1957 Austin A35 STOLEN

Torsten2001

I'm pretty close to the Ireland-route here, and I'm on it a fair bit every day, so my eyes have been peeled - as said though, it's more likely stayed local & amateur. Thoroughly gutting though, I'm so grateful it's never happened to me (with anything that matters, anyway)

It never even occurred to me that stuff like that ever gets stolen.

Probably because it's unusual and far easier to nick than a modern car

I completely accept the 'far easier to nick' bit,

but I would have thought that they'd be difficult/awkward to do anything with;

scrap/crush/sell on etc

but I would have thought that they'd be difficult/awkward to do anything with;

scrap/crush/sell on etc

Some scrap dealers will just turn a blind eye.

We had one next to our works which was being frequented daily by the sort of people you see on the Jeremy Kyle show pushing supermarket trolleys full of bis of copper and metal, most of it obviously dodgy. The two owners are now doing a couple of years at her majesty's pleasure for handling stolen goods.

I run a classic car inspection/ research company. Just found this from a thread on PH. We keep a database of classics, and I'll list it on there as stolen. If you want to email me the chassis/ engine number and any 'peculiarities' we can keep a log of that too.

Good luck anyway.

John (mail@classicstatusreport.com)

• 1 month later...
It never even occurred to me that stuff like that ever gets stolen.

Probably because it's unusual and far easier to nick than a modern car

they are ghastly things but I've become a big fan of the steering wheel locks that cover the wheel - the one I have on the van covers half the wheel and weighs a tonne- there's no way the van is going anywhere without a plasma cutter or a tow truck that can left the front wheels. I'm convinced that if I had had one on my 205 - I'd still have the car.

problem is that the good ones are expensive and when unlocked I worry about them flying around the car in an accident - could easily brain you.

The other thing I'm doing with the van is putting in a battery key and a hidden ignition switch. The more time I spend putting in hours of knuckle skinning back breaking work on the lump the less I would like to see some scrote nick it.

I really hope that this is your car Vek mate, I really felt for you when it got nicked, such a wonderful wee motor those and the 35 is much more practical in modern ttaffic than the 30- I'd love one and a European trip in one would be such a hoot.

R

The sad fact is that if someone wants to steal your car enough, they will. Whether it be hotwiring it, putting it on a flatbed, breaking into your house to steal the keys or carjacking you

This mentality really pisses me off. Sure, if someone REALLY wants your car, they'll just hiab it away - steering lock, immobiliser and all, but you have to make some effort. Not everyone is pinching cars with Hiabs - some tossers just want something that's easy to nick so they can thrash it around for a bit. If you've got some good, basic anti-theft in place, chances are they'll move on and find something else.

I had my shitty Fiat 127 broken into a few times ... :shock::shock: even if I had put in hidden switches etc, I still would have had to sort out the broken glass, bent door frame, damaged ignition barrel and bent steering column. I'm with the full steering wheel cover deterrent but they are pretty dear. I don't know how feasible it is to have a detachable steering wheel - I saw one recently (or rather didn't see it) but obviously on newer cars with airbags etc I guess it'd be much more difficult.

I had my shitty Fiat 127 broken into a few times ... :shock::shock: even if I had put in hidden switches etc, I still would have had to sort out the broken glass, bent door frame, damaged ignition barrel and bent steering column. I'm with the full steering wheel cover deterrent but they are pretty dear. I don't know how feasible it is to have a detachable steering wheel - I saw one recently (or rather didn't see it) but obviously on newer cars with airbags etc I guess it'd be much more difficult.

I think an issue driving shite (and I don't class the A35 as shite) is that wee scrotes often look at the car and think "noone cares about that". One thing a wheel lock does is to say "Someone values this car and cares for it so go away"

obviously, if your car is being nicked to order by a pro - it;s going whatever you do but the vast majority of car thefts are wee scrotes looking for fun therefore deterring them by is not a bad idea - yes the wheel lock might not stop them smashing a window but it might make them think twice about it - but, as you say, they are dear and another issue is that they don't often come in sizes suitable for the older wheel

The sad fact is that if someone wants to steal your car enough, they will. Whether it be hotwiring it, putting it on a flatbed, breaking into your house to steal the keys or carjacking you

This mentality really pisses me off. Sure, if someone REALLY wants your car, they'll just hiab it away - steering lock, immobiliser and all, but you have to make some effort. Not everyone is pinching cars with Hiabs - some tossers just want something that's easy to nick so they can thrash it around for a bit. If you've got some good, basic anti-theft in place, chances are they'll move on and find something else.

I do make the effort with a stoplok. Might sound wrong but I'd rather they nick the car next to me that looks an easier target