Importing Tat from France

Mr H Sceptre

Afternoon all

I think there was a thread about this subject already posted on here, but I can't for the life of me find it.

Anyway, it looks like I might be purchasing a rather special car in France & bringing it back to Blighty. So, having never attempted anything like this before, what do I neeed to do (incl paperwork etc etc)? Can I just bring it back & then worry about getting it sorted later? And then what has to be done once its over here.

All help/advice welcome as I don't know what I'm doing!

Thanks folks!

AS above. CG (Carte Grise is the V5c. If they lose it -they cant get another....

CG Controlle is the old MOT exempt class- so look for plenty of MOT issues. Once 'controlled' its irreversible, but usable in your & adjacent 'County'. They're much cheaper....

C.T (Controle Technique) is the MOT -valid 2 yrs. if it fails -you've 2 months on the road to sort it out- which is a good way of getting a shiter home..However, dont rely on it- its a lot easier than ours to pass.

Vendor will strike through the CG with 'Vendu & the the date'' -no worries. He'll also ask you to sign an official Cessation du vente- kinda legal receipt. No worries. Allows him to disenfranchise the motor.

Add an insurance cert & you're ready to go. Drive it home -no worries. Unless you speed -you're unlikely to be stopped- and if you are -you can baffle most with bureacratic bullshit & a total inability to speak French.

if its REALLY shonky, a set of UK number plates, tax disc -current Daily Mail in the rear window and big GB plates usually scares them off. Dont forget to take them off on the ferry -or just before though!

So -do tell

Well, I was going to keep it a secret, but what the hell! I've got my eye on a particularly nice Simca 1100 Break (estate). I shall be contacting the seller for the first time later this week, as that is hopefully when I'll have the money to make this dream a reality.

I'll obv ask all the questions re the CG/CT etc, & if the one I'm after is tickety-boo, then it looks like myself & m'colleague Mr Leyland will be having an Autoshite excursion to France........

Excellent, good luck with it. Look forward to reading all about it.

If anyone is interested in going to France I am taking the 14 for a bit of trip there sometime in the late spring hopefully, maybe Whitsun week. I promised the previous owner I would take it back to show him!!

If anyone wanted to come along, maybe to pick up some French tat for just for the ride let me know, although I know it is some way off yet!!

Wooo-hooo!

Mr Bollox, of this very parish, has kindly spoken to the owner & we have arranged to pick up the car next Thursday!!!

Can't blinking well bloody wait.

Going to spend a day or 2 bimbling round the Loire Valley, then hopefully an overnight stop a mate's in Paris, then home.

Today has made me very happy!!