RED-HOT SHITE ACTION: HARDCORE SHERPA MATERIAL

pogweasel

Here is a treat for you.

A circa 1980 Austin-Morris-Leyland Sherpa Brochure. In full, uncensored and just gagging to please all your old van desires

5422965582_9d74c1db28_b.jpg

CCF02022011_00000 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

5422966162_4ee155bcfa_b.jpg

CCF02022011_00001 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

5422966794_5495dbf330_b.jpg

CCF02022011_00002 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

5422967580_ebbe407aef_b.jpg

CCF02022011_00003 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

5422362207_e3e3e6911d_b.jpg

CCF02022011_00004 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

5422362805_bdcc5a86f6_b.jpg

CCF02022011_00005 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

5422969408_9c9743e28d_b.jpg

CCF02022011_00006 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

5422364081_484f17b726_b.jpg

CCF02022011_00007 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

5422364591_238c435935_b.jpg

CCF02022011_00008 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

5422971380_4f6302214c_b.jpg

CCF02022011_00009 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

5422365817_09074bb4a9_b.jpg

CCF02022011_00010 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

5422972674_1fa8072eda_b.jpg

CCF02022011_00011 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

5422366911_31fccfb4a2_b.jpg

CCF02022011_00012 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

5422973740_a5da7bdf7a_b.jpg

CCF02022011_00013 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

5422368165_77a1a9ec3d_b.jpg

CCF02022011_00014 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

5422368739_9b350fdf63_b.jpg

CCF02022011_00015 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

5422975110_e7aae0e4ac_b.jpg

CCF02022011_00016 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

And a slightly shit attempt at getting all that CENTREFOLD in one shot, just for your pleasure.

5422369697_5a53df373b_b.jpg

CCF02022011_00018 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

Now if that doesn't get you HOT AND BOTHERED, I don't know what will.

8)

I think my first commercial driving experience was in a 1700 'O' series Sherpa van. I vividly recall it being so fucking slow that when it was replaced by a 400* series with a 2.5 Pugrot diesel engine the 400 felt like a Ferrari by comparison.

They still had a certain charm though and the boat tailed pick up the company I worked for had (like the red fire engine one) pictured above was ace. I say ace but I actually mean it need welding about eleven times a week and was completely shagged. Absolutely love to have now now though.

*It might have been a 300 now I think about it.

I'm constantly amazed that they stuck with the cranked gear lever, thro' every evolution of the breed. Come to that, ditto for the drop beam front axle. They always looked the same, somehow, until the end, too.

Always shite, always noisy, uncomfortable, slow and thirsty...but endearing 'cos you could kick 'em straight, and the parts were cheap!

And yet, I still want to stick a big TDi in a 200/Pilot for shit'n'giggles :roll:

That brochure is full of win!, I love how it's a 1980 brochure with 1975-76 plated vans in it.

A old job i had used to have a L reg LDV 200 van, what a POS it was, It had the heaviest clutch and steering I've ever come across, Dangerously bad in fact, and it was slow, I was relived when i was given the G reg Maestro 2.0D Van to use instead.

An LDV 200 pickup ranks 3rd in my worst ever vehicles list, behind only a Freelander and the Nissan Pao... it was lovingly referred to as 'the shitter' whereas my works weapon of choice was a Vauxhall Brava ( The Pig)

At a motor show when I was a kid, I'm sure there was a video on the Sherpa stand of one being jumped off a ramp. The poor old van was being driven down a field, then in a quite surreal way there was a white wedge shaped very steep ramp that it launched up. Just bonkers.

Wonder if the video still exists?

That brochure is full of win!, I love how it's a 1980 brochure with 1975-76 plated vans in it.

A old job i had used to have a L reg LDV 200 van, what a POS it was, It had the heaviest clutch and steering I've ever come across, Dangerously bad in fact, and it was slow, I was relived when i was given the G reg Maestro 2.0D Van to use instead.

Had two LDV200 crewbuses which were the early ones and had Perkins 2.0 lumps. Fair play they couldn't half go some and had bags of torque. Later ones had 1.9n/a PSA engines and were plenty slow.

If anyone's desperate enough I know where there used to be (and probably still is) an early-ish one in a semi-restored state not far from Oswestry.

They used to be known as 'Shirkers' in the trade, although they were tough old bastards. Better than a Mark 1/2 Transit? They sold very well iirc, and typical of BL, they neglected it and sold off what could have been a very profitable business.

I still refer to the LDV versions as a Sherpa - which did very well out of a van developed from the old J4 (1958?) in the early seventies. I'll have a grey one with an 1800 B Series. :P

I think that the 12-seater minibus there is probably the most shite yet useful creation I could ever dream of.

Wonder if ANY of that style survive....?

The one we had as a scout group mini bus with suicidal sliding doors certainly didnt after Malcolm twatted it into a dry stone wall in Borrowdale avoiding a flat capped twat on a delivery bike.

I have a 1974 Leyland 240 autosleeper - renamed the Sherpa in 1975. I totally love this vehicle and feel that some of the comments above are pretty harsh.

