Irish Shite

Ross_K

Apologies in advance for the crap camera-phone photo quality on some of these...

Ford Capri Ghia 2.0. Horrible shade of brown with matching vinyl roof...

Anybody know what year it could be? These ZV import plates give you no idea how old a car is.

Posted Image

1977 Mercedes W123 E-Class 2.2 auto.

Posted Image

Yeah, there are a few like www.cartell.ie but you have to pay for anything more than basic info like make/model/engine size. :(

Vehicle DescriptionRegistration ZV8574 Make FORD Model CAPRI Description I 3DR A GH II Engine Capacity(cc) 1993 Fuel Type PETROL Shame that as the year is left out. I Seem to think the mk2 capri was 1974 to 1977/8.

So little shite in Ireland that I might as well post a couple of mine in this thread rather than start a new one

Opel Ascona

Posted Image

Passat in hearing aid beige, sorry about crap pic

Posted Image

Cortina MkIV, ZV plates so this one will have been imported from Blighty

Posted Image

Liking that Ascona. Is there a reason why there are very little in terms of shite in Ireland? Does the government have an active scrapping policy? I recall going to Southern Ireland years ago and noticed old japanese cars and 60's stuff everywhere.

Government ran an active "Scrappage Scheme" during the early nineties to rid the road of old cars. Dealers still often advertise such schemes to sell used cars.This is why the numbers late 70's/late 80's cars are so small.John

Yep, as Renomad says there was a scrappage scheme in 1995-1997. If you bought a new car and scrapped one over ten years old, you got 1000 quid from the state towards the cost of the new car. 60,000 owners availed of the scheme. Then in the year 2000 our equivalent of the MOT test was brought in. Yes that's right - there was no roadworthiness testing until then! When it was introduced a lot of remaining tat that survived the scrapage scheme was wiped out

Although I still enjoy a trip to Ireland I have to admit some of the thrill has gone since the tat disappeared.I can't remember the model of car, but I'll never forget the sight of an old boy tootling along a bog road in something gold with no headlights, no tail lights and the boot held on with string. :)

I can't remember the model of car, but I'll never forget the sight of an old boy tootling along a bog road in something gold with no headlights, no tail lights and the boot held on with string. :)

Probably driving something like a Jetta. With a dead farm animal hanging out of the boot...

Thing is though, once a car reaches 30 years old here it no longer has to do a roadworthiness test. Although its unlikely that you will see a classic car that's in bits there are some shoddy MOT failures coming over from the UK.On another forum somone posted pics of a Ford 105E in the West of ireland. Used everyday, left out in all weathers, looks 100% original but very rusty would likely never pass a test if it had to do oneedit: here it ishttp://www.octane.ie/forum/showthread.p ... 559&page=5Oh and road tax for a 30 year old car is a nominal fee of around 50 quid. If you have say a 3.5 litre car and its a 1979 it'll cost around 1400 euro a year to tax but next year it'll be down to 50 euro!

On another forum somone posted pics of a Ford 105E in the West of ireland. Used everyday, left out in all weathers, looks 100% original but very rusty would likely never pass a test if it had to do one!

The sills on that look nearly as bad as the ones on the BX I bought off eob. :shock:

Yep, I remember the BX saga. A BX GTi or 4x4 wasn't it? Have not seen any of those for a long time. In the last few years I've seen only one or two BXs of any description on the roads here, amazing how they have disappeared.Just looking through the other thread what do ye all think of this Mk2 Fiesta? I'm LMAO :D Pricelesshttp://www.octane.ie/forum/attachment.p ... 1202507760

Yep, I remember the BX saga. A BX GTi or 4x4 wasn't it? Have not seen any of those for a long time. In the last few years I've seen only one or two BXs of any description on the roads here, amazing how they have disappeared.

Yeah it was a GTi 4x4. I had a thread about it here ages ago which went missing along in the purge. It originally came from Scotland so the sills probably weren't up to much before it got to Ireland. :D I never got around to doing much to it for a variety of reasons. I stuck it on jumbletown, free to take away, but didn't have any takers. I ended up breaking it and ebaying the bits - and doubled what I paid for it. :D The alloys are still in my shed somewhere. I'll re-use them some day.I've seen a good few BXs around Cork recently but I never seem to have a camera with me when they appear. :roll: There's a dark blue GTi 8V, a ratty beige diesel, and three or four French and German ones including a red 4x4 estate.

I'm bemused that BXs have disappeared as quickly as GS / GSAs, I'd have thought that the more plastic based body would have meant they'd have hung around longer!

The BX's bodywork did last a lot longer than the GS, which if I remember correctly was particularly rust prone. However high depreciation led to low secondhand values, and the cautious old car buyer has always been wary of 'weird' Citroens.It's happening with Xantias now really - most banger buyers won't look at one unless they are 'in the know'.

Just a couple from today:

Honda Concerto 1.5i outside the local Polish squat. Number plate in the current position adds 10mph to the top speed. :roll:

Posted Image

These things are so common now. Probably cost 8 or 10 grand, or some other unfeasibly large amount... There was a pretty mint Mk1 Cortina just up the street so there's probably an old Ford fetishist loose in this little village.

Posted Image

My favourite. A '94 Uno diesel car van. Crusty enough... I would have got a few more pics if it hadn't been pissing down.

Posted Image

Can't say I'm a fan of those "ageless" ZV plates they fit to old tin imported to Eire, are they compulsory for vehs over a certain age? I'd much rather have "73DL123" or whateverWhat was the Craggy Island local index mark? :lol:

Can't say I'm a fan of those "ageless" ZV plates they fit to old tin imported to Eire, are they compulsory for vehs over a certain age? I'd much rather have "73DL123" or whatever

What was the Craggy Island local index mark?

No, you get a choice of ZV or the year of first registration on the old stuff.

I dunno why people pick the ZV plates either...

Gratuitous Craggy Island shot coming up: :lol:

Posted Image

Ugh. Boards. Sorry, but I'd rather be buggered by AIDS-infected baboons than visit that site, let alone read the bilge everyone posts there. It's like somebody rounded up every pedantic know-it-all teenager in the country and stuck them all in one place to keep an eye on them.Pity you can't rip all the photos from said thread and stick em up here. :wink:

I love looking at derelict Irish shite, which is why I look at http://www.kellstransportmuseum.com/ , seeing the shagged-out scrap this guy insists on describing as "perfect" produces no end of mirth.Semi-topically, here's what he has to say about plates. I wonder what the authorities have to say about him:Things down here are not what they seem - if they ever were! Bristol RELL6G 2531 still carries her AXI 2531 plates everywhere she goes and will never carry southern plates. However, all vehicles coming south for insurance purposes have a southern equivalent which in her case is 84 C 3716 even though she will never carry it. It is purely a paperwork exercise. This applies to all our Northern and UK vehicles and in fact any vehicles we have which currently have southern plates will revert to their UK or NI plates and will wear them at all times even on the roads in the south. I know it sounds crazy but surely it is better than having that horrible 84 C plate in her! Even more to the point NI vehicles which have been reregistered in the north will also revert to their original northern plates. So it is possible for a northern vehicle to come down south and meet an older vehicle on the road with the exact identical plates. What a photograph that would be!Certifiable.

Boards Classic Cars forum is good though, very different atmosphere to the main Motors forum which is full of knobs. Strangely, some posters that are knobs in the main forum are decent contributors in the Classic forum :?