Most surprising car seen on a scrapman's wagon...

chaseracer

What puzzles me is when it's something basic like a mint one-owner MK1 Punto - even if you look under the bonnet and the engine is completely blown-up, you could get a replacement one fitted for buttons. I can understand the big barges being in there, or tatty high-mileage stuff, but never the simple ex-pensioner runarounds.

Most likely they'd be people of zero mechanical aptitude so would rely on the garage. Probably quote a silly price for repairs so cut their losses. Or were trying to sell it and got fed up of being messed around by mouth breathers

My '03 Rav4 is on borrowed time. The fact that it as been abused by successive staff, and the company not wanting to spend anything on servicing etc.

Been quoted 8000chf (£5000) to fix it up and replace the engine, which attempted to seize up on the motorway.

I changed and flushed the oil, which was like treacle, and took an hour and a half to drain!!

It's sad, was looking in the history, and it cost 32,000chf (£19,000) 7 years ago, and now it's pretty much scrap.

As far as I can recall the Civic had some catastrophic mechanical failure that wasn't covered by warranty, either because it was obvious abuse or it was modified I suppose. I didn't know the owner very well, I worked beside his wife. The car lasted longer than their marriage though.

The Punto was one of the first of the angular ones. IIRC I think he just neglected it until there were too many things wrong to fix and now I think of it there might have been a bit of a bump on third party insurance too.

The ex wife recently scrapped the mark 11 shape V reg Punto we bought new in 1999 as the head gasket had gone, and it was getting towards MOT time... thats just the way people think these days if there not into cars.

My tale starts with a house on the otherside of town where I regularly saw a lovely DS on the drive and a super Renault 16TX in period perfect metalic chocolate brown keeping it company...

Then one day driving to work a scrap wagon pulled up next to me with the hiab whacked down on the roof of a .... beautiful brown 16 TX ... the same one? Could have cried...

Somebody in the Leicester area tell me it aint so...

Couple of years ago I remember passing a house with a tidy-ish Scorpio 2.8 4x4 parked outside. I thought it of interest as I hadn't seen one for ages. A few days later I passed the same house to see the Scorpio bodyshell sticking out of a skip having been angle-grindered into bits.

Saw a tidy looking Citroen AX GT on the back of a hiab a few days ago near Brierley Hill. Though it had a bit of a bump on the front end. It wasnt clear if the car was going for scrap or repairs as the truck had no writing on it.

Seen a few Taroni trucks going about, one had a Rover 800 diesel on the back and towing a tidy Peugeot 106 (i think) phoned up Taroni's the next day and they had fragged both cars.

Saw another Taroni's truck with a tidy '02 Rover 25 on the back.

I have to say if that had been a Miura and a Dino I might have been shedding a tear, but those Playstations on wheels do absolutely nothing for me.

I must admit not really my cup of tea either, I'd be more interested if they were kupfer metallic with chrome bumpers, & maybe swap the rev counter for a clock.

Then one day driving to work a scrap wagon pulled up next to me with the hiab whacked down on the roof of a .... beautiful brown 16 TX ... the same one? Could have cried...

Somebody in the Leicester area tell me it aint so...

Welford road - not seen that Renault for a year or two now. Sad to think you could be right as it was a really smart car. The DS annoys me though as they have been using it 2 years or so on french plates :roll:

Today I saw a MK1 Jaguar on the way to the scrappy. A very rare car in this part of the lost world. It looked to be ok and all the glass was in place, but the hi-ab had been used to crush the roof in ( do they do that just for fun ? :( )

the hi-ab had been used to crush the roof in ( do they do that just for fun ? :( )

AFAIK they do it so the boom holds the load in place, thus saving the trouble of strapping/chaining the load. But yeah, it does look gratuitious, doesn't it?

My former neighbour did it to 'flatten' the bottom two layers of cars. His strapping was 'creative' to say the least - the time a Punto's front struts popped with the weight of Mondeo on top of it was interesting.

Most of them have the straight arm type HIAB (i.e doesn't park down the back of the cab), 'cos they buy them s/h off builder's merchants and lop the dropsides off.

Mind you, he had a trailer for his Cargo, and a beavertail Tranny for the motors he was keeping good!

That Biturbo pic makes my heart sink

Yes, so would owning it. Doesn't deserve a HIAB on the bonce though.

But not if I'd pulled the engine out and snuck an Alfa V6 in. At least it would stay on the road, look tidy, have a bit of oomph, and have a nice clock to look at.

Unless someone knows of a cat-B 8c with the arse stoved in? For cheap. Thought not. Would be an around the house way to get a Maserati engine back in it though.