RED-HOT SHITE ACTION: HARDCORE SHERPA MATERIAL

pogweasel

The story of the Himalayas trip in the two Sherpas is covered in Phil Llewellin's cracking book "The Road To Muckle Flugga", he joined the Leyland boys in driving the things from the UK. Superb read, although the brochure ain't quite correct in stating they only had minor problems...

Great stuff, I worked for a Leyland/DAF followed by DAF main dealer between 1988 and 2001 and know these things only too well! in particular the later 200 series vans with Perkins prima engines and then Peugeot diesels, and of course the bigger 400 series with Peugeot diesels and later models with Ford Transit running gear. They were all absolutely terrible, not one redeeming feature!

My Secondary School had a 400 series Minbus for ages, and it was the butt of many jokes with students and teachers alike. Apparently it didn't like going onto any grassy surfaces, and required a push start on more than the odd occassion. I can remember going to other schools when in the hockey team in it, and thinking they must have thought we were right cheapskates when it parked up next to their brand new Transits.

• 2 weeks later...
That must be one of the best brochures ever made, it's like they made with the future in mind. In a bizzare moment of WTF, a couple of weeks ago I spotted a 1977ish Sherpa pickup with a 'safe' looking homemade winch on the back, travelling through Blackwater.

Okay, so turns out this is actually a 1979 Leyland Sherpa, and it isn't a homemade wrecker, but a still working scrap wagon. I saw it up close and personal today. It is, without a doubt, perfect. And yes, I think the amount of hooky MOTs it has had are most likely in double figures.

Some of you may know about flickr, some of you may know about the groups and discussions on flickr.

One such is British Cars 1945-1975.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/britishcars/

BTW.There's a Marina on the front page at the mo...

It has a weekly photo contest, can you guess what the most recent theme was?

http://www.flickr.com/groups/britishcar ... 007510404/

I think TEH WINNAR was well deserved.

Just to whet your appetite here are a couple of pictures from the group.

4744751783_55c0793d0f_m.jpg

BERKSHIRE AMB 4X4 SHERPA by NW54 LONDON, on Flickr

4251097095_9d52c91c77_m.jpg

Sherpa ice cream van by fannyfadams, on Flickr

I haven't seen a proper Sherpa for ages. The last one I remember was this fire appliance I followed for a good number of miles last year on my way up to the Lakes. It was fantastic!!

DSC_2612.jpg

(sorry for the shit pic)

It's the one that's for sale!

9:30pm - Autoshite 999

Documentary following the shite emergency services

This week Fire Officer Pog takes delivery of a new

tender, and the Shitestown Police finally catch up

with dodgy minicab boss Dan Hirst.

Presented by Michael Buerk. ®(Not in Scotland)

!CFF11ZQ!Wk~$(KGrHqYOKkYE0++75R+hBNUB9Uyyj!~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHERPA-FIRE-ENGIN ... 0509902601

I've driven an ex ambulance example with a Rover v8 [no pas] which was probably the slowest v8 powered vehicle ever made.........

I bought the engine out of a crashed one, it was 1996 on a P reg and must have been one of the very last V8s on carbs??

I've driven an ex ambulance example with a Rover v8 [no pas] which was probably the slowest v8 powered vehicle ever made.........

I bought the engine out of a crashed one, it was 1996 on a P reg and must have been one of the very last V8s on carbs??

I don't suppose blood wagons have to go through a yearly emisions test...........