The van handles no worse than any other 60's van I have driven (ok it is a 70's vehicle but it ain't that bad) - no power steering and quite primative suspension but it does the job on the move and handles pretty well on the open road. It is certainly not thirsty - mine is a 1.8lt B series petrol and returns around 30-35mpg and that is lugging around several hundred weight of plywood and campervan fittings not to mention the top heavy roof. The B series is cheap to service and very reliable as it is very simple. The gearing on these vehicles is incredibly low and it is a very powerful vehicle at the low end - will quite easily rip out tree stumps in 1st and 2nd - 4th gear is good from 20mph upwards - very BMC when you think about it - A road cruising is good for 50mph and Motorways at 60mph - not bad for the period and seems to make no difference when carrying a load.

The crooked gearstick makes it easier to walk through the cab

The survivors were mostly rustproofed from new. But bodywork wise these vehicles are incredibly tough - thick steel ladder chassis and serious panels

They are a nice place to be with plenty of light in the buses and campers

If you want a reliable, cheap to run camper without the stupid scene tax and with a better safety record than the Commer or J4 with more robust mechanicals then you can do a lot worse than a Sherpa Autosleeper - you can get a minter for under 3 grand and a good working example - like mine for under £1500....you can keep you Commers and your Type 2-s sherpa for me everytime!!

I remember seeing a V reg Pilot with slidey doors and a lift up tailgate and wondered if this was the last van sold with slidey doors? Could you choose just one slidey door for ultra measliness?

Anyway, as I've probably mentioned plenty of times before on here, I used to work as a diver for Royal Mail so have a bit of a soft spot for 'Sherpas', since they never got rid of their name with RM staff. Here are some of my abiding memories of driving possibly some of the most abused vans in history:

Sliding side door falling off

Gear stick breaking inside the rubber gaiter, seeing the van stuck in reverse and left with a comedy floppy gearstick

Turning the ignition off back at the mail centre, taking the key out and the van still running

Steering box 'instability' after pressing on a bit (about 50mph)

Rubber floor matting worn down to the metal (itself worn bare) near the pedals

Reading this thread though has only made me want to drive another. And possibly own one at some point too. The only sherpa I've seen for sale in NZ had the original front but wasn't registered until 1983. There may be hope yet.

@ cav_estate: did they also have the pov-spec seats which didn't adjust for height? ParcelFarce's 400's did, and half the time it felt like I was sitting on the floor, peering over the instruments.

Yes, they had those seats, usually with large gouges taken out of them. I really couldn't understand why people would piss on their own doorstep, so to speak, even if they were seen at the time by the posties as vastly inferior to the Transits which were replacing them. Can't say the seating position caused any issues, though I may be a little weird, as I'd always put the seat down in the bottom position in Daf LFs and then rake the steering wheel down low - very comfy.

I do remember a young lad arriving at the mail centre in a LWB Convoy and walking through the van and emerging through the back door onto the landing, since there was only the drivers seat and small bulkhead cage up front. At that point he realised that he'd left the keys in the ignition and the back doors self lock on shutting. Fortunately, one of RM's LDV keys worked but he left very shame-faced. Don't think he'd have been so lucky with a Transit.

Well said Scooters. The Leyland Sherpa Motorhome (Highwayman for me please) is a super old tool. They are tough and long lasting. Ok, they were old fashoined when new, but so were a lot of LCVs from that era. I have worked on most LCVs built from the 70's and the Sherpa has a certain charm to it that others lack. Maybe I am waxing lyical as I am picking up my LDV Pilot panel van that I bought yesterday......... Can't wait.

I am picking up my LDV Pilot panel van that I bought yesterday......... Can't wait.

Photos asap please, thanks.

Cheers for posting this lot up Pog I've never seen a sherpa tipper before. There was a roofer with one of those pick up jobbies near me when I was a lad with a big fuck off ladder half in the back.

I'd generally agree Scooters, but I've driven an H van. Incredible to think that this front-wheel drive tin shed on wheels was launched in 1947! Sure, it's slow (50mph noisy cruising in top - third - gear) and the ride's a bit bouncy (torsion bars all-round) but it handles like a Mini, thereby pissing all over anything churned out from Washwood Heath. Can't help thinking that if Citroen had actually developed it during it's incredible 34 year production life (like fitting and engine and gearbox that didn't date from the 1930s perhaps) it would have been an astonishing tool.

That said, my LDV 400 beavertail was a fine old truck. Had the turbo diesel Peugeot motor and would happily barrel along at 70mph. No PAS, so as light to drive as an H van (not at all then) but was great for just getting on with it. I've been a passenger in a Pilot (horrendous - there were three of us) and driven a Convoy (Transit engine, hideous kingpin wobble, horrendous dashboard) and rather prefer the 200/400.

Collected my Pilot...!! love it....If i'm not driving it, i'm polishing it.... It will be going to the bodyshop soon for a few repairs, then I will polish it some more!. I am however a little upset the diff is quiet, where has the wailing Sherpa diff gone???. All was revealed on the ramp at work.... shock, horror a bloody DANA axle!!.

That must be one of the best brochures ever made, it's like they made with the future in mind. In a bizzare moment of WTF, a couple of weeks ago I spotted a 1977ish Sherpa pickup with a 'safe' looking homemade winch on the back, travelling through Blackwater.