Triumph Mayflower - shite?

Angrydicky

I think the Mayflower is one of the worse cars i know!, It just reminds me of death everytime i see one!, I read that they are dangerously slow as well, I wouldn't know how true that was.

I've seen this one a few times in a yards near me.

4575760627_a111f17aeb_b.jpg

1953 Triumph Mayflower in Colchester by Trigger's Retro Road Tests!, on Flickr

4575804405_c8edc7777a_b.jpg

1953 Triumph Mayflower in Colchester by Trigger's Retro Road Tests!, on Flickr

This was mine bought in 1980 when I was 18, it turned out to have concrete in the sills, I stupidly embarked on restoring it but 7 years later having got married and moved house twice not much progress had been made and I'd discovered proper cars, so I admitted defeat and stripped it (it was worth far more in bits, plus I had bought lots of NOS parts along the way) I sold the rolling shell twice, once to a guy "darn Sarf" who 6 months later still hadn't collected it, wasn't answering his phone or replying to numerous letters so it got sold again to somebody up t'North.

scan0001-2.jpg

They are pretty horrible by all accounts, but if you want one, do it!

Don't spend too much money though, I can't imagine they are that easy to sell on.

Seeing as you are local to Trig, I'd sniff that one out in Colchester, and see if a cheeky bid of £whatever would tempt the owner.

Dosen't look like its doing much sitting there, and dosen't look too bad body - wise.

You cannot compare a mayflower with a morris 1000 there is 8 years difference in design between the two. Fairer would be to compare it with the 1953 minor which was still a revolutionary design by Ignossisiss.

You have to put the mayflower into context. Most post war British tin was based on prewar design. The county was on its knees economically and business had to go with what was available and what could be produced in the ruined factories and war economy of the county.

Standard were doing what everyone else was which wad to rehash old technology into something the common man could afford.

The minor and the early 50s saw the UK invigorating after the austerity of the 40s and was a good embodiment of the new elizabethan age. As a 1940s car the mayflower performance is entirely acceptable.

It's an important historical vehicle because it highlights the many industrial and social issues we had as our imperial power declined. It's also a cheap way into 40s motoring but it needs to be treated as such

Seeing as you are local to Trig, I'd sniff that one out in Colchester, and see if a cheeky bid of £whatever would tempt the owner.

Dosen't look like its doing much sitting there, and dosen't look too bad body - wise.

Hmm, I don't like the principle of buying a plate-raped old car from a numberplate dealer particularly, and I've already got one black car with rust stains. Having said that, I would be very tempted if it was mega cheap.

I vaguely remember an article on someone converting a Mayflower to Triumph TR running gear, probably in Hot Car or Cars and Car Conversions, must be in the 1970's and if I remember it correctly the owner was something to do with Tuf shoes with the Mayflower wearing a TUF registration. I did see a Mayflower Drophead for sale years ago, whether this was also an Australian job or home-made I have no idea.

That rodded Mayflower was in Hot Car, I've got a horrible feeling that the issue it was in was among those binned by my mum when I left them in the loft at my parents' house after I moved out :roll: . I will check the ones I've got tho', the ones I bought for £2 for a big boxfull from a car boot... :D

In fact, that's just reminded me that there is/was a Mayflower festering on a drive round the corner from my Mum and Dad's house.

I think the Mayflower is fantastic. I'd buy one in a second if one came available and I had the means at the time. Rare over here but there are a few. I think I'd probably put a Spitfire engine with a more relaxed ratio rear axle though.