Endangered '90s tat

Formula Autos

I had a Mk1 Prim - 2.0 SLX. Cost me £180, and did me well for a while. Until I priced up getting all the front suspension fixed, at which point it went over the bridge. There's a bit of a parallel with the Mondeo there; other cars in Nissan's range were simpler, and cheaper to fix (or more obviously exciting!). They survived better than the expensive to fix one.

I'd still have a tidy early eGT.

Skoda Favorits. I can't remember the last time I saw a working one.

There's still a few about, I bought this 1 nearly 2 weeks ago, it's a SILVERLINE special edition, came with tax till end of Feb, and MoT till Oct 2011.

Bam8.jpg

Bam7.jpg

Price paid £100

Distance travelled to collect. 224 miles (448 mile round trip)

We certainly be shouldn't saving those old Passats. In fact any left should be crushed on the spot. Had a couple years back (when desperate obviously) and can't think of a single redeeming feature.

Early (pre-facelift) Mk3 Cavaliers are getting rarer now, ditto Mk1 Mongdeos and Sierras.

What went wrong with the front suspension?

Erm, everything. Seriously, tho'; there was a bit of a knocking from time to time, on both sides. I put it down to being the anti-roll bar drop links (fairly common), but the tester said otherwise. I do trust the guy, he's always done ok for me, so when he points out shagged top mounts and a number of perished bushes in the wishbones, I know he's telling the truth.

Like I say, it cost me £180, owed me nothing and so I didn't think twice about binning it. It would have cost way more to fix than it was worth. In fact, it would have cost me more to fix than the Passat I bagged at Kinross Auctions...

We certainly be shouldn't saving those old Passats. In fact any left should be crushed on the spot. Had a couple years back (when desperate obviously) and can't think of a single redeeming feature.

Well, if you don't like them that much, send them to me. They'll be out of your way, and I can run a sanctuary for old Passats in terminal decline. :wink: Love 'em...great motors.

Danger of repetition here but I cant remember when I last saw:

1) - An Unmodified Renault 5

2) - Peugeot 205 (actually 106's are getting scarce too)

3) - Fiat Uno

4) - Mk 1 Seat Ibiza

Also havent seen a mark 1 Nissan Micra for many months and they used to be everywhere.

Phase 1 Safrane(except mine!!)

Even phase 2 are getting rare,but phase 1s are near extinct,i drive around all day in my works van with my Safrane radar on high alert and i haven,t seen 1 this week at all

I,ve now come to the conclusion that my V6 safrane must be one of only a small handful left on the road.

I have seen a few 2.2 phase 1s but not for a few weeks....

The problem with the V6 was the electrics,and the autobox,NOT Renaults best and sent several to the knackers yard due to vaste expense to repair.

Vauxhall Belmont

Standard Calibre's

Sorry to be a pedant but do you mean Calibre or Calibra? The former are very rare indeed now and there was only ever 500 made in the first place. Not seen one in years now, save one which has been for sale for seemingly light years. Shouldn't have sold mine but a moment of madness and a bloody good offer tempted me.

I'm often in the presence of a selection of 205s and Unos over here, and could dig out a Mk1 Micra without too much trouble. Middle-aged Jap motors are still very popular in Cyprus, so yer Nissan Sunny/Toyota Corolla/Mitsubishi Lancer survives well. The ones that cause the real stirrings are the Brits. The other day I saw a 3-door Sierra in (I think) Fjord Blue. Fairly sure it was a 1/6L, it certainly had the early front with the slats. Also had big alloys on though. Occasionally I'll see a Metro out and about, which is rare enough to remark on.

Well folks think the god of 90s tat has been smiling down on me, in the space of 5 minutes as ive bin driving to work ive seen a wedge shape 3 door rover 214i parked up a wedge rover 400 driving and as if that wasnt enough 2 cars behind the 400 there was a phase 1 pug 106

Cavette wrote:

save one which has been for sale for seemingly light years.

3 month old Gumtree add, apparently listed previously This one?

There was a Calibre around these parts for years and it always seemed to be well looked after and unmessed with whenever I saw it. Then it suddenly vanished. No idea what became of it.

Ooh, haven't seen that one before. The one I noticed for sale for ages had been modified a bit I think, leather seats and 17" wheels etc. To me they're too rare to piss about with and it'd be a nightmare trying to find original trim etc.

Mine (was A2 EWJ when I got it then E258 AUX iirc) and had been a Vauxhall manager at the Luton plant's car then one private owner after that. It'd had a brand new engine about a year before I got it (£1800!) and was completely standard and original. Oddly enough I'd seen three for sale at the time (about 10 years back now) all reasonably close to one another. Mine was from Mid Wales and I'd seen in it in a garage in Machynlleth being MOT'd so left a message for the owner.

Next MOT a year later it'd had rotted to bollocks under the kit and the fuel tank had sprung a leak so I spent about £500 getting it done then sold it a few months later. The lad I sold it to apparantly managed to blow the engine up but I last heard he had got it fixed.

The Gumtree one seems pretty expensive but if it's tidy and original it's not too far off the money as they're bloody rare now.

RE P10/mk1 Primeras. D Hirst does own one, a GT with all the trimmings.

DSCF2613.jpg

The chap that's doing the work on escRot has just taken in, from an old boy who recently stopped driving, a H plate 1.6L (carbed) Primera. It looks pretty damn tidy actually with only a couple of blebs on the rear arches. It even has a Shell Gallons>litres conversion sticker in the rear window.

I know he gave peanuts for it, and was going to try and tempt it from his grasp with £150 or so...

Ultimately it all depends where you live. There is a H reg Primera and a Phase one Safrane right on my doorstep, but they are the most interesting cars on my street now. Sierras are thinning out pretty rapidly, quite a few of the local ones I knew of were scrapped last year, and the prefacelift revised models are now very uncommon to see out and about. Same goes for the MKIII Granada, and sadly the one I used to see all the time (and is on streetview parked outside) is now likely consigned to the scrapheap as the owner recently died.

Weirdly I seem to see more N13 Sunnys than the one which replaced it now, and more late Cavaliers than early Vectras, but I think that's fairly self explanatory.

One car which has virtually disappeared around here bar a few lucky examples is the first generation Kia Mentor, although I doubt they were ever THAT common to begin with:

5404274374_ca64ebe438_z.jpg

1997 Kia Mentor 1.5 GLX Hatchback. by bramm77, on Flickr

And there does appear to be loads of post MPI Protons still about, the one based on the 90s Lancer? They outnumber the Mitsubishis they were based on by quite a substantial margain.

Danger of repetition here but I cant remember when I last saw:

1) - An Unmodified Renault 5

2) - Peugeot 205 (actually 106's are getting scarce too)

3) - Fiat Uno

4) - Mk 1 Seat Ibiza

Also havent seen a mark 1 Nissan Micra for many months and they used to be everywhere.

1) - there are two at least locally to me, saw one of them yesterday. J-reg I think.

2) - Most days, my mate drives a battered 1.1 Zest and there are at least a dozen I can think of locally.

3) - every day, there's one at the bottom of the lane where I work. Really need to get photos of it.

4) - You've got me there, I only ever see Mk1 Toledos now.

Saw one of these today!

2936_6225.jpg

The 'not seen one of them for ages' buzzer went off.

Surely never... is that a 340 Redline?! My mate had one (F199 EGE) to replace his Proton Persona after it shat all it's seals. Quite a good car until the front end collapsed.