brand new lucas condenser i'd fitted had packed up after 200miles, refit the old one and all was good. Car is now fitted with electronic igniton!

Great thread idea!

Not broken down, just stuck. Thanks The Wife!

Stuck2.jpg

The Bond was a disaster. Paid far too much for it, and about a mile into the 100 mile trip home, the rear brakes seized on. Arse. This trip ended on a recovery truck.

IMG_9739.jpg

The Mini is good at conking out in crap places. Here's its on a friendly person's drive after it failed to proceed on a blind bend.

IMG_4819-1.jpg

I guess the worst one has to be the Minor.

IMG_0025.jpg

Discovering the car your wife was driving sitting upside down in a ditch is not an experience you want - though discovering your wife comfortably sitting in a Police car nearby is rather lovely!

Just realised - the BX has never needed recovering, the 2CV hasn't ever been recovered (though it did have a few AA call outs many years ago) and the Mini - while it has conked out and refused to start many a time, has never failed to make it home - even when the condenser packed up! Perhaps not so shite then.

The beginnings of the dreaded Rootes paint in the fuel tank symptoms.

Img_6583.jpg

Was GR8 place to be until the pub shut and I had to wait another 2 hours for them to turn up :roll:

Img_6585.jpg

Herald's been on the back a few times. Last two were I think a 1500 head gasket going pop and then another 1500 melting a piston.

I had that on my Avenger. The paint comes off the inside of the tank and gets sucked into the carb. On my Avenger it would only happen if I tried to go faster than about 80mph. I became quite good at fixing it by the roadside, I just had to take the bottom off the float chamber and take the needle valve out.

I´ve been very lucky by now. I´ve had 11 cars in 9 years and every single one got me home everytime! But I had to get two of them towed to my garage. The Galloper had massive engine-trouble, but got me home and the Pajero V6 3000 suddenly burnt all it´s coolant only 2 miles from home. :mrgreen:

Touch wood, I've never really needed recovering by a recovery service, I've always had my dad and a tow rope to come and collect me.

The only time I've needed a recovery lorry was last year when i crashed my Passat and i wasn't in the best moods to start taking photos of that being cartted away.

4650954798_0fac2011fc_b.jpg

How embarrassing... by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Water pump packed up on the way to Alton Towers, about 1996. Noticed it when we’d stopped at the services, luckily it hadn’t lost all its water or overheated dramatically as we were cruising along.

I fitted one off a spare engine the next day and all was well.

The closest I have to a picture of The Volvo broken down is this one (I never thought of taking photos of the car on the rare occasions in the past when it has failed to proceed), taken at my workplace half-way through its last engine oil change in October, just after I realised that the old oil filter wasn't going to come off without a fight, having been on the car since summer 2009:

s640x480

Luckily, I found my three-legged removal whatnot in the boot about a minute after the photo was taken :)

Forgot one. The BX chaffed through its own water pipe on the BXagon Rally in 2009, while we were in East France. Cue a hasty bodge session in the hotel car park - it wasn't even the hotel we were stopping in! Hope they didn't mind us leaving coolant all over the place...

10333_175136978199_640023199_3787065_3591263_n.jpg

I thought enough people were checking progress, so I took pics instead. The chap underneath the car was an absolute saint. We'd barely turned the engine off and he was pulling it apart! A hasty trip to the nearest Citroen dealer failed to find the correct pipe, and a breakers couldn't help either, so we bodged it up with self-amalgamating tape and hoped for the best. Hardly perfect, but we did manage to climb a 2000m tall mountain! The low coolant light came on at the top, while we were in a tunnel. We had to top it up in a blizzard!

Went to Llangollen last year. Top of the Horsehoe Pass it started lobbing it down so rolled into the Ponderosa cafe and got about 0.00001 of a square inch into the carpark and the clutch cable pinged. Luckily one of the lads pictured had a spare so it was fitted in the pissing rain...

ScooterrunLlangollenJune2010013.jpg

Guest Leonard Hatred

PA160223Small.jpg

My old 405, it was just a puncture (at 80MPH :shock: ) though. Should have persevered with that machine, it was the best car in the real world.