deleted

scooters

It's alright, but I'm baffled as to why the whole theme of the show is about making money on old motors - they usually spend money on stuff which there's absolutely no hope of getting back in the sale price. I remember one where they replaced the standard radio equipment in a car (think it was a Merc 190E) with something like £400 worth of CD player. There was another where they spent a fortune on some brand new white Enkei wheels on an MX5.

They might as well just make it about fixing up cars for a bit of fun, get rid of the sales bit as it's clearly completely made-up and doesn't add anything to it.

I enjoy the buying and selling bit. One of my favourite bits involved Mike Brewer selling the newly restored Beetle. The first punter, a lady, came and had look at it then told him she only had six grand (it was up for 7k). Brewers response "Hold your hand out" as he went in for the shake hands "You've wasted my time.." :lol:

It's enjoyable television, but utter balls if it's seriously supposed to be about doing cars up and selling them on. As has already been said.

The episode I've just seen saw a Discovery TDi being sold at a £260 profit after several weeks poorly planned expenditure. If you sell a car at our dealership and only make £260 you're likely to face disciplinary proceedings for not fleecing customers enough.

Bit of luck Ed China seems to charge the most reasonable labour rates ever in the history of mankind.

I met them at last years NEC Classic Car Show, queue embarrassing photo! :oops:

5176539818_525de5848d_z.jpg

Mike Brewer and Edd China of Wheeler Dealers And Me by Trigger's Retro Road Tests!, on Flickr

Edd is a man mountain!, I'm 6ft tall!, They seem a decent bunch of guys and come over much better in real life then on screen, Most stuff is organised by the production company raither then Edd and Mike and the money comes from a kitty from the other car sales.

When you see Edd doing his repairs it's normally the 5th time that he's done it as he has to keep taking the parts on and of for the camera crew to film it.

Edd did admit that Paul does most of the work first though!

Yeah, the sales bit is just bollocks....they'd make a loss on every car if they took into account the average ' labour rate' for doing the jobs Ed does.

Although I'm not at all technical, I enjoy the 'Ed' bits because they're very calm and 'relaxed' compared to 'cheeky chappie' Mike Brewers frenetic 'in your faceness'. But I don't know who I would replace Brewer with as it seems that all TV car 'sales' people are knobs....

Quentin Wilson......is just plain creepy, like something out of the Addams Family......"first thing we'll do to this lovely Lancia Delta is ...errr...clock it.....'"

Jason Dawe.....thinks he's done well if he gets 6 months tax thrown in on an already overpriced car

Dominic Littlewood.....annovah 'orl roight mate' east-end cockney essex gor blimey luvvaduck geezah

can't fink of any more.........

Oh, the other thing thats a bit annoying is how they have to re-cap everything after EVERY ad break! Like you will have forgotten what the f**k they're doing while you made a cup of tea. Grrrrrrr...

I quite enjoy it actually. I think they usually spend far too much on things that don't matter and ask far too much for the finished product, but then I get irritated by "Bargain Hunt" which has idiots going round getting ripped off by dealers and usually losing loads of money on the items they bought to sell on at a profit. It's only fiction, not my favourite TV program, but not bad.

P.S. My dad bought a Montego estate from Dominic Littlewood once when he worked at a car dealership in Leigh about 10 years ago...

Yes, it's a load of baloney, but fairly watchable nonetheless. I had to larf at the DS episode, particularly where Brewer uses his pidgin French to enquire about the health of the engine.

RANDOM FACT - my wife's friend went on a blind date with Paul (Edd's knowledgeable helper) a couple of years ago, shame nothing more came of it as I'd have weedled a visit to the "set" if it had...

I like watching the cars getting done up, but the rest is painful, esp Mike Brewer putting all his weight on a bumper, and pointing out every tiny scratch on the car saying 'Oooh, that'll take a lot of work, that wiper's a bit old, that's an MOT fail', etc. Compared to Ice Road Truckers, Swamp Men, etc., it's amazing TV. I wish more attention was on the repairing car thing, and it went deeper (like detailed engine work), as there is nothing else on like it, unless it's horrible American TV with stock heavy metal music soundtrack running through it.

Dominic Littlewood.....annovah 'orl roight mate' east-end cockney essex gor blimey luvvaduck geezah

can't fink of any more.........

If it was on BBC he'd have to be a Glaswegian. As if the interminable stream of Cockneys isn't bad enough...

Oh, the other thing thats a bit annoying is how they have to re-cap everything after EVERY ad break! Like you will have forgotten what the f**k they're doing while you made a cup of tea. Grrrrrrr...

Scrapheap Challenge does that too, and yes, it's really annoying. For me, that's a great game spoiled.

As for Bargain Hunt, I love it! I actually applied to go on that, but now I've moved, I don't think I'll be getting the call, somehow. They did have something like three years to come back to me... :(

Yeah, where the "expert" gives a guide of "£50 to £100" for the antique cuckoo clock, and it sells in the end for £50 which is "Bang on fucking estimate".

Bang on? You mean bang on the least possible amount the expert thought it might sell for? Surely bang on estimate would be £75?

And the blonde thing in question is the horriblest gurning gormless hag on television.

What's the difference between Cash In The Attic and Car Booty?

There's supposed to be a difference?????? Actually I think the difference is in the selling estimates. Although somehow they always make at a car-boot at least 20 times more than the best day I ever had... and I had a 16ft caravan full of stock!

As a boot sale regular, I cringe when I watch those type of programs as the "expert" sets the prices of everything being taken to the boot sale at top dollar, forgetting that people who go to boot sales are tight and after a bargain, so not much gets sold and usually they spend all morning standing in the rain looking miserable for nothing. How they make money I have no idea...

The blonde bird is called Lorne Spicer, I heard she went bankrupt recently.

I like wheeler dealers despite it's cheeseyness, the US equivalents are just shots of quarter panels being chopped off and some aftermarket company saying how well their replacements fit (to a heavy metal sound track as someone else pointed out).

Talking of naff UK programs about selling stuff at boot sales, remember that show ‘Life Laundry’ where people struggling to dispose of stuff they have inherited have it all thrown in the back garden?

Mike Brewer - twat. Dominic Littlewood - twat and isn't he a BNP follower or something? Even more annoying, he got to dance with Lilia Copylova! Which tells you far too much about my telly viewing habits...

Admittedly that's on i-Player these days. I used to enjoy Bargain Hunt so downloaded one the other day. What a load of boring crap! Yet I used to be addicted to it.

I like Wheeler Dealers and I love the way dear old Mike never fails to impress me with his uncanny ability to buy a lemon. For me though, Edd China makes the show.

That said, I wish they'd give Edd's spanner monkey Paul Brackley a little more credit. The production team also needs to sort the piss-poor continuity as a lot of the

work is shown out of sequence and kind of makes the whole thing look somewhat amateur.